New indo owner few questions

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
hermitcrab101

Post by hermitcrab101 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:40 am

I recently ended up buying an indo from a pet store (if you haven't read my other thread) this is my first Indo and I have some questions regarding it's care.

I've read mixed things about Indos, since being the most terrestrial species some older websites say they prefer dry climates with mainly salt water being provided. I found this strange since according to text books these crabs are living miles off shore in a tropical climates drinking mostly fresh water, but still some saltwater. That being said wouldn't this crab be allot like purple pinchers, coming from off shore tropical areas?

My substrate is a mix between Eco earth and sand, a little more then the 5:1 ratio more of a 5:2. It has a top layer of moss, leaf littler, bark and Palm tree husks. This is suitably for my indo right?

I feed my crabs insects, leafs, bark, cuttlebone, fruits/veggies, oats and grains, and worm casting occasionally dusted with a reptile vitamin. Will this be alright for my indo or should I change it? I already plan to go buy some coconuts.

Lastly, is the pink indo color variation genetic or dietary? And how big will he get?

tykesanimalkingdom

Re: New indo owner few questions

Post by tykesanimalkingdom » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:28 am

The substrate you have is fine. Indos prefer to stay dry, so the moss layer you have will keep most of the moisture in there.

The food you supplied is great. It's a good variety for any species. Salt and fresh water should both be provided.

The pink is actually a mutation of the crab. I am not positive if it is genetic or not.

Also, (like any other species) Indos prefer to have a partner. So getting another may be a good idea.

I've also heard Indos can be very aggressive. Even toward their own species. So just keep a look out and make sure none of your other crabs are getting bullied :)

Hope this helped a little! Good luck with your new crab!

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:40 pm

My indos are not aggressive at all towards each other or anyone else in the tank. It's a huge tank though with plenty of room. They do hang out together so I too would suggest getting a buddy. They use both the fresh and salt water although they don't swim like the other species I have. They love to eat bark, leaves and flower petals and are constantly munching on that stuff! They do need the other foods you mentioned as well. They are a beefier species although mine are still small to medium in size after a year with me. I hear they can grow quite large. Mine are more active at night, but they don't hide all day and will sleep out in the open. They are a quite beautiful species.
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:34 pm

I have an indo from a recent adoption. He is my largest crab and in between large/ jumbo size. The pervious owner described him as a gentle giant. From what I've seen he is more docile than the other crabs. Every once and a while I see him flip a crab but I feel like that's more to his sheer size than anything else. I feel like he is always awake though. I see him out and about at all times of the day/ night. He lives by his own rules! Eventually when I upgrade i want to get him a buddy but right now he's doing fine with PPs and violas! Poseidon is my indo Image
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Topic author
hermitcrab101

Post by hermitcrab101 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:56 pm

So I went to go check on my new indo to find him slightly hanging out of his shell, just enough that I could see that front pair of legs that usually stay hidden within the shell. The shell is a little small for him, but not that small. Is this normal for him or should I be concerned? He was at the pet store for 2 months if there's any correlation.

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:10 pm

How long have you had him? Sometimes they can sit strange to air out their shells or to clean them out, but that's no big deal. If it's like he is weak and falling out that is another issue.
All kinds of crabby!

Topic author
hermitcrab101

Post by hermitcrab101 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:14 pm

Ryry wrote:How long have you had him? Sometimes they can sit strange to air out their shells or to clean them out, but that's no big deal. If it's like he is weak and falling out that is another issue.
Well I've had him for a day now, he's not weak and he's reacting fast to any movement near him. I think it's more of the shell airing out now that you mention it, unless this doesn't sound like it.

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:17 pm

That was my first thought. They can sort of prop up their shells and lean forward like they are trying to air out their bottoms lol. If he isn't acting strange besides the way he's sitting than that's my guess. If his shell is a little tight and you have adequate shells for him to change into I'm sure he will switch shells soon. Whenever I get a new crab that's one of the first things they do.
All kinds of crabby!

Topic author
hermitcrab101

Post by hermitcrab101 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:40 pm

Ryry wrote: If his shell is a little tight and you have adequate shells for him to change into I'm sure he will switch shells soon.
Yeah I have to find a place to buy some shells, I've been having some trouble since I can't size him exactly and I'm also having trouble finding shells big enough for him, allot of the places I looked are sold out.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:13 pm

I've not had a crab hang out of his shell (even part way) for any good reason. I'd keep a close eye on him and make sure he's got deep (like 10-12 inches for that size indo) substrate, proper heat/humidity, good energy foods & calcium at all times and try to get some shells his size. In my experience (and many others here have had the same experience) indos have a hard time transitioning. Try not to handle him as it is stressful to a new crab and let him adjust to his new home. I had 8 indos at one time and now only have 4. 2 passed from PPS pretty early on, but the others lived almost a year before passing. I've spent a lot of time nursing/nurturing them. It could be the other members and I all got ours from the same order last year and we got a weak batch, but I'm pretty sure some of the threads are from a different batch this year.
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:54 pm

Ryry wrote:I have an indo from a recent adoption. He is my largest crab and in between large/ jumbo size. The pervious owner described him as a gentle giant. From what I've seen he is more docile than the other crabs. Every once and a while I see him flip a crab but I feel like that's more to his sheer size than anything else. I feel like he is always awake though. I see him out and about at all times of the day/ night. He lives by his own rules! Eventually when I upgrade i want to get him a buddy but right now he's doing fine with PPs and violas! Poseidon is my indo Image
He is so beautiful.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:59 pm

hermitcrab101 wrote: Well I've had him for a day now, he's not weak and he's reacting fast to any movement near him. I think it's more of the shell airing out now that you mention it, unless this doesn't sound like it.
Like this?

This is Jockey. He was just airing out. :)

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:40 pm

Thanks Kelly! And the picture is a great example of what I was getting at!
All kinds of crabby!

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:41 pm

No problem. I posted this a few days ago under the topic of "what on earth?" Crabs are just really weird. Lol

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:46 pm

I remember that! That's what I immediately thought of. Little crabby swamp butt, lol. I hope that's all it is!
All kinds of crabby!