Video cameras?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Video cameras?

Post by Crabby in NJ » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:19 pm

Sooo....new tech and I’m behind on the times I guess. What do you all suggest or use for night time to catch what goes on? I can only stay awake sooo long lol.
Do you have to pay to watch the stuff u record? Best options out there? I’m beyond lost when I attempt to figure it out. Thanks!
:crabbigsmile:
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

Maddamay32

Re: Video cameras?

Post by Maddamay32 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:27 pm

I finally bought a wyze camera, because that was the most popular suggestion on here. I love it, I have it set up outside of the tank because they are not outdoor cameras. I suggest you go straight to the wyze website (their cheaper on there than Amazon surprisingly)

And no, you don't have to pay for what you record, once you buy the camera all the features are included. You just have to download the free wyze app on your phone in order to watch what is being recorded or watch the live feed. Just read up on the different kind of cameras they offer, some follow movement, not all record after movement is detected, etc.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:03 pm

I agree. I just bought the basic $20 wyze and an sd card for it. It attaches to the wall easy and is fairly straight forward and easy to use. You register it and control it with an app on your phone. You can set it to motion capture which works decently enough to help you know when they hiding or staying down. It has night vision. You can go back and review the previous 48 hours I believe. I just got it tuesday and I have seen 5 if the 7 I have. I previously thought 4 were staying down and molting only to discover they just bury themselves every day and come out late at night. I have noticed they are active starting around 11p. Most out by 3 a and then back hiding or down by about 5 a.
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:12 am

I have used Wyze but currently use the 360 Wireless Smart Home Security Camera 1080p HD Indoor Surveillance IP System with Night Vision, Two Way Audio and Motion Detection Remote Control for Baby and Pet,360 App for iOS and Android.
I copied and pasted all that. Lol. I like it better than the Wyze because the position can be adjusted easier. I also install an sd card. I put my cameras in the tank.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:06 am

Ty to everyone who has responded! I shall definitely check out both names and hope that I can decipher the lingo lol and get the proper cam for these characters! So far, I haven’t seen my 2 babies in weeks but the medium sized 2 come out shortly after I switch to the red bulb at night or 3am seems to be the bewitching hour over here. Naturally that is a guesstimate lol!
Thanks again!!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:24 am

I also got a Wyze cam recently. But I have used it more for keeping track of the stray cat at our property that we trapped and is now living in the crawl space of my husband's office. LOL.
Is there a way to set it so that you get an alert when there is movement in the tank?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:39 am

Click on your camera window , in the upper right hand side there is a gear. Click motion capture and then it will catch motion in the tank (sometimes). Theres another section (I forget where) that you can adjust the sensitivity of when it will detect. I turned it all the way up. When it detects motion it will take a 12 second video. I have noticed that when looking at the feed from previous night they move and it doesn't always detect them. The motion capture makes it easier to find them int he feed later. It deletes the motion capture videos the next day.
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:46 am

curlysister wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:24 am
I also got a Wyze cam recently. But I have used it more for keeping track of the stray cat at our property that we trapped and is now living in the crawl space of my husband's office. LOL.
Is there a way to set it so that you get an alert when there is movement in the tank?
I had mine set up to send me a notification whenever it detected movement. I turned that off after about 20 minutes. About ever 30 seconds it notified me it detected movent. The time lapse is my favorite. Set how often it takes a picture and for how long. There is just something comical about crabs running about at high speeds!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:29 pm

Which wyze camera do u have motorcrab?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:13 pm

Just the $20 ones from their website.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:57 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:13 pm
Just the $20 ones from their website.
Ty :crabbigsmile:

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:45 pm

I just have the $20 one also. I have been using it to keep an eye on the stray cat on our property, which then moved into the crawl space under my husband's office. So that 's why I was wanting to be notified of movement, LOL.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:02 pm

So how’s that working for you so far, curly?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:34 pm

Crabby in NJ wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:02 pm
So how’s that working for you so far, curly?
Well, I used it to watch through the kitchen window, so I knew when kitty came to eat on the deck. Then once I set the live trap, I could watch her go in and eat the food and leave, and the trap not close! So....I got another trap and set up the camera to watch for her, and knew exactly when she went in the trap so she didn't have to stay there in the cold. Then she got loose in the garage, and went under my husband's office. And I used the camera to watch when she was coming to eat. She then got comfortable enough that she started coming out into the office, even when my husband and then clients were there. We thought we were going to have to trap her again, but she got herself into the file room, and my husband was able to corral her into a large dog kennel. So she's got food and water and a litterbox in there, and will be going to the vet in the morning to get spayed/ neutered (we have not confirmed the sex) and vaccinated. Then we will find her a new home!

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:46 pm

That’s awesome. Glad everything is working out! 💗😁