HERMIES HAVE NOT MOLTED!!!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
gflor119

HERMIES HAVE NOT MOLTED!!!

Post by gflor119 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:10 pm

I got my hermit crabs about three weeks ago from the pet store they have all the correct equipment, but neither of them have molted yet. A family member of mine just got her hermit crabs yesterday and one of them already molted! Is it bad that mine haven't molted yet could they be stressed? They eat and burrow just fine, but they always come back up without having molted. Please help I feel I might be worrying for nothing, but i just want to be on the safe side.
2 hermit crabs ( 1 is about 1 inch and the other is about 2-3 inches)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: HERMIES HAVE NOT MOLTED!!!

Post by curlysister » Fri May 22, 2020 11:12 pm

Okay, this is good that you made a new topic. I replied to your questions elsewhere but will keep it all in this thread from now on.

What are your temp and humidity?
What are you using for substrate?
How big is your tank?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
gflor119

Post by gflor119 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:45 am

My tank is a 20 gallon, I use Eco Earth at a 1-2 to 6 inch incline, my temp is about 75 and my humidity is around 75 as well. Yes, and thank you for all your help I'm new to the HCA/hermit crab ownership

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat May 23, 2020 12:33 pm

I would make the sub 6 inches all over, or if you want a slope have 6 inches as the minimum. They might not feel that they have enough available space to molt.
Is the EE moistened with dechlor fresh or salt water?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat May 23, 2020 12:50 pm

I personally recommend that your temperature and humidity are a minimum of 80.

I know your case isn't an emergency, but if you would like for us to check out your tank specs, please fill out the following: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 27&t=46102

Edit: Once you have filled it out, you can repost it here to keep it on topic.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
gflor119

Post by gflor119 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:21 pm

An update on my hermit crabs: One of them, Zoidberg, had his very first shell change since I got him and I got to see it! I know its rare to witness them, but I walked by their tank and noticed it! I was so excited! As for my other crab, Hermes, Hermes usually sleeps in the half log most of the day and is at his most active at night, obviously, and when he burrows he usually leaves like half of his shell poking out from the top and I can easily see him, but today marks day number two that I have not seen him. I know where he dug himself, but I can't actually see him because his shell isn't poking out like normal, so I'm hoping he's going to be my first molter. What do you guys think? Wish me luck! :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 24, 2020 10:45 pm

Sometimes they change into larger shells because the molt sac is uncomfortable for them in their current shell, so maybe he is getting ready to molt. Don't worry if he doesn't. Molting takes time :) Whatever you do, don't dig him up.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
gflor119

Post by gflor119 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:03 pm

Thank you for all your help! Yet another update, I made the sub 6 inches all over and rearranged almost everything + my humidity has gone up since then, but I decided to take a break from checking up on them/worrying if they're molting. That being said, it has now been about a week that I have not seen my strawberry, Hermes and I'm 99.9% sure that he's molting because I last saw him under a hide, but the other day that I was changing the water he had burrowed his way under the water dish. I also think he has tunnels because he managed to travel from under the hide to under the dish without coming to the surface, that I know of. Thoughts? Another question I have is, is it normal for your crabs to almost never come to the surface during the day? I know they're nocturnal and I wondered if the LED light built into the tank was bothering them, but then I noticed that they only come out at around midnight, earliest was like 9 pm. From other posts I've read, everyone's crabs seem so active and are out and about during the day and are even out when their food is being changed, but mine never seem to do that. I believe my other crab, a PP, might be getting ready to molt soon as well.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:17 pm

Yes, tunneling is pretty common. I’d be surprised if they went down and up in the same place.

As for nighttime activity, that’s normal. Some crabs like to move around during the day, or even prefer dawn and dusk, but for the most part being nocturnal is not a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
gflor119

Post by gflor119 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:07 am

I AM STRUGGLING! I’m not totally correct, but it has been roughly 29 days that BOTH my crabs have been down. If you couldn’t already tell, I am extremely impatient and I really want them to be done molting so I can redecorate their tank and see them explore. :( This isn’t an emergency, but I plan on rescuing 2 more crabs this weekend and I know not to introduce them while others are molting, which is why I want them to reappear within the next few days and my family is starting to get skeptical as to whether or not they’re even alive and pretty much doubting the whole process. I am fairly new to this, so this whole experience has been a “learning as I go” type of thing. I wanted to know, would it be harmful if I were to just move the substrate around to see where they are? & Can I pick them up just to see if there’s any noticeable differences or problems? I completely underestimated molting, but I am completely devoted so I am trying my best. I just need reassurance they are still alive and them being stationary is their way of hibernating so I won’t worry too much. If it helps to give an estimate as to how long it’ll take for them to finish molting, I believe I have a medium and small, but I’ve never properly measured so it’s a guesstimate. Hope someone can help😂

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:31 am

29 days is NOT a long time. Do not dig them up, or move substrate around, or check on them.

Links

Post by Links » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:45 am

curlysister wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:31 am
29 days is NOT a long time. Do not dig them up, or move substrate around, or check on them.

I agree, be patient. I always get worried too but they always come back up. Unless it’s the first molt then I worry more but I still let them do their own thing because that’s best.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:58 am

Us hermit crab enthusiasts call our tanks during this time our pet sand. This is quite common. :) Don't worry!

Topic author
gflor119

Post by gflor119 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:42 pm

Thank you all! 🙏 This is their first molt with me, so I’m definitely over stressing and worrying way more than I need to.😩😂