Donations

Please Help us out by donating!

Your contribution help pay for hosting and other site maintenance!

Sub Menu
Search

Metal and Rust in the crabitat

Same as active Forum above, only archived.

Moderator: Moderators (Standard)

Metal and Rust in the crabitat

PostAuthor: JediMasterThrash » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:32 pm

This is a repost of one of my articles that got lost:



There's still a lot of fear of metal in general, and rust, as it concerns our hermit crabs.

It is my theory that iron is not dangerous to crabs, rusted or not. Rust doesn't seem to actually be dangerous to anything, it just looks ugly. Rust is nothing more than the compound iron oxide. If you lick rusty nails all day for years you might eventually get iron poisoning, but you can also get water poisoning from drinking too much in a short period of time.

----------
The burden of proof at this point seems to be the other way around. As far as I can find, there is simply no evidence that rust is bad for crustaceans, or humans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_oxide

It's not listed as toxic or a pesticide in the pesticide database:
http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Che ... Id=PC37280

----------
Entire underwater ecosystems are created on the rusted out hulls of old ships. The use of rusted hulls of sunken ships for artificial reefs on the ocean floor is common knowledge:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_reef
http://artificial-reefs.blogspot.com/20 ... -reef.html

----------
Rust (Iron oxide) is actually a mineral-based pigment for red lipstick, approved by the FDA up to certain levels. This is one of those rare cases where synthetic iron oxide is actually better than natural iron oxide, because iron oxide will absorb lead, mercury, and arsenic from its natural surroundings, but synthetic iron oxide has no such toxic compounds. But we don't have to worry about that, since there isn't any lead, arsenic, or mercury in our crabitats for the newly formed rust to leech from.

This is pretty much common knowledge, but the first couple hits on google attest to it:
http://www.natural-living-for-women.com ... stick.html
http://www.copperwiki.org/index.php/Lipstick

----------
And I've been using those metal mini-cubes for years in my crabitat and they rust in the moist substrate. I also had some rusty screws in my waterfall (the zoo-med waterfall is held together by two iron screws). No ill effects noted.

----------
Not all metal ions are toxic or carcinogenic. Only a few heavy-metal ions are known to be unsafe: Cr (chromium), Ni (nickel), As (arsenic), and Cd (cadmium).

Stainless steel is coated in chromium, so stainless steel should be avoided.

And here's a few articles on which heavy metals are dangerous:
http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/LEAAdvisory/56/attach2.htm
http://www.water.ncsu.edu/watershedss/info/hmetals.html
Showing arsenic, cadmium, chromium, and nickel to be toxic for invertebrates or aquatic life.
beryllium is toxic, but not likely to build up in water
lead and mercury of course we all know as toxic, but they don't represent the bulk of heavy metal ions in water
Copper and zinc we've talked about in another thread. It is toxic in high quantities, but is a necessary element for all life in small quantities.

----------
Metal in general isn't necessarily bad. It a misconception based on fact, caused by overgeneralization. Heavy metal ions in water (listed above) are dangerous to crabs. But not all metal creates toxic ions in water, and not all metals are heavy metals. I think it started with the fact that heavy metal ions need to be removed from water through the use of a tap water conditioner, and got overgeneralized to any metal in the crabitat being dangerous to crabs.

Sometimes facts are propagated from website to website and caresheet to caresheet, and eventually become common knowledge fact. Except that a fact might be true or false, and I enjoy challenging them from time to time.

I can't claim I'm right either. Well, it's not a case of my view vs. someone else's. I just haven't found evidence that rust is harmful yet. But someday we could.
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.
User avatar
JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:05 pm
Location: Nerima district of Tokyo, Japan

PostAuthor: Rhoney » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:31 pm

To be extremely honest, I upon dismantling my tank, I found a fake plant that had rust on it, I had that plant in there for well over two years, and no abnormal deaths occurred in my tank at all, rust is just naturally occurring
Currently No Hermit Crabs until I am out of college, but I have over 5 years of crabbing experience, and much advice to offer :)
User avatar
Rhoney
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:59 am
Location: NY

PostAuthor: suebee » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:19 pm

cant we somehow make this a link on the right somehow? this and the salt one? :D :D :D :D
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey
User avatar
suebee
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:14 am
Location: Lumberton NJ

PostAuthor: tnt4eva » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:30 pm

I had the privilege to snorkel and dive on the wrecks at Morten Island and no where along the beaches there was the sea-life so prolific as on those piles of rust.
User avatar
tnt4eva
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:31 pm
Location: Australia


Return to Archived Miscellaneous

Who is online

Registered users: Majestic-12 [Bot]