New crab owner! And a question regarding crabitat location.

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Joanna's eggs

New crab owner! And a question regarding crabitat location.

Post by Joanna's eggs » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Hi! I have been gathering supplies to start my first crabitat, but I had a question about the location of the crabitat itself. The only spot we have room for it is in my fiancé's and my master bedroom, which also has our 4 month old sons crib in it. My fiancé is concerned about any potential smells, bugs, or noise coming from the habitat. Should I be concerned about these things? Or is there anything I can do to reduce any of these possible problems?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: New crab owner! And a question regarding crabitat locati

Post by wodesorel » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:02 pm

As someone who has a background of severe allergies, I would hesitate keeping it in the bedroom of a baby or child. It's a warm and damp environment, so no matter what you do, there will always be mold present. Nothing toxic - but enough that it could aggravate allergies or potentially induce them, and of course air purity is important for infants.

That's really the only thing that would be a concern. The crabs can knock around at night, but that sort of thing is good to get used to or you end up being a light sleeper. Regularly changing the food dish will prevent smells. The tank can attract bugs, but they're not going to be anything harmful, just unsightly and usually pretty easy to be rid of.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Drakezilla

Re: New crab owner! And a question regarding crabitat locati

Post by Drakezilla » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:25 pm

You also might want to keep an eye on whatever you've used as bedding or substrate in the tank if it becomes overly saturated or used, it can really reek. For example: I recently added a moss pit to my crabitat and left it in too long after heavily misting it...it never occurred to me to change it often...so yeah after 2 weeks it was pretty terrible, but honestly of all the animals I've owned, crabs are probably the least smelly!
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**