What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Ryry

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by Ryry » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:59 am

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:I just love me some hermits. Lol
Highest of truths!
I feel bad because there have been so many people in my area who have crabs that they wish to adopt out- but I really don't have room! I just got another email today of some one with some PPs in CT looking for a home but until I get my house and new set up I really don't want to take on any more. If it was 1-2 micro or small that I might wiggle in. But I don't want to put in any bigger and crowd my exotics and have any aggression. Man I can't wait to have my own place! Tonight I should be picking up my 125gal tank and stand so it will b ready when I move! Then I can take adoptions again!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:26 pm

I am trying to figure out how to bring up the topic of a second tank with my husband.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:26 pm

Blue was quite accommodating to the camera today

"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:44 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote: Which one? Lol
I think it was Phteven...of course. That was a while ago. I miss the little jerk.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:29 pm

megmaholm wrote: I think it was Phteven...of course. That was a while ago. I miss the little jerk.
I was talking about this guy. Btw, still a beautiful crab :) Oh and congrats Kelly on the pools! That is fantastic! Gives me hope for future pools in future tanks lol.
megmaholm wrote:I think I'm going to splurge on plexiglas to put over my screen lid instead of foil. Every time a crab gets up there and I hear their little feet hitting the foil, it makes me cringe like nails on a chalkboard. :lol:

I did some major rearranging last night. I decided as a route in/out of the SW pool I'll use part of a plastic vine, so it's siliconed and waiting to finish curing. I'm also working on a small plastic hide covered in river rock, so once it's done and cured it'll go in as well. That will, of course, mean more rearranging to make room. I have half a flower pot as their main hide, but I'll replace it with the plastic one. I have so much random stuff and I wish I could fit it all in the tank! I would sell/give it away but then I would probably want it. Yes, I'm a hoarder. ;)

And since I rarely post pics, here's my biggest crab Gregor after his molt:

And here he was before:

Same shell, but it looks like he got a little darker and he grew. I hope my Deltona order ships soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

ViiT

Post by ViiT » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:37 am

Schrodinger - Molting for 1 week, 5 days.
Hobbles - Molting for 2 weeks.
2 Un-named Micros (Anyone have suggestions) - Molting for 2 weeks.
Heisenberg - Hiding.
Tesla - Discovered the new leaf pit and is now eating the new leaf pit :lol:
40GB/6 PPs: Heisenberg (M), Hobbles (M), Schrödinger (F), Tesla (F), Icarus (?), 1 Un-named Micro
5G Isopod Tank: 3 Successful Reproductions

rml6f4

Post by rml6f4 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:54 pm

Both my new and old E went down early this week so my tank has been eerily quiet. I think my PPs are catching up on sleep after the great E molt storm of 2015... I already miss them and their chaotic reign over my tank Image

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:03 am

Am I the only one who sits in front of the tank putting comment bubbles in for what each of the crabs might be saying?

Example...one on my medium left a sink hole right in the entrance of my largest bonsai hide. Now every crab going in have to navigate the hole. Some of their comments have been...

"What the.. Scared myself...wasn't expecting that. That darn Cinnibun"

"Woah woah woah that was just woah"

And from princess bride... "How wude". That rude in an awful accent!
50 PPs, 1 E

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:01 am

LOL i just had this visual of a tank with meticulously placed comment bubble post-its all over it

Crabbers unite!!!

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:10 am

So at 4am I'm on the couch, alternating between reading and crab watching since my good buddy insomnia came for a visit.

I thought this was an empty shell at first, but no, it's my micro Tyrion in an impossibly huge shell.

He's very shy, so I rarely get pics of him.

This is...well, somebody. Weird story - I had a crab die that I thought was Magnum. Magnum had a bad molt where he was missing an eye, and I thought he regrew it during a second molt. But, then there's this crab who's missing an eye (same side) as well, and I'm wondering if it's actually Magnum and someone else died. It's driving me crazy!! Anyway, whoever it is, they're enjoying the shell shop.

Another mystery crab!! Haha.

The always handsome Biggie, who is currently digging and squeaking against the glass.

I don't remember if I posted this one already or not, but Alduin showing off his shiny shell. If I already posted it, I blame lack of sleep ;)

Drakezilla

What are your crabs up to?

Post by Drakezilla » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:54 pm

ImageImage
Draco's enjoying his new polished jade turbo from Deltona! Image
...and tearing open the screen lid on his tank playing spider crab, of course.Image
ImageImage
Last edited by Drakezilla on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:26 pm

Finally! A crab that isn't intimidated by Felix! One of the "new" little PPs (adopted in late November) goes toe-to-toe with Felix daily and hasn't backed down yet.

"King" Felix hadn't met the two new crabs as he was down for a molt when they arrived. He came up on Christmas, met both, promptly scared the crap out of PakyRaku (now known as Marble, indicative of his size :lol: ) who dug his way down and hasn't been seen since. The other little guy, Charles Paris (formerly known as IDunno 'cause he couldn't make up his mind which shell to wear), seems to have no idea that Felix is much larger than he is and takes no guff. Right now, Felix is sitting in the food bowl, stuffing his face with dry mix, and Charles Paris is hanging off the edge, likewise stuffing his face. No other crab has ever been able to get away with intruding on Felix while eating -- in fact, Big Enzo and Harry tend to drop food from their feeding claws and back out of the dish if Felix is heading their way!

So proud of this little fella! Just made his first Spider-Crab walk across the aquarium lid a few minutes ago and didn't fall.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:42 pm

Little one up from molt

50 PPs, 1 E

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:13 pm

singlemomwithcrab wrote:Little one up from molt

What a cutie!!

My guys are currently hiding and pouting. :roll: I have 5 up, and 3 are in virtually identical shells. I pulled everyone out quickly, took pics, and compared them to the ones I'd taken back in November. Fairly certain I've managed to ID everyone, but even if I'm wrong I'm sticking with my decision. :lol: Now I need my other 13 to come up so I can do the same with them. Samwell was up last night but I only got to see him for a few minutes. I got him back in September off CL, and he's only been up a total of maybe a week since I got him. Sigh. I'm hoping once winter is over more will be up and active.

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:11 am

Another little guy up

50 PPs, 1 E