Tank Temperature

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Tank Temperature

Post by KrankyKrab » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:06 am

So how warm is too warm?

In each smaller cage, the crababies always huddle on the UTH side so I know 75 or so isn’t warm enough (although acceptable)for them or they wouldn’t stay near that wall.

Now that I’m putting my 65 through a test run, the temp is 82 after 24 hrs and that feels real warm to me.... I have a 11x35 as well as a 11x17 on the side (cold basement).

I’m sure they’ll LOVE it, but I think I should consider a regulator now that temps are getting up there.

What temp range should I start feeling concerned about their comfort?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tank Temperature

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:18 am

Imo, any thing in the high 80F, to low 90F for long periods of time. The good thing is sand is a natural insulator so will naturally stay cool if crabs want to escape the heat. I wouldnt worry too much, 82F is fine. :)
(Most tend to keep there crabs around 80F, +/- 5ish degrees)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:19 am

Can we get a temperature page added to the care sheets?

There is information about temperature scattered about in several different places, but I can not find a specific place dedicated solely to temperature. I have gathered that along with humidity and substrate depth it is one of the core measurements of crab health.

Specifically having a place that lists recommended temperature range, minimum and maximum levels would be useful.

I'd also like to know what are the effects of high and low temperatures on the crabs. What kinds of things should I watch for? What is the difference between a little high or low and a temperature emergency?

Tips and tricks to establish and maintain temperature and things to avoid that may be unhealthy or stressful would be useful as well.

The weather changed this week and I'm noticing more variation from one side of the tank to the other. What kind of range is healthy and can we expect?

I've also read that larger tanks are easier to maintain temperature than smaller. What makes this so?

In short I have a lot of questions and concerns regarding temperature and having a care sheet with all of that info in 1 easy to find place will be useful and a great reference.

A review of the different types of methods used to heat with pros and cons to each would be VERY useful.
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:32 am

Agreed! I searched and couldn’t get much info directly related... thats why I label my question topics with specific descriptions

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:32 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Imo, any thing in the high 80F, to low 90F for long periods of time. The good thing is sand is a natural insulator so will naturally stay cool if crabs want to escape the heat. I wouldnt worry too much, 82F is fine. :)
(Most tend to keep there crabs around 80F, +/- 5ish degrees)

Great, Aussie! Thanks so much

Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:45 pm

Thanks Kranky! I appreciate the support. I posted under this thread exactly because it was named Tank Temperature. The temperature questions have been on my mind for a little while now, this latest cooler weather has got my anxiety up a little right after I felt like I have been able to maintain 75-85 temp range fairly consistently without too much trouble while also maintaining humidity. I'm going to be setting up a 40 G breeder soon and so I am curious as to what I need to do to get it right and maintaining temp.
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:52 pm

I really do appreciate the feedback, and totally get back to the team regarding putting together a small article about temperature. Tbh, it's never something I really thought of, since I thought we *did* have a temp guide.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:06 pm

Thanks so much! Theres a lighting guide which mentions heat, but nothing specifically about temperature, it's just kinda scattered about in different places. It gets talked about a lot from everything I've read so far. For a long time I wasn't sure about the upper range that's safe. I actually unplugged my uth for the first time because It was running a little over 90 since lunch. Hopefully I'll get my supports in place and be able to move my 40 gal and start getting it ready. I have a thermostat I was saving for that

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:18 pm

All good really.

Sometimes the older members do fail to see gaps we have in place, particularly the care guides section. It's something I'm always going to encourage members to speak up about, and let the mod team know! Otherwise, it a high likelyhood it's never going to get fixed. So I can't stress it enough, I really do appreciate all feedback given, and that without all HCA members, this place is unable to run well. (Just a little sidetracked 'kudos to HCA people' haha)

But back to topic on hand, I'm glad the OP got some of their questions answered. Best I can put it, for PPs you want temperature to be about 70F. For exotics, I personally think that you want a min of 75F, and the average temp in your tanks are somewhere around 75F to 85F for all crabs. 80F being a good min to strive for, but crabs do tolerate cooler temperatures without much issue.

