Brand New Hermit Crab Owners!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Nicnacpaddywack

Brand New Hermit Crab Owners!

Post by Nicnacpaddywack » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:02 pm

We just came home from the beach last night with two hermit crabs. Upon reading about them, we realized there is much more to their care than we realized. We bought them about a 30 gallon tank today, and we are excited to begin building their home. There seems to be conflicting information on the best way to care for them online though. Help!!! We have just a tank and that's it at this point, other than the sponge and food they came with. What is the best substrate, environment, the things we have to get first and foremost? Thanks so much!

Xenocrab

Re: Brand New Hermit Crab Owners!

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Read the care sheets on here carefully. There's a lot to know and you are starting from scratch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:22 pm

Hello and welcome to crabbing! Like Xeno said, read through the care sheets:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... .php?f=120

I have had my two crabs for almost 9 years. I have used the HCA exclusively for information, and they have thrived! People on this site are happy to help answer any questions and help out when needed.

Most of us use a mix of play sand (cheap at a hardware store) and EE (Eco Earth/ coco fiber), a 5 parts sand to 1 part EE is most common. Use dechlorinated fresh water to moisten it to sandcastle consistency.
You will nee a dechlorinator and marine salt. A thermometer/ hygrometer (digital are more accurate than analog). Water dishes/ pools deep enough for them to submerge but also have a way to climb out. A varied diet. Let us know if you have any questions after looking at the care sheets!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Nicnacpaddywack

Post by Nicnacpaddywack » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:43 am

Thanks guys!

We have our substrate set up. We did as suggested and went with a 5:1 mixture of play sand to coconut fiber. We got them a coconut shell to hide under and a bonsai tree for now. They also have a sponge, and we have a thermometer and humidity meter in their aquarium, which is great temp on its own now here in AL.

We have fed them hermit crab food mix from the pet store that came with them, apples, and dried anchovies for protein. My mother is cutting me a custom piece of plexiglass so I can make them a separate place with a pond and we are going to give them climbing material to get in and out with 4 inches of water inside with pebbles at the bottom.

I am also going to get them some of the little netting I have seen and make them a ladder and walkway to a platform above. Right now they are small and in a 30 gallon tank, but we already know that we want to get a 75 gallon and will be looking for that in thrift stores and changing once we find it.

For now, we ordered an Ultratherm heating pad on The Bean Farm website. Hopefully that will come soon, and we are going to go to the craft store to see if they have extra shells. We purchased them in painted shells without knowing the harm to them. Will they be okay if they don't switch into the unpainted ones we will buy soon?

We made them up a whole gallon of saltwater as well, and we put them a cup of that into their crabitat.

We are very excited at how active and happy they seem already in their new environment, although stressed, I would say. They've been through quite a bit, I'm sure.

Once we get the plexiglass and pebbles added in for them to have a little pond, I will post pictures of their home so you guys can let me know how it works.

Thanks everyone for all of the great information!

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:06 pm

The sponge isn't needed. It's holds bacteria. Sounds like you are on your way to having a great crabitat! It's a lot of work, but it's fun. Your crabbies will appreciate it!

Topic author
Nicnacpaddywack

Post by Nicnacpaddywack » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Oh thank you for that tip. I had no idea! More information that I was told incorrectly. I was told that it was one of the most important things they need. Aghh!!!
And, we got our heating pad and put it on yesterday and we're building them a pond today. We will just add a walkway and hammock and then should have it all done for them.
This has been the most helpful group!!

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:22 pm

There's a lot of false information out there, that's why I highly recommend the care sheets here.