Thermostat question

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Koda

Thermostat question

Post by Koda » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:52 pm

Hello! Hope ya’ll are doing well today!!
I have a few questions about heating and heat mat thermostat and my substrate consistency

Quick run by of what my set up is.
29 gallon with 2 medium-large crabs
I have about 7 inches of mostly sand with some EE mixed in.
It has a plexiglass lid on.
I recently added a ultratherm heating mat that I have placed on the back of the tank about 1 inch above the substrate.
I have a zoomed digital humidity/temp gauge that I have placed in the front right corner of the tank.
My temps according to it is 79 degrees and 80% humidity.
I just got my heat mat thermostat in and set it up. I’m a little confused about where to put it so I placed it in the middle on the side and it showed 81 degrees. But when I placed it near the heat mat it was 90. where do I put it?
Inside of the tank right?

I’ve been having some issues with my substrate consistency as well. But now I put my finger in and it completely falls in right as I pull it out. How can I help that??? I have one who is down right now. Idk where she is. I tried misting it some but am afraid of flooding.

Thanks in advance!!

IsolatedShadow

Re: Thermostat question

Post by IsolatedShadow » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:37 am

Koda wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:52 pm
Hello! Hope ya’ll are doing well today!!
I have a few questions about heating and heat mat thermostat and my substrate consistency

Quick run by of what my set up is.
29 gallon with 2 medium-large crabs
I have about 7 inches of mostly sand with some EE mixed in.
It has a plexiglass lid on.
I recently added a ultratherm heating mat that I have placed on the back of the tank about 1 inch above the substrate.
I have a zoomed digital humidity/temp gauge that I have placed in the front right corner of the tank.
My temps according to it is 79 degrees and 80% humidity.
I just got my heat mat thermostat in and set it up. I’m a little confused about where to put it so I placed it in the middle on the side and it showed 81 degrees. But when I placed it near the heat mat it was 90. where do I put it?
Inside of the tank right?

I’ve been having some issues with my substrate consistency as well. But now I put my finger in and it completely falls in right as I pull it out. How can I help that??? I have one who is down right now. Idk where she is. I tried misting it some but am afraid of flooding.

Thanks in advance!!
Hello! I am not the best for information, as i just started crabbing this summer, but set up is looking pretty good! I advise for you to bring the thermostat away from the heat mat, towards maybe somewhere like middle front of the tank? You want to make sure the tank is heated everywhere!

And for the substrate, you can mist it down if the substrate is dry. But if you think there might be a flooding, get something like the end of a fork and slide it into the substrate against the glass. wait for about 30-min to an hour and if there is water collected in the whole you made, then there is a flood.

Of course you can always wait for a second opinion from a more experienced crabber!
New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:48 am

For my ultratherms, I place them on the back of my tanks, even with the substrate.
My thermostats are to the front of my tanks.

Do the pencil/chopstick test on your substrate. Stick one of those down the front of your tank so that you can see it (up against the glass). When you remove the pencil or chopstick how much of the substrate falls back? If all - there is an issue. If only the top inch - don't worry! :) You can just do a light mist with dechlorinated fresh water. DON'T make this a habit though. You don't want this to lead to flooding.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Koda

Post by Koda » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Thank you so much for the information!I will check on it.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:40 pm

Yw! Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com