EMERGENCY!!!! I thought my crab was dead!!!

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Theused1991

EMERGENCY!!!! I thought my crab was dead!!!

Post by Theused1991 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:35 pm

So this is how it all happened.
Went on vacation, bought a couple hermit crabs. 7-22-19
When I got home I got them a 20 gallon terriaum Eco earth subtrate, climbing stuff, shells, everything they could need cause I wanted to give them a better life.... one of my crabs buried almost immediately going into the tank . It's been a while I noticed today when I was changing the water/food there were quite a few gnats and I thought my crab may be dead ☹️. So I carefully go thru the subtrate where I think he is. I found him, and he is alive!!! I don't know what to do now 🥺 do I bury him? Do I leave him? I'm freaking out and feel awful for digging him up 😢

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: EMERGENCY!!!! I thought my crab was dead!!!

Post by curlysister » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Don't re-bury him. What does he look like? Has he shed his exoskeleton?

You need to isolate him from the other crab. You can use a 2L pop bottle with the bottom cut off and the lid off, push it down into the substrate - that way he still has the tank conditions but the other crab can't get to him. If he has exo with him, put it in there for him to eat.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Theused1991

Post by Theused1991 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:12 pm

He is tucked into his shell. When I picked him up I saw him move a little and I instantly regretted digging. I don't see any exoskeleton? Thanks so much for replying!!

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:20 am

He was probably just either de-stressing or trying to molt, if he would've been dead you would've known immediately because of the smell. Most of the time gnats and flies are just attracted to the smell of their food. What kind of food to you feed your crabs?

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"