Possible bacterial bloom? (pic)

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Possible bacterial bloom? (pic)

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:49 pm

Try grabbing a handful of substrate. Squeeze it, if a couple of drops of water comes out, it's the right consistency. Any more than that, you're likely to have too much.

When you also let go, and lay it on your palm, does it still retain it shape? If so, it's all good! ^_^

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:10 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:49 pm
Try grabbing a handful of substrate. Squeeze it, if a couple of drops of water comes out, it's the right consistency. Any more than that, you're likely to have too much.

When you also let go, and lay it on your palm, does it still retain it shape? If so, it's all good! ^_^

Thank you for a little reassurance. I mean we'll see. Was just concerned as I've seen so many threads about people unable to keep humidity up when I can never keep it down! Now I'm purposely trying to keep it under 80 with higher temps to dry the substrate out.

The first two setups if I squeezed it... there were more than just a few drops of water, but it held and was not flooding so I thought that was fine and it definitely wasn't.

The tank I just redid was a 20 long and added about 3/4 gallon of saltwater then sprayed with dechlor water to get all the sub off the sides. So about 1 gallon total with about a 50/50 split this time of EE/Playsand. And really not much water at all when squeezing the sub. I almost wanted to add more, but I left it.

Really just trying to figure out why the humidity is still so high without even covering the whole lid with seran wrap which is leading me back to me being an idiot and oversaturating the substrate (not sure I did though this time).

Appreciate your help though; that was really something I'd rather not have to deal with again!

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:22 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:49 pm

So I just went in and grabbed a handful of sub from the top and not a drop of water when squeezed. Still humidity at 80 with room humidity at 40. Think I might be overreacting a bit.

I did set it up yesterday so I guess some water could have settled down, but I really tried to go minimum on the wet sub. I just don't understand those that are struggling with humidity I guess.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:03 am

Different tanks really. I use to feel the same, but my previous tank use to struggle with humidity. Nowadays, not so much, only really during winter when all my heaters are on, drying out the air.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:31 am

So after all of this, the humidity remains above 80% with a decent corner open to air. The substrate on top has dried out about an inch or so. Pretty much just dry sand. I've obviously been hesitant and haven't sprayed with water yet.

I was watching a few nights ago with the wyze cam and my one guy was trying to dig. Actually have a 10 minute video of him digging by the water bowls as I thought it was interesting (the things that amuse me these days lol).

Anyway, so he has dug down and I haven't seen him in two nights now, but just getting home from work around 1am with same shift tomorrow. Going to dig in the corner tomorrow after work just to check the saturation of the sub and pray there's no smell.

With that being said, if all seems well with no smell and no oversaturation... should I mist some of the dry sub on the top a bit? As I wrote, I believe I have a molter down and just concerned that he won't be able to build a cave if the sub dries further.

Sorry for the lengthy posts; think I have PTSD R/T bacterial blooms now haha. Just trying to do the best I can. Interestingly, as I mentioned in this thread, the only tank without a bacterial bloom was all EE mixed with Aquafina that my first crab successfully molted in (weird right?).

Just sharing my experiences as may help others and any advice on the dry inch or so with all being written here would also be appreciated. From everything I know it seems I should moisten it a bit if all is well at the bottom of the sub. Thank you all again!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:01 am

IMO, its good to ask questions! i know I do, drives many nuts on occasion!

A quick spray wouldn't hurt much, the only issue is if you continue to do so for long period of time... Water beings to pool up, and next thing you know your substrate is blooming.... and it doesn't smell nice!

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:55 am

Haha thanks. Definitely overthinking everything now!