Hands off?

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Ae5843

Hands off?

Post by Ae5843 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:30 pm

Hello everyone! I am new here and a new owner of hermit crabs. I absolutely love them and I am having a great experience setting up their crabitat. I just had a question, I joined a hermit crab group on Facebook and I shared a photo of my hermit crab out of its tank and cuddling up in my hoodie sweatshirt. Many people from the crab Facebook page automatically jumped down my throat telling me that crabs should never be outside of their tank and they are hands off animals. Is this true? I have never read anything online about this being true. I have done tons of research before getting crabs and nowhere have I read this. I wanted to join this group and see what you all had to say about this topic. Thank you

Cococrabgirl!

Re: Hands off?

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:24 pm

It is usually best not to handle them. Because they are wild animals and when you handle them they think you are a predator. And good job doing lots of research before getting hermit crabs!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:28 pm

If you search through old threads on this forum, you will find lots of posts that most of us are hands off. They are prey animal - which means that they see us as predators. They do not have the brain capacity to 'bond' with humans like dogs and cats. The great majority of us don't like to stress our crabs by handling them or taking them out of the tank.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Pebbles

Post by Pebbles » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:00 pm

You shouldn't take them out of their tank because, as others have said, they are prey animals and it is best to keep them in a place that is like their natural environment. They are easily stressed. However, I have read about people taking them out and playing with them. Obviously, you should make sure that it is safe. Not on tables as it may fall, not on carpets as the fibers could get snagged in their legs, and other precautions like that. That being said, it really is not advisable to take your crab out of its tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
15 year old that loves pets. My mom wont let me get a fourth crab tho cuz apparently her house would be a zoo and Rock, Pebbles, and Boulder are enough.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:34 pm

The hands off movement is a newer idea in the last few years, mostly fueled by the Facebook groups. Prior to this owners would occasionally interact with their hermits without issues. The thought is that since they are tropical that our house conditions could kill them quickly.

I always like to remind people of Carol of Crabworks who has the oldest living hermit in captivity, and she let hers out to roam for about 4 hours every single evening for over 40 years. People like to argue she lives in Florida so her conditions are the same, but for the first 20 years she lived in Maryland.

I do want to add that when crabs are new, care should be taken to keep them as stress free as possible. They are all wild caught and are adapting to life in captivity, and they go through heck during the collection, shipping and selling process. Up until they have a molt, sometimes two molts, they are extremely delicate and the smallest thing can tip the scales out of their favor. Often the best thing for them is to be hands off so they have the best chance at survival, as the death rate is extremely high even when things are picture perfect.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Ae5843

Post by Ae5843 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:02 pm

I really appreciate all the replies!