3 molting, changing rooms. dig them up?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

3 molting, changing rooms. dig them up?

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:31 pm

As it says in the subject, I have 3 hermits down in molt I believe (Maybe even 4, if Lucky doesn't come up). I am not moving, but rather switching rooms in the house with my little cousin (Their room is double the size of mine lol). I am unsure how we are going to move the tank, but I doubt we would be moving the tank with everything in it (29 gal tank on my dresser). Would it be best to try and move the tank with the molting crabs in it, or to dig them up and place them in iso?
New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 3 molting, changing rooms. dig them up?

Post by curlysister » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:50 pm

Neither is ideal, both options are risky and could potentially be fatal. The best option would be to set up a new tank in the new room, and then move the crabs over as they come up.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:11 pm

curlysister wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:50 pm
Neither is ideal, both options are risky and could potentially be fatal. The best option would be to set up a new tank in the new room, and then move the crabs over as they come up.
Right. I don't have another tank though. The only tanks I have are 'iso' tanks, which are the little plastics ones i would prefer to use only in an emergency. And the tank is set up on my dresser, too. I guess I could leave both items in my old room until all crabs are up, I just worry my little cousins, who knows no boundaries, will try to move the tank or hit the glass. y'know, regular kid things when they see a tank with little critters moving in it. All I know is I have until september to move my things around and switch rooms. so far, for crustle and sharkie, i say its been about 3 going on 4 weeks since they went down. And mcshelldon some point later went down, though unsure when.
New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

KristenL0522

Post by KristenL0522 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:18 pm

You could get a large tote and set up a temp tank to put the ones in until they all come out and then can move them properly. I have no knowledge on how the totes are set up but have seen that people have good luck with them.

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:42 am

KristenL0522 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:18 pm
You could get a large tote and set up a temp tank to put the ones in until they all come out and then can move them properly. I have no knowledge on how the totes are set up but have seen that people have good luck with them.
I don't think my nanny would allow me to :( She doesn't really like that I have researched and done all of this stuff like buying meat to freeze up for them or dehydrating tons of fruit and veggie to give them a mix of stuff. We don't have any spare totes right now, and I don't think she'll let me get any. I guess the best course of action would be to just wait for them to surface. By the looks of it, Lucky Sunset hasn't came up in a few days and might be down too. I stay up till 10 pm and check on them before i go to bed. Usually he is up by then, but not anymore.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:48 am

IsolatedShadow wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:42 am
I don't think my nanny would allow me to :( She doesn't really like that I have researched and done all of this stuff like buying meat to freeze up for them or dehydrating tons of fruit and veggie to give them a mix of stuff. We don't have any spare totes right now, and I don't think she'll let me get any. I guess the best course of action would be to just wait for them to surface. By the looks of it, Lucky Sunset hasn't came up in a few days and might be down too. I stay up till 10 pm and check on them before i go to bed. Usually he is up by then, but not anymore.
The problem with waiting until they are all up is that very often there's always someone down.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:33 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:48 am
The problem with waiting until they are all up is that very often there's always someone down.
Right. I could possibly use the plastic Iso's. I think one is maybe maybe a 5 gal at most. the others of course are smaller. The problem i will have is keeping up humidity as I cannot use plastic wrap and I have only one gauge, but I can probably try to figure something out.