Tank cleaning Tip

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Tank cleaning Tip

Post by KrankyKrab » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:08 pm

Anyone find a way to get rid of that weird water stain effect in an old aquarium?

tried vinegar.... mr clean sponge...

It’s not the end of the world but it’s annoying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hungrytree

Re: Tank cleaning Tip

Post by Hungrytree » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:35 am

KrankyKrab wrote:Anyone find a way to get rid of that weird water stain effect in an old aquarium?

tried vinegar.... mr clean sponge...

It’s not the end of the world but it’s annoying... Image

You could try something like CLR ( I think it stands for calcium, lime, and rust) or a product called Lemishine. It’s for getting hard water stains off of dishes.

I’m not 100% sure these are crab safe or anything but i would imagine with enough rinsing and airing out it would be okay. Hopefully a more experienced crabber will chime in!

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:14 am

Hmmmmm not a bad idea. It’s on the top support - thankfully - so I can def try. Crababies aren’t moving in for probably another week or so.... thanks!

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:31 am

If it's hardened, use only vinegar with a scrapper and elbow grease if the tank is already set up. Vinegar will soften the calcium deposit and is safe for crabs

Only use CLR if the tank is not set up yet, so that you can thoroughly rinse it out by flushing with water

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:36 pm

Since there are no crabbies in it, you could try using Lysol toilet bowl cleaner with a magic eraser. Let it sit for a few minutes and then scrub with the magic eraser. I've cleaned bathtubs with horrible water stains/dirt stains this way and had success. (My mom has a cleaning business so we find a lot of little shortcuts to make life easier).
Lysol also works on shining up chrome in the bathroom kitchen etc. If using it on chrome, stainless, etc, don't leave it sit for more than 15-20 secs or it can stain.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:06 am

I highly recommend using a lemon. So you cut the lemon in half. Scrub the hard water stain with the lemon. (Use your elbow grease here)! Let it sit for a good 10 min. Rinse. Repeat with the other half of the lemon if necessary.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hungrytree

Post by Hungrytree » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:25 pm

Gotbutterflies has way more experience and knows more than I do. I’d go with their advice over mine :)

And i realized later that I forgot to mention that my suggestions were only in case the tank was empty.
Of course no strong chemicals with crabs in the tank

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:59 pm

Yes, still no little occupants .... I’m hoping by end of the week - CLR didn’t work and magic eraser didn’t either... will try the lemon. I think it is a hard water stain? Surprised CLR didn’t do the trick .... hmmmm. Thanks guys!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:52 pm

Yw! Lemon has always worked for me! I think it was AussieJJDude that taught me that trick!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:57 am

With any calcium deposits (hardwater stains) you need to let the solution soak in, then apply elbow grease with a scrapper.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

VickieG

Post by VickieG » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:52 am

If the minerals have been there long enough, the glass may actually be etched, in which case, it's permanent, which is probably the case if it's still not budging. No amount of elbow grease will make a difference. Lots of things can etch glass over time, including the minerals in water and even laundry detergents, speaking (unfortunately) from personal experience! If you want clear glass, you may need to get a new tank. I hope you have better luck..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:08 am

VickieG wrote:If the minerals have been there long enough, the glass may actually be etched, in which case, it's permanent, which is probably the case if it's still not budging. No amount of elbow grease will make a difference.
Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Yes, I think that’s the case. It’s almost as if it’s IN the glass. The glass is smooth to the touch.

Thanks for your input, guys..... I’ll def NOT overlook that next time I go for a used tank.