what to do after he's shed his exoskeleton?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

what to do after he's shed his exoskeleton?

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:51 am

My crab did a surface molt last week, and since he's the only one I have right now (his buddy passed away a week before Christmas and I haven't had a chance to get another), I've just let him be. He's starting to move around and all, he camped out in the water dish yesterday, everything seems to be going fine. What I'm wondering about is - does he still want to be in the dark? I've had the tank covered with a black cloth to keep the light out. But maybe he's ready to get some light during the daytime now? What do you all think?

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:06 pm

Hi there! I would go ahead and allow the "Lil' Dude" see the light of day 8)
If all seems well... Let him resume normal Day/night.
:)
Welcome to the HCA! Advice for the Stressed, Owners and Crabs alike.
Been Crabby Since 8/16/05 Land, Marine Hermit Crabs Since Summer '04
Currently Have 4 PPs. I have Countless Successful Molts!
MY "Lil Dudes"

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:32 pm

I agree with OIF_VET. :)

Has he eaten most of his exo? Since he is starting to move around all over the place, he is probably sufficiently hardened & is ready for life to resume as normal. :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:43 pm

I don't know if he's eaten any of his exo at all - he doesn't seem interested. Although last night I checked him when I went to bed, and he was "hugging" it. So maybe he was eating?

As I said, he ventured into the water dish yesterday, and I can see where he at least stuck a leg or two in the food dish. I've got the food, water, and cocohut all in the corner of the tank for him, so everything is close by.

I moved the cloth away so he can get some light today. We'll see if he likes it. :)

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:11 pm

Well, he should be showing a lot of interest in his exo, but he might just be sneaking some snacks while your not in the room. But, since he doesn't appear interested, you should be offering a lot of extra calcium and protein rich foos to make up for his lack of interest. :D
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

hermietastic

Post by hermietastic » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:53 pm

Yeah, I just had a crab surface molt and I kept him in his hidey for about a week. He was a small, and not all the exo was eaten, but when you think he is ready is probably is. :wink:
2 Bombina Orentalis
2 Eublepharis macularius
5 Coenobita clypeatus

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:14 am

Well, I let my hermie have light yesterday. It bothered me a lot that he didn't move or respond to anything all day long. This morning, he still hadn't moved or anything so I picked him up to check... :cry:

The little guy didn't make it.

Thanks for all the help, though.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:38 pm

I'm so sorry :(

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:18 pm

I'm so sorry! :cry: I was concerned when you said that he wasn't interested in his exo. That rarely happens, and it is not a good sign. Poor guy just had a tough molt......You did nothing wrong. [smilie=comfort.gif]

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:19 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. [smilie=comfort.gif]

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:23 pm

Thanks, everybody. I appreciate your kindness more than you know! [smilie=love.gif]