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:20 pm

Moe2076 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:06 pm
Thanks so much! Theres a lighting guide which mentions heat, but nothing specifically about temperature, it's just kinda scattered about in different places. It gets talked about a lot from everything I've read so far. For a long time I wasn't sure about the upper range that's safe. I actually unplugged my uth for the first time because It was running a little over 90 since lunch. Hopefully I'll get my supports in place and be able to move my 40 gal and start getting it ready. I have a thermostat I was saving for that
Hahaaaa.... me too - mine was 88 when i got home and now I'm paranoid about cooked crab! Thank goodness they aren't in it yet, my husband would RUN for the butter :lol:

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:22 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:18 pm
Best I can put it, for PPs you want temperature to be about 70F. For exotics, I personally think that you want a min of 75F, and the average temp in your tanks are somewhere around 75F to 85F for all crabs. 80F being a good min to strive for, but crabs do tolerate cooler temperatures without much issue.
perfect... thanks :cheer:

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:33 pm

KrankyKrab wrote: Hahaaaa.... me too - mine was 88 when i got home and now I'm paranoid about cooked crab! Thank goodness they aren't in it yet, my husband would RUN for the butter Image
When you commented about a "cooked crab" I was going to comment about getting out the butter, but you beat me to it LOL.Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:35 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:33 pm
When you commented about a "cooked crab" I was going to comment about getting out the butter, but you beat me to it LOL.Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:09 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:18 pm
All good really.

Sometimes the older members do fail to see gaps we have in place, particularly the care guides section. It's something I'm always going to encourage members to speak up about, and let the mod team know! Otherwise, it a high likelyhood it's never going to get fixed. So I can't stress it enough, I really do appreciate all feedback given, and that without all HCA members, this place is unable to run well. (Just a little sidetracked 'kudos to HCA people' haha)

But back to topic on hand, I'm glad the OP got some of their questions answered. Best I can put it, for PPs you want temperature to be about 70F. For exotics, I personally think that you want a min of 75F, and the average temp in your tanks are somewhere around 75F to 85F for all crabs. 80F being a good min to strive for, but crabs do tolerate cooler temperatures without much issue.
Thank you so much for the positive feedback! I really enjoy the way HCA is organized. I've read and re read several of the care sheets and regularly reference the safe/unsafe food lists. In my wandering and meandering (COMPLETE AND TOTAL DRY SPONGE SOAKING UP WATER OBSESSIONAL READING) of the different forums I look and think about things that are particularly common or useful information and have already found myself responding to others questions and directing them to where I may have seen information posted. It's such a great and well developed resource and the way members reach out to answer others questions is really wonderful.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:39 pm

This is what is in our care guide. The problem is there has been a lot of debate over what is too hot, and due to the individuality of crabs sometimes 85 is pushing it and sometimes 100 is fine. The key is to have gradients so they can self regulate.

Temperature Gauge (Thermometer)

Since they are from the tropics, Purple Pincher hermit crabs need to be kept between 75 and 85 degrees. Exotic species such as Ecuadorians need higher temperatures of 80 to 85 degrees. If your home is not this warm during the summer or winter, there are options to help! Products made for tropical reptiles are perfect for helping to replicate a hermit crab’s native environment. If the temperature falls below 70 degrees for too long, they begin to go dormant, and may not survive. A thermometer should always be used to monitor temperatures in case of a heating failure.

Under-Tank Heater (UTH)

These are the most popular option for warming crabitats. They are sold for reptiles for use underneath the tank, but in hermit crab enclosures the UTH should only be used on the side or back of the tank. Because of the need of thick substrate in crabitats, UTHs are not effective when used on the bottom and can possibly overheat and become a fire risk. Do not pay attention to the recommended tank size on the packaging - buy the largest sized heat mat that you can fit on the back of your tank as many store-bought UTH run too cool to heat a crabitat. Ultratherm brand UTH must be ordered online, but they are known to run the warmest and are capable of being insulated with styrofoam to boost the heat unlike many other brands. If the UTH runs too warm a plug-in lamp dimmer or thermostat can be used to adjust the temperature. Many crabbers prefer to use a pad that ends above the substrate line so that they do not have to worry about substrate drying out quickly. Also, UTH cannot be bent without damaging them.

Heat Lamps

Heat lamps are an option that will provide a lot of heat, which is great if your house is kept on the cooler side. There are many types of heat lamps to choose from, and the larger the dome the more heat will be reflected into the enclosure. It can be difficult to find the right wattage of bulb to get the enclosure to the right temperature, so a rheostat (plug-in lamp dimmer) or dimmable clamp lamp can be very beneficial when using heat bulbs, as this will allow you to cool down and adjust a lamp that is running too hot. Small 10 gallon tanks may need to start out with a 25w bulb while large tanks may need more than 100w. Hermit crabs are nocturnal and need to have darkness at night, so special reptile bulbs (moonglow, infrared or ceramic) are the best as they can be kept on all night long. However, do not use blacklights or party lights, as these emit lots of UVA and are quite different from reptile bulbs.

More information: Lights - Heating, Viewing, and UVB

Other Sources of Heat

Heat rocks can burn your hermits, and heat cables can be pinched through causing an electrical hazard. Daylight heating bulbs can be used during daylight hours only, but watch to make sure that the crabitat doesn’t cool off too low at night. Florescent and UVB bulbs will give you viewing light during the day but will have very little effect on the temperature. If the room they are in stays warm enough, you may not need to add any supplemental heat.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram