My Girls in Their New Tank

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
KinoAndTeto

My Girls in Their New Tank

Post by KinoAndTeto » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:38 pm

Kino and Teto are enjoying their new tank. Took me all weekend to get them set up and moved over. Still a couple tweaks that need to be made, but they don't seem to care. :)ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

🦀 🦀 Caretaker for two Purple Pinchers , Kino and Teto, adopted May 9, 2019. 🦀 🦀

DevilNDisguise

Re: My Girls in Their New Tank

Post by DevilNDisguise » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:09 pm

The hamster wheel idea is adorable.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

Topic author
KinoAndTeto

Post by KinoAndTeto » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:10 pm

DevilNDisguise wrote:The hamster wheel idea is adorable.
They haven't discovered it yet. I can't wait until they do!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:43 pm

Mine haven't discovered it yet either!

Ps- Love the setup!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:34 pm

Looks wonderful! I’m sure they’ll love their home for a good long time to come. Great job!

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!

Lizs2587

Post by Lizs2587 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:25 am

That looks awesome! Quick question, how do so many people get these pics of active crabs?! Mine don't do anything. I even have a motion camera set up and all they do is come out to eat and then go back to hiding. I'm not even sure they have been using the pools I made them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Topic author
KinoAndTeto

Post by KinoAndTeto » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:37 am

Lizs2587 wrote:That looks awesome! Quick question, how do so many people get these pics of active crabs?! Mine don't do anything. I even have a motion camera set up and all they do is come out to eat and then go back to hiding. I'm not even sure they have been using the pools I made them.

My girls are pretty active when they're around. Kino especially loves to climb around and get stuck in silly places all the time. Teto is more shy and can get spooked, so it's harder to get pics of her. But then sometimes they'll just sleep for days in their house together and not do anything it seems. Also Teto randomly disappeared for like two weeks once, not molting. Went on vacation to Jamaica, idk.

How long have you had your crabbies? If you got them fairly recently they might just be stressed out still and taking their time to get comfortable.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:32 am

Looking fab! Really good job, love all the climbing decor.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Lizs2587

Post by Lizs2587 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:30 am

We got the first 3 at the end of July and the 4th around the end of August. I just wish they were more active so I could see what they do lol

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:01 am

Lizs2587 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:30 am
We got the first 3 at the end of July and the 4th around the end of August. I just wish they were more active so I could see what they do lol

What is your temp? If it's on the lower side that may be why. Are your other conditions good? Substrate height, humidity...
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
KinoAndTeto

Post by KinoAndTeto » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:28 am

Lizs2587 wrote:We got the first 3 at the end of July and the 4th around the end of August. I just wish they were more active so I could see what they do lol

That's still fairly recent. When I got my girls, Teto went down and molted within two days and I didn't see her again for a month and a half. Maybe some of them are molting?

Lizs2587

Post by Lizs2587 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:39 am

Hermiesguardian wrote: What is your temp? If it's on the lower side that may be why. Are your other conditions good? Substrate height, humidity...
The temp stays around 76-82 (uth and heat lamp depending on the temp). The uth I have on the back spans about 2/3 of the tank from the top of the tank to just under the sub. It's a 20 gal long. The humidity stays around 85-95%, it varies if I turn the heat lamp on during the day. I have about 5-6 inches of sub (all ee). It was more but I think it settled! They have 2 pools (1 salt 1 fresh) with bubblers (both are Tupperware about 3-4" deep with craft mesh for ladders). They have a hamster wheel, a vine suctioned near the top flowing down, a net from the sub to the top of the tank, cholla wood (fake and real), mopani wood (I think that's what it was called), a hiding hut, a moss pit, a shell shop with at least 15-20 shells and I'm probably forgetting something but I've tried to give them everything they need! Their hamster wheel has been in there for about 2 weeks and no signs of use. Their upgraded pools for almost 2 weeks and no signs of use. I have a motion camera in there for the past two nights and it caught them walking last night. That's it. I did not mean to hijack this post! I just love other peoples crabitat pics so that I can try to see if I am doing something wrong!

Topic author
KinoAndTeto

Post by KinoAndTeto » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:39 am

Hermiesguardian wrote: What is your temp? If it's on the lower side that may be why. Are your other conditions good? Substrate height, humidity...
I second this. Even during the same day, if their tank is a few degrees cooler than I want it to be, I wrap a blanket around them and they seem to wake right up when the temp rises.

Of course it depends on their individual personalities, too.

Topic author
KinoAndTeto

Post by KinoAndTeto » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:41 am

Lizs2587 wrote:The temp stays around 76-82 (uth and heat lamp depending on the temp). The uth I have on the back spans about 2/3 of the tank from the top of the tank to just under the sub. It's a 20 gal long. The humidity stays around 85-95%, it varies if I turn the heat lamp on during the day. I have about 5-6 inches of sub (all ee). It was more but I think it settled! They have 2 pools (1 salt 1 fresh) with bubblers (both are Tupperware about 3-4" deep with craft mesh for ladders). They have a hamster wheel, a vine suctioned near the top flowing down, a net from the sub to the top of the tank, cholla wood (fake and real), mopani wood (I think that's what it was called), a hiding hut, a moss pit, a shell shop with at least 15-20 shells and I'm probably forgetting something but I've tried to give them everything they need! Their hamster wheel has been in there for about 2 weeks and no signs of use. Their upgraded pools for almost 2 weeks and no signs of use. I have a motion camera in there for the past two nights and it caught them walking last night. That's it. I did not mean to hijack this post! I just love other peoples crabitat pics so that I can try to see if I am doing something wrong!

I was thinking of putting some popcorn in their wheel tonight to trick them into getting in it, haha.

Lizs2587

Post by Lizs2587 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:50 am

KinoAndTeto wrote:That's still fairly recent. When I got my girls, Teto went down and molted within two days and I didn't see her again for a month and a half. Maybe some of them are molting?

I do believe one is molting. He hasn't been seen for about a week and a half. The one "birdie" is the most active. He has been seen at like 2am climbing on the screen lid! And pinky and Nemo just chill in a slight hole they make. Rango is the one I'm pretty sure is molting.