I can't handle it anymore!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

I can't handle it anymore!

Post by hermitcrabdc » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:15 pm

I was digging right on the top of the sand in my 20g getting my new tote set up. Only to find my poor Devise not moving. He has his small claw and part of one leg, that's all. I'm devastated! I don't know what to do. I think it was one of the Es. The two Es and Devise have been down for a while now. I was afraid this would happen. I think Devise was in the middle of a molt then was attacked. He has some exo peeling off of him. As soon as I found him I got him some organic peanut butter and water. He's sitting in a small bowl next to me while I cry. I don't know what to do. I think the Es need to go. I'll make a post in Adoptions once I figure it out. He's soo dry can hardly move, probably won't make it :( . Someone please help, this is the 3rd attack Devise has suffered in less than a year. Please help all I can do is cry right now :crybaby: :( :(
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Re: I can't handle it anymore!

Post by hermitcrabdc » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:30 pm

With some water he's trying to get around but isn't moving very well.

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:34 pm

--Post that I didn't mean to post :)--
Last edited by hermitcrabdc on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:24 pm

This is all I can manage to put together right now
Can someone please tell me what to feed him? He's also missing his antennae and his mouth parts are pretty damaged. He can hardly eat. Should I just attempt to hand feed him everyday?
I'm almost positive he was mid molt then attacked. He's got exo on part of his eyes.
I'm heart broken....

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:26 pm

Honey with cuttlebone sprinkled on it. Try feeding him by hand and leave qtips of it stuck in the sand for him to get to easily.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:26 pm

Oh no! That doesn't sound very good...
I know you have told me, but how much crabs to do have in your tank currently? If I recall correctly, you have a mix of PP's & E's right? Personally, I believe that the tank is overcrowded since you mentioned that this has happened many times before. The most you can do is to spilt the crabs - maybe do the one species in the 20 and the other in the 32g?
I sorry that you have to go through this. However, it may be worth posting the emergency template just in case.
Good luck with Devise.
*hugs*
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:43 pm

Honey with cuttlebone sprinkled on it. Try feeding him by hand and leave qtips of it stuck in the sand for him to get to easily.
Does it have to be a certain kind of honey? Thanks I'll try not to bother him tonight then try to feed him something tomorrow.
I know you have told me, but how much crabs to do have in your tank currently? If I recall correctly, you have a mix of PP's & E's right? Personally, I believe that the tank is overcrowded since you mentioned that this has happened many times before. The most you can do is to spilt the crabs - maybe do the one species in the 20 and the other in the 32g?
Well now there's only two but it was 2 Es and 2 PPs. I really just don't want the Es anymore. They're great but I have no luck with them, obviously. I think I'm going to try and adopt them out :(

Here you go

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
About 6 inches of mixed ee and play sand
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

Before the heat lamp died it was 80-90 in the middle and lower on the edges
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
A small heat mat and a heat lamp. Here's the thing the only crabs in the 20 are the Es and they are down. There is currently no heat source on it because the heat lamp died. All crabs above ground (other than Devise) are in a small tank that is 80-90 degrees and 70-80 humidity.
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Instant ocean for salt water and a top fin ammonia neutralizer and de chlorinator
5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Veggies. Nuts. Cuttle bone and egg. Oatmeal and sometimes crackers or cheerios. Change it every few days
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
A year on December 17 and he is a PP
7. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
20g long tank. Screen lid
8. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
4. the Es are medium and one PP is small on the edge of medium and the other is around quarter size.
9. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Oh, about 20-25 maybe
10. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
I don't think so but my sister may have sprayed something without me knowing but she knows not to.
11. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Water changes every other day, usually. And pick up food as needed.
12. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no sponges
13. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
no
14. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
no
15. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

think you all know what's happening :)

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:50 pm

I just buy regular honey. I suppose organic would be better but mine drink it like crazy either way.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:54 pm

I'm so sorry to hear. :(

Have you seen this thread of Wodesorel's? In it she talks about how she cared for one of her crabs that had been attacked. I hope it helps. viewtopic.php?t=82507

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks Calla. I've seen it. I'll try to re-read it and see if I can take anything away from it.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:25 pm

Poor Devise i agree with crabbers who say E's shouldn't be kept in anything under 40gb. I personally can't imagine them in anything under a 75g, if there is more than 1 E.
For now i recommend hand feeding, if he will eat for you. If not, the qtip in the face. Devise needs you, and to be in ICU until he can molt.
After he molts i'm for rehoming the E's, but if you want to go for broke, i recommend a major upgrade with large, cycled pools and stuff.

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:26 pm

Quick question. I tried to give him some honey and cuttle bone. He seems to really want it but isn't trying to eat it. Is it because of his mouth parts being mangled? Any tips or ideas?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:06 pm

AS weird as this sounds I would rub it all over his mouth...

However, I think a less abusive option would be to place it on his BP or just providing the honey & cuttle.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:32 pm

No big pincher :) just his small one and a half leg. K got it. I'll do it tomorrow when I feed him.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:24 am

Try the q-tips coated in honey and the rolled in something dry like crushed shrimp or shredded coconut. It really just depends on what you have on hand, think powdered and nutrition packed. The honey is a definite benefit, but it's also used for edible "glue" to hold everything else into place while he eats. Hold that up to his mouth, and if he's able to eat he will. I would not recommend smearing anything on him directly as that can lead to bacterial infections if he's unable to clean himself off. If he can't eat because he's too injured...
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram