Can I use this in my crabitat

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Julsie

Can I use this in my crabitat

Post by Julsie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:43 am

I have this reptile hammock thing in my crabitat that ive had for a few weeks and it has this grey dusty looking material appearing on it. I used to mist the tank a lot but my humidity is always near 80% so i stopped misting a lot. Is this safe for my crabitat? I see a lot of hammocks in other crabitats so idk.. what is this stuff? ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can I use this in my crabitat

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:33 am

Its mould. Harmless to crabs, but can be an irritant (especially with people that have allergies). Happens due to high humdity and lack of airflow.

To get rid of it:
- increase airflow
- soak the hammock in salt water (salt water retards growth)
- Dont actively mist the hammock

(Many just soak in saltwater, allow it to fully dry and then add back to the tank)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:37 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Its mould. Harmless to crabs, but can be an irritant (especially with people that have allergies). Happens due to high humdity and lack of airflow.

To get rid of it:
- increase airflow
- soak the hammock in salt water (salt water retards growth)
- Dont actively mist the hammock

(Many just soak in saltwater, allow it to fully dry and then add back to the tank)

Thanks! Im new to crabbing so i’m just trying to learn new things along the way! Ive never dealt with mold before so I had no idea it looked like that lol I thought it was something entirely different but thank u i’ll soak it. Will salt from the table work? Or does it have to be a certain kind

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:54 am

For salt use salt that you're currently using for the crabs. It should be marine grade salt, used for marine fish/reef aquariums. This contains trace elements which the crabs use, as it closely mimics the ocean. Hermit crab salts dont vontain these, and normally are table salts in fancy packaging.

(Table salts should also be avoided as its common for them to have anti caking agents)

(Many on here use instant ocean, however other brands lile red sea or fluval marine salt can be used.)

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:57 am

aussieJJDude wrote:For salt use salt that you're currently using for the crabs. It should be marine grade salt, used for marine fish/reef aquariums. This contains trace elements which the crabs use, as it closely mimics the ocean. Hermit crab salts dont vontain these, and normally are table salts in fancy packaging.

(Table salts should also be avoided as its common for them to have anti caking agents)

(Many on here use instant ocean, however other brands lile red sea or fluval marine salt can be used.)

ok thank u. how long do i leave it soaked for before i let dry? && also can u help me with my other question that i have posted in emergency. ):

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:51 am

Enough that it allows all fibres to soak fully. A couple of minutes should more than suffice.