Cave making observation last night!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
hermieluv1

Cave making observation last night!

Post by hermieluv1 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:32 am

My littlest E has been going down lately, then coming back up, etc. Last night, while checking on my attacked molter (who was eating moss by rubbing it between his broken outside leg and his front leg, then eating it!), I heard scratching on glass below ground. I have a finished molter just hanging out down there so thought it was him. I was wrong.

The little E was cave-making, right up against the glass! I had never seen it done, obviously, so was mesmerized! She took a bit of sand with her end claw, then passed it over claw-by-claw, like little shovels in a row, until it reached her shell end. After a few times of sand-moving, she then braced her legs against the opposite "wall" and pushed her shell up against the newly moved pile and wiggled and pushed until it was firmly packed. Then started all over again.

She let me watch for about 15 minutes, then got tired of me watching (like, "Hey, can a girl get a little privacy here?!") And I watched while she covered up the glass in the same way! How fascinating!

YYWW

Re: Cave making observation last night!

Post by YYWW » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:47 am

Lucky! I always wondered how they did their thing. She's getting ready to molt! Hopefully she stays thereabouts and gives you windows when she's coming up.

Crabbers unite!!!