How long is it safe to be outside the tank

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
angelbear

How long is it safe to be outside the tank

Post by angelbear » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:07 am

With the encloser being small until boss can be conviced otherwise, or I can slip a larger encloser into the room without being in trouble, I have been taking active/visiable crabs and letting them exersize in a old box from our last shipment of supplies. I have some things to climb on and the sides are tall enough where they can't get out and it allows the kids to watch them and interact with them supervised of course. I also hope it is allowing them to exersize thier crabby legs.

How long is too long outside the habitat. I have been doing it anywhere between 10-20 minutes why we do the daily care and dish cleanings. Would more or less time be preferable. They don't seem stressed by the play place or nothin and with the exception of one who is dug down seem to love being handled, especially the smallest of the three stooges.
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

singlemomwithcrab

Re: How long is it safe to be outside the tank

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:12 am

One suggestion would be a warm wet towel under the play things.
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:15 am

now that I can do no problem. I guess I am worried about them drying out isince I know our classroom air is a little dryier, I place a dry towel on bath day, since the water dishes are shallow, and can't fit deeper ones, I have been encouraging / allowing them free excess to deeper dishes once a week in the play area.
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
1 e, and 1pp

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:18 am

10-20 minutes sounds ok to me. Depending on the conditions of the room, I don't think I would go longer than say 30 minutes. If you're in a more humid and warmer environment you could get away with longer.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:42 am

Baths aren't necessary most of the time and can stress the crabs. You may want to take that into consideration. :)
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:06 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:Baths aren't necessary most of the time and can stress the crabs. You may want to take that into consideration. :)
I don't force them to mearly give them an option to beable to safetly fully submerge themselves if they so choose. Easy to get in and out the dishes in the tank are shallow.They seem to enjoy it so I figure no harm done. When I first got them they were so dehydrated I couldn't keep them out of the water.
1 e, and 1pp

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:32 pm

Happy hermies. :)
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:34 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:Happy hermies. :)

yup that's what I figured too
1 e, and 1pp