Need help designing above ground pools

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Need help designing above ground pools

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:15 am

I'm upgrading my 40gb to a 75g. I would like to do above ground, actually 2nd level pools. I have 4 pvc pipes, small diameter that I plan on standing up in the substrate. I want to attach a platform to the "poles". Then place the pool in the center of platform but "dropped down". Picture an above ground pool with a deck. My crabs mostly just hang over the side to drink, so I want them to be able to do so with a 2nd level pool. The problem is I have no imagination or building skill. :( I hope I explained it right so you can envision it.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Re: Need help designing above ground pools

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:39 am

If you use the egg crate you can zip tie that together and build "walls" for the deck. As long as you don't have babies they should be able to climb up to the pools no problem. I built a log cabin out of egg crate then covered it with bark. I think you could do something similar and have it double as a hide.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:23 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:39 am
If you use the egg crate you can zip tie that together and build "walls" for the deck. As long as you don't have babies they should be able to climb up to the pools no problem. I built a log cabin out of egg crate then covered it with bark. I think you could do something similar and have it double as a hide.
Getting upto the pools isn't the issue. Although that's a good idea. I was going to use a bird ladder. But I need help with a platform around the pool, even with lip of pool.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:50 am

How large are your proposed pvc pipes and pool? I can help draft something.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:48 pm

What are you going to use for your pools? Plastic containers?

I think you can still use the egg crate and cut the center of the platform out for the pool to drop in. Then you can zip tie the PVC pipe to the egg crate. For reinforcement you and add 3-4 squares of egg crate below the platform. Think of a square container upside down. Even extend the egg crate down the pipes as ladders.

Our guys always climb on the egg crate. It's a good way to make a lot of climbing area.

Can you tell I love using egg crate? LOL!

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:06 pm

For my tat in development, I had a back egg crate vertical 90 deg ziptied, and a "ladder" like motorcrab mentioned Long the pvc pipe to give stability so it doesn't waver.

My platform flips on top of the pool as opposed to off the opposite side, but same concept. The part on top of the main part of the tank is a separate piece from the platform. I used pvc pipe connections to add stability and to hold its structure.ImageImage

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:34 pm

Scarletfire wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:50 am
How large are your proposed pvc pipes and pool? I can help draft something.

The pvc pipes will stick out about 5" maybe. And the pools will be plastic containers. Rectangle.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:37 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:48 pm
What are you going to use for your pools? Plastic containers?

I think you can still use the egg crate and cut the center of the platform out for the pool to drop in. Then you can zip tie the PVC pipe to the egg crate. For reinforcement you and add 3-4 squares of egg crate below the platform. Think of a square container upside down. Even extend the egg crate down the pipes as ladders.

Our guys always climb on the egg crate. It's a good way to make a lot of climbing area.

Can you tell I love using egg crate? LOL!
I did buy eggcrate for the back wall. I was going to get more for at least one side wall too. And, yes, platic containers. How do you cut the eggcrate? I bought a plastic cutter that was on the shelf below. Figured that's what it was for. Nope. Doesn't do a thing. Just makes scratches. I like your idea to support the pool. Thanks.

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:20 pm

I use side cutters to cut egg crate, then file the edges until it becomes smooth. Lots of filing haha.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:33 pm

Scarletfire wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:06 pm
For my tat in development, I had a back egg crate vertical 90 deg ziptied, and a "ladder" like motorcrab mentioned Long the pvc pipe to give stability so it doesn't waver.

My platform flips on top of the pool as opposed to off the opposite side, but same concept. The part on top of the main part of the tank is a separate piece from the platform. I used pvc pipe connections to add stability and to hold its structure.ImageImage

Wow! Thanks. So is that a glass tank pool?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:06 pm

I use heavy duty wire cutters. I had them for years when I tied rebar in my construction days. They are made by Kline. They make clean cuts along the edge.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:23 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:06 pm
I use heavy duty wire cutters. I had them for years when I tied rebar in my construction days. They are made by Kline. They make clean cuts along the edge.
Ok. Great. Thanks.

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:18 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote: Wow! Thanks. So is that a glass tank pool?
I used 5gal tanks (currently in development).

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:25 am

Here is a picture of the pliers I use.Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:19 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:25 am
Here is a picture of the pliers I use.Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thank you. My husband must have this in his abundant tool box. Lol