Drying sand again ...

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Drying sand again ...

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:07 am

I got a new crabbie named Shelly. I wanted to take pics but "she" shelly went down to molt in like 2 days ! Which I know is normal so .. I rewet all my sand with eco earth, and the top is drying a little already been couple weeks estimated .. my memory sucks !
Idk how long it's been.. been a week or 2 !!!maybe 3 Tops ...
I started misting .. I poured alittle water in the front but stopped because I figured I might not need to pour water if i mist?
So how often do I mist ?

I stuck my finger down to see it's not dry dry but it is drying .. my house is freezing my one long ! Thermal heater .. keeps it at a good degree ... it was supper overly moist but ...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Re: Drying sand again ...

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:42 am

What kind of lid do you have? Is it totally sealed? Too much misting can create a flood.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:55 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:What kind of lid do you have? Is it totally sealed? Too much misting can create a flood.
Yes I know I dont want to do that !
I have a plastic lid completely sealed !
I want it to seep down but not create a flood ! Of course I want to play with sand alil in one corner see how dry it was under I dont think it's to dry but I dont wanna wait til it is !!!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:16 am

As long as your humidity is in the safe range, you never have to mist your tank, even if the top few inches seem dry that is ok. The only time you need to mist is if your humidity drops. Moisture will go towards the bottom of the tank and the top layer will feel more dry.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:42 am

Ok .. just worried cause in the past the heater dried out my sand completely.. which I know I left it way and didnt check it I didnt know it would dry out like that so ...

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:56 pm

I probably should have asked what kind of heater and stuff you had first. If you have a heat mat that covers the back of your tank from the substrate up, you shouldn’t have to mist. The sand can be a little dryer as long as it’s not dusty dry and can hold its shape when you stick your finger in the sand, then it’s ok.