Possible new tank, got some questions.

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Possible new tank, got some questions.

Post by IsolatedShadow » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:50 pm

Hello! I started crabbing this summer after doing tons of research. I went from a small 5 gal plastic tank to a 29 gal glass tank with proper conditions and such, but now i might have the possibility of moving my crabs into a nice 100gal tank!!! My nanny's brother knew someone who was going to throw out a tank and asked him if he wanted it, and if things go as planned, then when i move into the bigger room i may be able to use that tank.

Now, the question(s): If i were to use this 100 gal tank, how much play sand/ee bricks would I need to use to get it to.. i say about 8-9 inches maybe? Also, is it harder to keep temperature and humidity under control in such a big tank? I don't have a heating pad for the tank, but I usually keep my room at around 75-77 and the 29 gal stays in the 80s in both heat and humidity. I don't have a top for the tank, and it may be a bit till i get one, since i gotta figure out the dimensions and then save up money for the Plexiglas. Which also brings me to the next questions. Is it better to use one piece or 2 pieces? and should it be 1/8th and inch or 1/4th?

Sorry if this is two much to answer in one go, or if its in the wrong area. I didn't know where to put it lol.
New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Possible new tank, got some questions.

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:33 pm

Yay on the upgrade. I have a 90gal and have no problem keeping it stable. I do use heaters on the back. Although during the summer I unplugged 1 heater. I do have a mesh lid that is covered by plexiglass. I got my plexiglass at Hobby Lobby and it was very cheap.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:38 am

What's the dimensions of the tank? That'll help with the calculation for amount of EE and sand.

For the lid, 2 pieces is better than 1 piece to ensure something is preventing moisture from escaping while you do maintenance. I'm actually upgrading too, so currently in the same boat. I'm cons dering 3 panels, overlapping by 1 cm so I'll expose only however much space I need.

A bigger tank can keep conditions more stable than a smaller one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:53 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:33 pm
Yay on the upgrade. I have a 90gal and have no problem keeping it stable. I do use heaters on the back. Although during the summer I unplugged 1 heater. I do have a mesh lid that is covered by plexiglass. I got my plexiglass at Hobby Lobby and it was very cheap.
I heard people use something like reptitherm heaters?? I'm not sure, but I will need to probably wait until rather i get more money or Christmas/my birthday comes around (which is in december, rip) Do you think they'll survive for that long? I do keep my room pretty warm now lol.
New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:22 am

IsolatedShadow wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:53 am
I heard people use something like reptitherm heaters?? I'm not sure, but I will need to probably wait until rather i get more money or Christmas/my birthday comes around (which is in december, rip) Do you think they'll survive for that long? I do keep my room pretty warm now lol.
The uth's you get in the pet store won't be enough. You can look for Ultratherm, on beanfarm.com or reptilebasics.com. Do you have guages? Digital guages are more accurate than analog. And a must have to know temp and humidity. You can insulate the tank with cardboard and tinfoil.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:44 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:22 am
The uth's you get in the pet store won't be enough. You can look for Ultratherm, on beanfarm.com or reptilebasics.com. Do you have guages? Digital guages are more accurate than analog. And a must have to know temp and humidity. You can insulate the tank with cardboard and tinfoil.
Yeah, i gotta save money to order one of those UTH. Rn my room stays warm enough to keep the tank from cooling under 80. And I did get a digital gauge. Had another topic once concerning my low humidity and it turns out it was cause i was using an analog gauge lol. Might look into insulating with tin foil once i got my hands on the Ultratherm and check how heating goes.

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:31 pm

Scarletfire wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:38 am
What's the dimensions of the tank? That'll help with the calculation for amount of EE and sand.

For the lid, 2 pieces is better than 1 piece to ensure something is preventing moisture from escaping while you do maintenance. I'm actually upgrading too, so currently in the same boat. I'm cons dering 3 panels, overlapping by 1 cm so I'll expose only however much space I need.

A bigger tank can keep conditions more stable than a smaller one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Finally got the dimensions and its 60 x 18 x 20 if anyone can help he calculate how much 50 pound bags of play sand and EE bricks i need that'll be real helpful!!!

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:03 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:22 am
Hello, i realize it is possibly a bit late to ask this, but do you perhaps recommend a certain UTH get for my tank from reptilesbasics? I'm looking at the 6 x 47 and 6 x 35, but i dunno which would be best for the new tank? (60x18x20)

I'm in texas, so it can stay pretty warm here. Plus, i never really have my room too cold, probably the lowest i have it is in low 70s

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:11 am

IsolatedShadow wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:03 am
Hello, i realize it is possibly a bit late to ask this, but do you perhaps recommend a certain UTH get for my tank from reptilesbasics? I'm looking at the 6 x 47 and 6 x 35, but i dunno which would be best for the new tank? (60x18x20)

I'm in texas, so it can stay pretty warm here. Plus, i never really have my room too cold, probably the lowest i have it is in low 70s
Many use the Ultratherm. That's what I have. And get the size that fits the entire back of your tank from the top of the substrate to the top of tank. If it gets too warm you can always unplug it.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:15 am

To answer your question in the mChat thingy, here's the guide as to number of crabs, sizes, tank sizes:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 26&t=92541

There are a few threads about how many bags of sand and how much EE is needed, you can try the search bar.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers