MY HALLOWEEN CRAB IS BUBBLING AND HER LEG FELL OFF

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Chocobo

MY HALLOWEEN CRAB IS BUBBLING AND HER LEG FELL OFF

Post by Chocobo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:17 am

https://flic.kr/p/2hsUHDA
I dont know why this is happening she's blown normal bubbles before but not like these frothy rabies bubbles. She's in her salt water. I dont want to pick her up and hurt her more. She also hasn't been trying as hard to escape from me when I occasionally pick her up and move her so I can put clean bowls down, and this is just lately.

I filled her water bowl more because I noticed it was half empty and then the bubbles stopped. Idk if I should still be worried or not
Last edited by Chocobo on Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my grasshopper is going to be a mom 💕 https://streamable.com/n8zpap

scuttlecrusty22

Re: MY HALLOWEEN CRAB IS BUBBLING AND HER LEG FELL OFF

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:55 am

I was reading that Halloween crabs might be foaming at the mouth due to dehydration... I have no experience whatsoever with these types of crabs but I did a little bit of research to see if I could help. So has he/she not had an water for awhile or not been drinking?
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:21 am

I know nothing about this type of crab, but presume the needs are similar as far as substrate, heat, humidity, and diet.
It does not look like you have enough substrate for such a large crab.
What are your tank conditions? What do you feed it? How large is the tank?

Edited to add - Please fill in the emergency template, that will give us all the information needed.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:10 am

(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:15 am

@aussieJJDude may be able to help, he knows about this type of crab.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:10 pm

curlysister wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:21 am
I know nothing about this type of crab, but presume the needs are similar as far as substrate, heat, humidity, and diet.
It does not look like you have enough substrate for such a large crab.
What are your tank conditions? What do you feed it? How large is the tank?

Edited to add - Please fill in the emergency template, that will give us all the information needed.
I have a 20 gallon tank i think and yea i dont have enough substrate im like dirt broke

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:11 pm

her legs also arent working properly and she smells strange. my halloween crabs also cannot fully submerge their body in water. I think my dad failed to get the right setup for my tank in a few ways when he gave them to me. There isnt enough substrate and i havent been able to afford more. i feel like a really terrible pet owner

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:19 pm

scuttlecrusty22 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:55 am
I was reading that Halloween crabs might be foaming at the mouth due to dehydration... I have no experience whatsoever with these types of crabs but I did a little bit of research to see if I could help. So has he/she not had an water for awhile or not been drinking?
shes been drinking and getting in the salt and freshwater

gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:23 pm

As curlysister suggested, if you fill out the emergency care form we can try to help you research appropriate care and identify what in your set-up might be causing the issues your crab is experiencing. I know next to nothing about hallowe’en crabs but searching around through various forums, the consensus seems to be that limb drop is generally caused by environmental stress, nutritional deficiencies, and/or PPS.

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:55 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
I have coconut fiber and its not very deep. I haven't been able to get more substrate for that tank yet.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
I don't have gauges in that tank yet I haven't been able to get them.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
I don't use a heat source. I just keep my room the ideal temperature for a crab.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
I use purified water from a filter on the sink and I use saltwater from a fish store. My step mom tells me this filtered water is the same as purified water

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I feed them this and replace it every day. https://flic.kr/p/2hrQQWF

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I've had this halloween crab for a few months

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
no

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
its a normal 20 gallon with a normal lid that just comes off. I haven't gotten them anything to climb on yet. I havent been able to afford a humidifier so im stuck just misting the tank constantly

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
two normal adult sized crabs

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
it hasnt needed to be cleaned yet

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
no

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
no

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
My crab smelled bad this morning and was bubbling in the water yesterday, but it was just a few bubbles so i didnt think much of it. I found her this morning in a saltwater dish full of bubbles and her leg was in the water next to her. she also smelled weird. I misted the tank a lot. the bubbling stopped before i went to school. i came back to her blowing a few bubbles in clear saltwater. I cleaned the deeper freshwater bowl and put saltwater in there, but she isnt bothering to go to the deeper side to submerge herself. shes on the edge of the shallow end resting and blowing more bubbles. she smells stronger than she did before i went to school and her dirty water also smelled bad (the water i took her out of to move into the bigger bowl). I also think its important to note that my male crab might have something to do with this because he tries to fight with her frequently, but im positive i dont have two males because the female is yellow and less vibrant and the male is orange

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:21 pm

The only thing I really know about them is that they are extremely sensitive and they need to borrow deep to molt. True crabs are extremely difficult to keep alive for any length of time in captivity due to the type of habitat they come from and because, like hermits, they are all wild caught. It takes a large enclosure to keep them happy. Bubbling in any crab tends to be a sign of severe stress.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:04 pm

Alright, so the general consensus after reading through a number of care sheets online seems to be:

- minimum 20G for single crab, 30G for a pair
- substrate (minimums, as wode stated these dudes seem to be big tunnelers and more depth = better): sand (or mix of sand and ee) 6 inches deep, with 3-6 inches damp moss on top
- decontaminated/treated fresh and salt water, deep enough to submerge but not drown
- vegetable/leaf litter/protein/calcium all required foods
- 80-85 degrees and 80% relative humidity

Without knowing what type of water filter you’re using or what temp and humidity levels are, it’s impossible to guess at what might be going wrong. I’m sorry. Though if we assume you have ideal temp and humidity, and that your water filter is indeed equal to a comprehensive water treatment, then you might want to try addressing substrate depth and varying their diet. If possible, I would invest in a digital thermometer/hygrometer.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:55 pm

I am going to be very straightforward and blunt. I am sorry if you are offended, but I think it needs to be said.
You got an exotic pet that you are not able to care for, and it will most likely die because of that. A quick search online led me to the advice I will post below.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
I have coconut fiber and its not very deep. I haven't been able to get more substrate for that tank yet.
Curly - It looks like Halloween carbs need deeper sub that hermies. Like a foot or so. And many people mix a few different substances into the EE.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
I don't have gauges in that tank yet I haven't been able to get them.
Curly - These are essential items.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
I don't use a heat source. I just keep my room the ideal temperature for a crab.
Curly - Without a thermometer inside the tank, you don't know if it is ideal. Is your room really 80 degrees or more?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
I use purified water from a filter on the sink and I use saltwater from a fish store. My step mom tells me this filtered water is the same as purified water
Curly - What is the brand of salt? If you still have hermit crabs, you want to be sure it's the correct salt.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I feed them this and replace it every day. https://flic.kr/p/2hrQQWF
Curly - Halloween crabs are like hermit crabs, they need protein and calcium every day, and a varied diet. Why aren't you supplementing that food with other foods?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I've had this halloween crab for a few months

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
no

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
its a normal 20 gallon with a normal lid that just comes off. I haven't gotten them anything to climb on yet. I havent been able to afford a humidifier so im stuck just misting the tank constantly
Curly - As someone said, it looks like a 20 is only big enough for one crab, and a pair should have at least a 30.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
two normal adult sized crabs

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
it hasnt needed to be cleaned yet

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
My crab smelled bad this morning and was bubbling in the water yesterday, but it was just a few bubbles so i didnt think much of it. I found her this morning in a saltwater dish full of bubbles and her leg was in the water next to her. she also smelled weird. I misted the tank a lot. the bubbling stopped before i went to school. i came back to her blowing a few bubbles in clear saltwater. I cleaned the deeper freshwater bowl and put saltwater in there, but she isnt bothering to go to the deeper side to submerge herself. shes on the edge of the shallow end resting and blowing more bubbles. she smells stronger than she did before i went to school and her dirty water also smelled bad (the water i took her out of to move into the bigger bowl). I also think its important to note that my male crab might have something to do with this because he tries to fight with her frequently, but im positive i dont have two males because the female is yellow and less vibrant and the male is orange
Curly - It sounds like Halloween crabs like to fight. And that they are hard to sex, colors aren't a give away. I don't think your crab is going to survive, given the poor conditions. Whether a fight had anything to do with it or not, it sounds like this crab is in trouble and isn't in proper conditions. I am not sure why anyone would get a pet that they are not able or prepared to care for. If I were you, I would find someone that you can give your remaining Halloween crab to, who is able to properly care for it, before it dies as well. Do you have any hermit crabs still? Perhaps you should also re-home them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:23 pm

Hey Finalxfantasy, I got your PM but figured it was a little better just to reply here. ^_^ I will warn that the limited knowledge I have is based on internet research, so please take my advice with a grain of salt and do some further reading up online! (I'm not that well versed, besides very basic knowledge!)

Curlysister did offer some good suggestions to pimp out the tank, since their (halloween crab) level of care is slightly different from hermies. Or at least what I've read. I do think the heat, substrate and food would be the 3 most critical things to get fixed/working properly, since all 3 make a happy, healthy crab. (Of course, humidity and proper type of salt is just as important)

I will mention, that I've read somewhere that bubbling of the mouth and a slightly smelly crab can usually be a sign that it is overheating. If you have the heat source for your crab close to the tank, I'd suggest moving it a little bit to ensure that the crab has somewhere to cool down - since you mentioned you heat the room. Of course, a deep substrate will also help to maintain cooler microclimates. Cause from what I've read, they more of a tropical jungle species, so they'll appreciate cooler conditions compared to your hermies (tropical jungles can vary from 5-10 degrees lower than the surrounding environment due to the amount of shade... they are however, very moist and humid. So I think keeping the crab at around 73-76 would be a good idea, trying to offer hot/cool zones as well.

Leaf litter is something I'd suggest getting, not only does it make a good food source, but also offers the crab a place to hide and helps with humidity by allowing the crab to bury underneath the leaves.

Their scavengers, so try varying their diet. This also ensures all food groups are covered, and they are getting all the appropriate amounts of vitamins/minerals/molecules for healthy bodily function. Feeding stuff like fruits, veg and meats would be a great start, but honestly I think it's pretty safe to look at the safe food list on here and use that as a guide for the Halloween crab. (What you feed your hermies could probably also be safe to feed your Halloween... I'd just stick to organic fruit/veg if you can!)

Females can be told apart from males by the abdomen. Females tend to be wider/V shaped, while males are usually thinner and more like a flattened v / I in shape. So it is possible to tell the difference between the sexes of true crabs, such as your Halloween.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:18 pm

curlysister wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:55 pm
I am going to be very straightforward and blunt. I am sorry if you are offended, but I think it needs to be said.
You got an exotic pet that you are not able to care for, and it will most likely die because of that. A quick search online led me to the advice I will post below.

I'm sorry, but my sister has been slacking on her chores and because of that I am getting payed a lot less with her even though I have nothing to do with it. I wasn't always struggling with money like this, and it's not my fault my parents decided to be the way they are. I never expected my payment to go down so much because it happened so suddenly. Because I was fully able to give my pets anything they desired before this happened. If anything dies, it's really their fault and not mine, but I am going to have a serious talk with them. I have been waiting for months and months for my phone service to get payed so I can use google maps to walk to a job when i apply for one, but i haven't had service since before the end of last school year. Luckily my grandma sent me a card with $30 and this will help me out so much. I hope things are clear now and I hate more than anything to look like a bad pet owner. also i didnt mean to include this text in the quote