on potatoes:

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
scyllarus

on potatoes:

Post by scyllarus » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:06 pm

i haven't tried the normal varieties, but my parents picked up these "blue" potatoes (they're more purple-black, but after googling purple potatoes and not getting the right kind, i found they're officially called blue potatoes. they're like russet potatoes with purple skin and dark purple flesh) and my hermit crabs love them. someone literally dug through the other foods in order to eat the piece of potato i put in the tank. they forewent the date, the chicken, and the boiled squash for potato.

anyone tried other varieties? i don't remember seeing them on the hermit crab favorites list, and seeing as my colony eats so little normally, i'm surprised that they enjoyed boiled potato so much.

aquav

Post by aquav » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:47 am

I personally like them better than regular potatoes too, so I can imagine your hermies found them to be a treat!
Have you tried them yet, what do you think?
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Mahatma Gandhi

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:12 am

I also like them much more then normal spuds! Thanks for the heads up, I will have to try them and see whether my Aussies like them too.

cheers Jennie

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:49 pm

Where were you able to find them? I had a fresh blue potato once about 15 years ago and LOVED it, but I've never found them again in the stores. (All I can find is the potato chips. :) )
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

tigermoon89

Post by tigermoon89 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:31 pm

I've found them at Trader Joes. They are usually in a mixed medley potato pouch.
Crystal
"There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher

My organic hermit crab food store, Crabby Teas is now up and running! Please feel free to check out the shop. Mention the HCA and I will include a free gift! http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrabbyTeas?ref=pr_shop

aquav

Post by aquav » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:16 pm

Sometimes Sam's Club carries them, as well as Wal-Mart.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Mahatma Gandhi

Topic author
scyllarus

Post by scyllarus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:39 am

they were pretty good, though i had expected them to be sweet potatoes and was sorely disappointed. as regular eating potatoes, they have a rather softer texture.

i had actually put in a smaller piece that was nothing but a small strip of skin at the end of the night. they've gotten more since then, and while they're not quite as enthused, they still seem to like it.