Disturbed Hermit Crab during 'intermolt'/Anecdysis phase.

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Happygeek

Disturbed Hermit Crab during 'intermolt'/Anecdysis phase.

Post by Happygeek » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:05 am

Hi all, brand new to the forums here. Recently my hermit crab, Flash, has molted, shedded his exo and hardened under the bath tub (weird, ik). Being extremely paranoid and unaware of the 'hermit crab molting rules' I lifted up the bathtub and saw his exo remains (not a full, but bits scattered). After sniffing around for the death smell and then feeling reassured, I closed the lid anrmd waited a couple of weeks as I assumed it would be enough time to harden. So, once again being ignorant (before I read up about it online), I lifted the tub, sniffed around and then lifted the hermie up. He was alive, and was hard (easy to tell from sight) and also a different bluish colour, which I assume was applied during the molting period. Feeling pretty happy at the time (yay my hermit crab molted!) I quickly bathed him (very shallow) and he popped out to say hello. I then proceeded to put him back on the surface of the sand, worried that he may not be able to dig up from the heavy bathtub, and watched him scuttle normally into the little hut I have set up. I then read up on the molting phases and had an 'oh crap' moment, as I realised I may have disturbed a stage of his molting. I put a few bits of exo back into the hut, and plan to mist shortly, but I'm worried. Have I caused him any damage? Did I disturb him at all? I now do realise that digging up crabs is NOT good but I worried he may have difficulties resurfacing.

Do I need to take any action? Have I done anything harmful?

Thanks,
Gabe

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Disturbed Hermit Crab during 'intermolt'/Anecdysis phase.

Post by curlysister » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:33 am

Has he been moving around normally since he's been on the surface?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:21 pm

I don’t think you did any permanent damage, but he was resurfaced before he was ready. If you have other crabs with him he’ll have to be isolated for protection, either in his own tank or a half soda bottle pressed into the substrate around him. He can return once he’s walking around and eating as normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Happygeek

Post by Happygeek » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:34 pm

UPDATE: A few minutes after in the hut, he went back outside and walked around (I don't know why), and stayed out for the misting, which he enjoyed. I then bade him goodnight, and I saw him walk back into his hut. I checked on him just then, this morning and he has dug a bunch of coconut husk up in a big pile to block the doorway of the hut, and I can see him resting in there.

As of currently he does not have any crabbie friends to disturb him.