What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
moonbeam

What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:35 pm

Hi everyone!

So as title suggests this is a thread dedicated to just telling us about your crabs. What are their quirks? Favorite spots in the tank? Funny things that catch your eye. Anything oh and pictures are encouraged as well as just general crab awesomeness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Topic author
moonbeam

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:37 pm

I'll go first :) this is Squirt. She's currently dug down (possible molt?) but I caught her doing this last week. I love her ever adventurous spirit! Image

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:49 pm

I don't have a pic but my crabs climb all the way on top of the hydrometer, and if the lid was open they could crawl right out! i don't know how the heck they would get up there (last time they did there seemed to be no easy way to get on it) and as weird as it is, somehow or another lulu climbs up the corner of the glass. How the heck!? lulu is my most energetic and actually really my only crab (the other two aren't actually mine) that has molted at least.
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

Desirae327

Post by Desirae327 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:01 pm

I have a PP who loves to hang on the vines in the tank and sleeps there during the day. And then an E who loves to scratch at the front glass of the tank, walking from right to left and vice versa and doing this ALL. NIGHT. I haven't quite figured out if the thinks he will find a way out or what. But he'll even dig a little trench against the front glass I guess from walking back and forth so much.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:25 am

This is George. She is one of the many who like to sleep in this tree.Image
This is Iris. I took this picture about 20 minutes ago. ImageThis is Grumpy. He is an odd hermit.Image I could go on forever. My album on my phone is over 1,000 pics and I have only been crabbing since June 20th. This is Houdini. He and his species buddy that didn't make it were my first 2. Houdini is an E. Image
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:58 am

I love that George is female
Cute Iris pic!

Brittanybaby22

Post by Brittanybaby22 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:38 am

Dwebble my purple pincher likes hanging out in his food dish he sits there moving his antennae he's really cute

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:42 am

YYWW wrote:I love that George is female Image
Cute Iris pic!

Thanks! I didn't know how to tell female or male when I got her so George just happened to be a girl. Lol. After all this time I still have 1 that is a mystery. He/she won't come out enough and stay out long enough to check.

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:47 am

Well Lulu is a boy... and one needs to come out literally one or two more millimeters >.>
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:35 pm

shanedaman112 wrote:I don't have a pic but my crabs climb all the way on top of the hydrometer, and if the lid was open they could crawl right out! i don't know how the heck they would get up there (last time they did there seemed to be no easy way to get on it) and as weird as it is, somehow or another lulu climbs up the corner of the glass. How the heck!? lulu is my most energetic and actually really my only crab (the other two aren't actually mine) that has molted at least.
haha I think I've seen a cartoon on this forum at one point about crabs crawling up corners of a tank. They're excellent climbers! None of my crabs have done this yet but I'd love to see it in action.

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:37 pm

Desirae327 wrote:I have a PP who loves to hang on the vines in the tank and sleeps there during the day. And then an E who loves to scratch at the front glass of the tank, walking from right to left and vice versa and doing this ALL. NIGHT. I haven't quite figured out if the thinks he will find a way out or what. But he'll even dig a little trench against the front glass I guess from walking back and forth so much.
When I read this last night I actually started giggling! How cute your crabs must be. Maybe he thinks he's the guardian or the tank and is on look out for danger? Lol who knows but I bet it's entertaining Image

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:42 pm

The picture of iris cracks me up- almost out!!
This is a funny pic of my big guy Epic pushing over Tweets.
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:42 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:This is George. She is one of the many who like to sleep in this tree.Image
This is Iris. I took this picture about 20 minutes ago. ImageThis is Grumpy. He is an odd hermit.Image I could go on forever. My album on my phone is over 1,000 pics and I have only been crabbing since June 20th. This is Houdini. He and his species buddy that didn't make it were my first 2. Houdini is an E. Image
Thats why I created this thread! I have so many pictures of the crabs and sometimes I just wanna post a random funny one so I figured this would be a great way to do it. Love George, I had a Mr. Krabs and then I found out he was a she. I tried to rename her and couldn't come up with one so I kept calling her lil mama while I was trying to decide. Well the name stuck so now she's just lil mama lol.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:46 pm

moonbeam wrote: haha I think I've seen a cartoon on this forum at one point about crabs crawling up corners of a tank. They're excellent climbers! None of my crabs have done this yet but I'd love to see it in action.

I posted the pic. Here it is again. Image

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:46 pm

Just like that, looks exactly like lulu did :D