Heat

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
FairyDefender

Heat

Post by FairyDefender » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Setting up the new tat....... here's what we have so far. I've had the heat running for 2-3 day now & I'm only getting up to about 74°f. I like to keep the house cold so I'm sure winter will be worse. I have 2 of these heaters on the back with foam behind them. So all the area above the sand is covered already. I thought about some heat tape, or cord around the bottom but IDK. Is there anything else I can do? Maybe another heater on one of the sides? It's a big tank 36x36x16 with about 350 lbs of sand. The sand feels pretty cold. I don't want lights, the top is plexiglass & it's dry enough here already.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Heat

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Insulating the bottom and other (empty) side could be two good options. What temperature is the house kept at?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
FairyDefender

Post by FairyDefender » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:48 pm

65-70 ish for the house. I think insulated the bottom isn't possible now unless I took all the sand back out.......ugh that sounds like a terrible time, lol

gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:54 pm

I also keep my house cold in fall/winter, so I feel you. I have ultratherms covering the entire back of my tank and topper. In the fall/winter, I insulate one whole side of my tank that doesn’t have a UTH with reflective foil insulation (reflectix I think? It’s the pliable stuff with the bubble-wrap-style core). That added insulation on one side of the tank boosts the temp by about 10 degrees.

Question - how thick is the backing/climbing wall you have in front of the UTHs? I wonder if they’re insulating against the heat. Maybe try moving one of your 2 UTHs to the side of the tank that isn’t covered with cocomat and see if that makes a difference?

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:57 pm

I put uths on the side as well during the winter

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:58 pm

Sorry. My bad. Meant the bottom (front) panel

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
FairyDefender

Post by FairyDefender » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:07 pm

The back wall is egg crate with coconut fiber over but it's pretty thin. Probably about 1/2". What if I put a heater on the side with it below the sand line? I'm worried the sand will be way to cold. The tank is big enough they should be able to dig away from the heat if it was warmer than they liked.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:25 pm

The only issue I see is that sand is a fantastic insulator. Not only will it not do much (maybe only a couple of inches around where the heater is) but it will dry out the sand and make it very difficult to control the temperature without a thermostat...

While members have and do hear their substrate, I would encourage not to heat more than a couple of inches below the surface since it can get a little too warm down there.

Putting insulation around where the substrate is could help retain some heat on the glass, but not make it overly hot?

Topic author
FairyDefender

Post by FairyDefender » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:40 pm

Hmmmm. Didn't know that about the sand. I do have a temp. controller that the heaters plug into but that's not much help unless it gets to hot & I don't see that being an issue. I may be able to slide some bubble wrap insulation under & I will try some insulation on the sides. Nobody is moving in until I get this right but I REALLY want them to see their new home! LOL I still have some other things to add in the meantime.

Topic author
FairyDefender

Post by FairyDefender » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:58 pm

gunstreet.girl wrote:I also keep my house cold in fall/winter, so I feel you. I have ultratherms covering the entire back of my tank and topper. In the fall/winter, I insulate one whole side of my tank that doesn’t have a UTH with reflective foil insulation (reflectix I think? It’s the pliable stuff with the bubble-wrap-style core). That added insulation on one side of the tank boosts the temp by about 10 degrees.

Question - how thick is the backing/climbing wall you have in front of the UTHs? I wonder if they’re insulating against the heat. Maybe try moving one of your 2 UTHs to the side of the tank that isn’t covered with cocomat and see if that makes a difference?
Thanks for the insulation idea! I ordered some & put it on today. The temp went up from 74 to 82! So awesome! What a relief. Now I'm only worried about how cold the sand is. Is about 10"-12" deep. Seems like it will be really cold in the middle.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:04 pm

FairyDefender wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:58 pm
Thanks for the insulation idea! I ordered some & put it on today. The temp went up from 74 to 82! So awesome! What a relief. Now I'm only worried about how cold the sand is. Is about 10"-12" deep. Seems like it will be really cold in the middle.

If you heat the sand it can be too warm for them and they won't have a place to cool off. Also it can dry the sand out.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
FairyDefender

Post by FairyDefender » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:14 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote: If you heat the sand it can be too warm for them and they won't have a place to cool off. Also it can dry the sand out.
I'm not going to heat it just makes me wonder how they will like it if it's cold.

gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:16 pm

FairyDefender wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:58 pm

You’re welcome! Happy it worked out.

I wouldn’t worry about the temp of the sand.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:24 pm

I heat the sand in my tanks, it's the only way they would have a space warm enough to molt in the middle of winter. It'll dry the area out a little faster but it doesn't cause any harm to them and it can help boost both the heat and humidity. Any bit of the UTH beneath the surface will give them a strip of varying temps to dig into.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram