Getting 30 gallon tank(Substrate issue)

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:32 am

Hey everyone!I need tips on how to get sand,I'm not from the U.S so there's no play sand here,I can't find any eco-earth either,i went to the hermit crab pet shop,They do sell sand(feels like normal beach sand) however severely overpriced!It cost $30 per bag($20U.S)N i had to buy 2 bags,it only amounted until 4inches,i feel like going to the beach to collect sand,however i'm afraid of the people telling me off(Apparently some people call it "Stealing",Need tips!Thanks everyone!

YYWW

Re: Getting 30 gallon tank(Substrate issue)

Post by YYWW » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:41 am

Stealing is always wrong.
You can mix your existing sand with stuff from the garden area like organic worm castings and leaf litter. Your concerns would only be pesticides used to treat those products.
The existing sand should be enough to help you get sand castle consistency with the mixed components. I suggest mixing with drinking strength saltwater for your one time initial mix, to help control mold.
Please wait for a more experienced crabber to add input!

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:45 am

YYWW wrote:Stealing is always wrong.
You can mix your existing sand with stuff from the garden area like organic worm castings and leaf litter. Your concerns would only be pesticides used to treat those products.
The existing sand should be enough to help you get sand castle consistency with the mixed components. I suggest mixing with drinking strength saltwater for your one time initial mix, to help control mold.
Please wait for a more experienced crabber to add input!

Crabbers unite!!!
Thanks for the advice,Do i buy the leaf litter from a gardening store?I also heard leaf litter is not a good substrate,what's wrong with using leaf litter?

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:47 am

Maybe try a gardening center for organic coconut fiber/coir? Hardware stores for clean all purpose sand? Definitely check laws before collecting any from the beach.
I don't remember where you're located but hopefully there are a few crabbers on here from the area that can chime in with what they've used.

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:51 am

CallaLily wrote:Maybe try a gardening center for organic coconut fiber/coir? Hardware stores for clean all purpose sand? Definitely check laws before collecting any from the beach.
I don't remember where you're located but hopefully there are a few crabbers on here from the area that can chime in with what they've used.
I'm from Singapore,I'v already been to 6 hardware stores,no luck at all,I haven't checked gardening centers,But i sure will!Thanks for the help

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:08 am

Leaf litter is actually a favorite snack of crabs. Only problem is that due to the moisture it could rot underground. Soil or worm castings might be a better choice, which crabs also love to eat. But i'm not sure how capable worm castings are of holding moisture and caves. My conclusion is that mixing all 3, in varying ratios, SHOULD be a good alternative. But it is up to you to find the right ratio, if possible.
I wish i could send you some stuff. I have extra laying around. But it weighs a lot and Singapore is SOOOO FAR from me.
Maybe just save up to buy more sand in a month if the gardening center doesnt work out.

Btw playsand is for children to use in sandboxes. Maybe if you find kids playing with sandboxes, you can ask around??

Crabbers unite!!!

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:20 pm

Yeah, don't they have sand boxes there??

And really? Getting sand from the beach is stealing?! Never woulda thought of that!

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:29 pm

hermieluv1 wrote: And really? Getting sand from the beach is stealing?! Never woulda thought of that!
Yep. Often there are laws about collecting anything from beaches or other areas in order to protect wildlife. Always check first!

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:18 pm

YYWW wrote: I wish i could send you some stuff. I have extra laying around. But it weighs a lot and Singapore is SOOOO FAR from me.
Maybe just save up to buy more sand in a month Image if the gardening center doesnt work out.

Btw playsand is for children to use in sandboxes. Maybe if you find kids playing with sandboxes, you can ask around??

Crabbers unite!!!
I guess your right,i may have to save up $60 for 2 more bagsImage,yah i'v been searching for sand box sand,But no luck at all...Thanks for the thought!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:12 pm

Is $60 over there the same as $60 US? That's a lot! If it's an option, that's cool! But if not, don't be afraid to try alternates like soil ;3 Good luck!!!

Crabbers unite!!!

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:04 pm

Based on what was said above, it's $40 US. Still crazy!
Crabbzymagnus wrote:It cost $30 per bag($20U.S)

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:08 pm

O right!
Dang! That's expensive sand! Are coconuts cheap in Singapore? Maybe you can harvest your own cocofiber!

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:49 am

YYWW wrote:O right! Image
Dang! That's expensive sand! Are coconuts cheap in Singapore? Maybe you can harvest your own cocofiber! Image

Crabbers unite!!!
I think they aren't cheap either,however i think i'll try to collect some sand from the beach with a big bucket...Image

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:49 am

Ok. Just give them a haircut Image and maybe bake it, low and slow, to clean it? Or if you know it is clean you can place the fiber in the freezer to take care of pests??? I'm pretty stumped! Image

Crabbers unite!!!

ETA:
Interesting info about harvesting cocofiber: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-6/Coir.html
Sounds like quite a feat!!!
Are there nearby countries that you could import from that wouldn't cost so much?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:38 am

Just here to say that I do use illegal beach sand in my crabitat... :oops: My hermies love it though, so whenever going to an unpolluted beach I always bring a small zip-lock bag back for my guys to go nuts over.
Is there any fish shop in your area that sells small gravel - eg less 2mm of gravel? If so, maybe get your substrate from there - if it is cheaper?

If your really stumped and running out of options, then I suggest taking a bag or so home... However, like you mentioned it is illegal but never really noticed anyone in australia enforcing that rule. I am not sure how tough the laws are in Singapore though. :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies