Winter heating

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
GRMU99

Winter heating

Post by GRMU99 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:28 pm

I have a 29gal tank with a flukers heat mat taped against the back wall on the right side. Right now my tank is reading about 71 to 75. I like to keep my room temp about 72. With the winter months coming up i dont want them to die. I do also have a night glo light that come on at night. Im afraid that if i add another heat mat that im going to dry out the humidity in the tank. Right now my humidity is hovering around 80. What else can i do to bring up the temperature without killing the humidity??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 cats
Buddy and Belle

gunstreet.girl

Re: Winter heating

Post by gunstreet.girl » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:34 pm

The Fluker’s heat mats can be insulated. You can also insulate the sides of your tank that don’t have a UTH attached. I insulate my heat mats, and in winter I also insulate one wall of the tank that doesn’t have a heat mat. Just that added insulation increases the temperature by at least 10 degrees.

Topic author
GRMU99

Post by GRMU99 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:49 pm

gunstreet.girl wrote:The Fluker’s heat mats can be insulated. You can also insulate the sides of your tank that don’t have a UTH attached. I insulate my heat mats, and in winter I also insulate one wall of the tank that doesn’t have a heat mat. Just that added insulation increases the temperature by at least 10 degrees.

How do i insulate?? I had read that you can use cardboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 cats
Buddy and Belle

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:46 pm

Heat mats (UTH's) really won't zap your humidity - heat lights are bad for that.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:01 am

GRMU99 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:49 pm
How do i insulate?? I had read that you can use cardboard.
Different people have different approaches and use different materials (cardboard with aluminum foil, hard foam insulation, reflectix double-sided insulation), and there’s at least one user who has posted step by step instructions for how they insulate their tanks - you can search the forums.

I personally use reflectix double-sided insulation to insulate both the UTHs and the side wall, and it works great for me.

And CurlySister is correct - UTHs generally won’t zap your humidity.