Vacation

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Scarletfire

Vacation

Post by Scarletfire » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:58 pm

I'll be going on vacation for 7 days, returning on the 8th. Any tips? I don't know anyone in the area that knows what to do with hermit crabs. If I leave only dry food out, enough for the week, and change out the water with a few extra drops of prime... And ensure all humidifiers are good... Anything extra to consider? Must vs good to have tips?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Maddamay32

Re: Vacation

Post by Maddamay32 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:11 pm

Just leave plenty of dry food for them and make sure there heat/humidity will be stable. I don't think it's necessary to add any more drops of prime to their water than usual though. I can't really think of much else to consider, really depends on other factors. If you have any other pets maybe keep them separated lol, I never let my cat alone near them for too long! Maybe you can have someone come over for like 1 day, just to give you any updates?
8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:29 pm

I give biscuits. Coconut, protein, flower, etc. A big bowl of calcium. Sometimes I do a salad bowl for them too. Nuts and seeds are good as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:57 pm

I have left mine for a week without problems. Filled up the bowls, and left dry food. Last time, I put different foods in different bowls - calcium in one, leaf litter in another, etc. Of course the food will be moldy by the time you get back, but the crabs don't mind. LOL.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Pincher

Post by Pincher » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:51 am

In the same situation, dry food resulted in molt.

What worked well for us:
- putting in two extra water bowls (one freshwater, one saltwater)
- putting in more calcium food as that absolutely cannot molt (egg shells, crab exoskeleton from the beach, cuttlebone...)
- nuts and seeds only in an amount that will be eaten within two days, otherwise we found that a lot (!) of molt started to grow (crabs seem to not care if there is a bit of mold, they are scavengers; but the seeds were covered with thick molt, that cannot be eaten)
- lots of leafs, salad; we had never molt problems with that.

If somebody was available who could do some basic care, we put additional food in the fridge or left prepared bowls with dry food on the table and just asked that person to switch bowls. E.g. putting in a bowl of seeds and nuts two days before we returned. Usually even people who don't like to care for pets will do that.