Instant Ocean

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
amhet88

Instant Ocean

Post by amhet88 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:11 pm

Sorry if this is a silly question, but for those who use instant ocean, is the salt supposed to completely dissolve? I use a 1qt bottle and estimated that it would need approx 4 tablespoons of salt, but it doesn't seem to be completely dissolving so I hope I'm not putting in too much! Thanks :)

Hermiesguardian

Re: Instant Ocean

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:46 pm

amhet88 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:11 pm
Sorry if this is a silly question, but for those who use instant ocean, is the salt supposed to completely dissolve? I use a 1qt bottle and estimated that it would need approx 4 tablespoons of salt, but it doesn't seem to be completely dissolving so I hope I'm not putting in too much! Thanks :)
It should but I think there will always be sediment. I usually make mine with very warm water at the beginning of the mix, shake, then continue with cooler water. I make a gallon at a time.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:36 pm

A bit of sediment at the bottom is normal. Unless you powerhead it for a while you’re going to get some salt settling out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:21 am

Some salt always seems to settle in the bottom of my bottle too. So I make sure I always shake it up again before refilling the soaking dish.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:22 am

Both! LOL!

There will always be a bit of sediment.

And you are also using too much salt. The proper concentration is 1 Tbsp in one pint (2 cups). So you would need 2 Tbsp in one quart (4 cups).
Source:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=92553
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
amhet88

Post by amhet88 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Oh no I can't believe I had calculated the mixture for 2 quarts! Thanks for warning me! That fixes the problem :lol:

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:45 pm

amhet88 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:28 pm
Oh no I can't believe I had calculated the mixture for 2 quarts! Thanks for warning me! That fixes the problem :lol:
No problem! I am glad you asked the question!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers