When to get another crab?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
hermitcrab24

When to get another crab?

Post by hermitcrab24 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:52 pm

Hello,
Sadly my newest crab Baymax passed away last night :( . I have another crab, Snap, who is buried but comes up for food at night. I know I need to get another crab for Snap, I just don't know when. I was thinking this weekend. Would that be to soon?

Is there anything I can do to prevent PPS? I have lost 3 crabs in 3 months, one has been buried for 3 months, and the other has been buried for a few day. My mom wants me to give up on hermit crabs because I haven't had any luck. I told her I want to keep trying, but it's hard to keep losing them so fast. Any advice on avoiding fast deaths?

Thanks,
Bonnie

moonbeam

Re: When to get another crab?

Post by moonbeam » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:30 pm

I think maybe waiting for the warmer months to come around would be good. This cold weather makes it really hard on the crabs who are being shipped right now. Many die in shipping and even if they make it home to perfect conditions the cold may have lasting effects. Waiting for the warm weather to come back will probably help the crabs chances of making it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:35 pm

The thing is that I have another crab, so I need to get one now so he/she/it is not lonely.

rryan0604

Post by rryan0604 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:43 pm

Pretty sure your lone crab will be alright for a while by itself. When you think about how some go down to molt, they don't see each other very often anyhow.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:54 pm

Are you sure the one that is buried has passed? 3 month is still within a normal molting period, and if one is coming up for food the other may be sneaking out to eat and drink as well. They only really need have to have a single friend, anything past that is for our enjoyment.

Have you tried getting one from a different store, or adopting? Moonbeam is right that in winter many stores don't ship them properly and they can freeze in transit, but usually it's a on a store by store basis and sometimes even per shipment on if that happens. Some stores always get them in bad shape, no matter what time of year it is. Finding a new place to shop may make the difference, or adopting a crab that has already shown that it was able to adjust to captivity and has molted is even better.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:07 am

The one who passed was not buried. he was sitting on the surface, and yes I am sure he passed :( . There was a horrible smell and when I lifted his shell I could feel he wasn't holding on, it's hard to explain the feeling, but he felt different when I lifted his shell before he passed.

I only want one other if that is all they need to be happy. I have tried one Petsmart and 2 Incredible Pets, I guess I can try another Petsmart. I wish I could adopt but my mom isn't really comfortable with me doing that. I wish I new of a store that had good conditions and good crabs. Petsmart is the closest I can find. Maybe a different location will have better crabs.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:01 am

hermitcrab24 wrote:

one has been buried for 3 months, and the other has been buried for a few day.
I think this is the buried crab Wode is referring to. Are you sure s/he has passed?

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:24 am

Still confused on the question, the one who passed didn't burry, he was on the surface, the other two who are buried are alive as far as I can tell. The one who has been buried a few days comes up for food/water at night. The one who has been buried for 3 months hasn't come up and went down the day after I got her.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:42 am

So you have at least 2 crabs? So there's no rush to get another. It can wait for warmer weather (when crabs fair better).

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:47 am

I have two crabs in two separate tanks.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:51 am

I see. No worries, once one resurfaces you can go ahead and move him or her with the other.

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:05 pm

Are you sure Starlite is Okay? She has been buried for 3 months without food and water.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:17 pm

Depending on the crabs size and condition, they can be under for several months. When molting they don't come up for food or water so that's not surprising. But I can't say for sure whether or not she's ok. Unfortunately all that can be done is to wait. Don't give up on her just yet. :)

If you want to buy or adopt another crab, of course the decision is up to you and your parents. We just want you to be aware that purchasing crabs during colder months can decrease their chances of survival. So you may want to wait until warmer weather or try adopting.

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:27 pm

I will wait it out, she was about medium size I would say.

Since the weather is just now getting cold, wont the crabs there now have come during the warmer time?

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:02 pm

It depends on when they got their shipment in and what locations they traveled through during shipment. I've tracked packages before and have been very surprised by how out of the way some of them go! I'm not sure where you're located but it's been too cold here for around a month (with a couple fluke warm days here and there).