Setting up a New crabitat

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
casssch

Setting up a New crabitat

Post by casssch » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:15 pm

I hope this is the right place for these questions. I'm trying to set up our crabitat before we get the crabs.

Pools - I have read a few posts about these, so I know one fw, one sw. I have 4 small, but good sized containers, 2 for each pool, so there's an extra underneath as I've seen mentioned here. What materials are safe for the bottom? Can I use the glass "rocks"? Would they have to be siliconed (is that the right adhesive?) to the bottom, or could they remain loose? What materials can be used for climbing out? I've seen fish nets (?) and needlepoint canvas as suggestions. Should I put something sturdy in part of the pools so there's a shallow and deep end?

Multi-levels - Are suction cups the only approved method to achieve multiple levels? I'm thinking moss pit and shell shop would both be good as upper levels? Would these things need solid sides, or would sides with holes work? I imagine solid because their legs may get caught in the sides if there are holes?

Can the cheap dollar store bags of decorative shells be used for anything?

I "only" have a month-ish before we can hopefully find some crabbies to get this all set up. :lol:

hermitcrabdc

Re: Setting up a New crabitat

Post by hermitcrabdc » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:35 pm

I've never seen that done with two containers but that's pretty smart!
I can't say for certain but the first thing that came to my head about the glass rocks is they might chip and you wouldn't want a crab eating that. Again can't say for sure, but you can get $1 bags of river rocks at the dollar store or gravel or rocks at the pet store for the bottom of dishes.
If it is aquarium silicone then it's safe for the tank and crabs. Nothing needs to be siliconed to the bottom, it's just an option. It would probably help when it comes to emptying the dishes, not needed, up to you.
A fabric net might start to get nasty in the water unless it's plastic. Needle point canvas is what a lot of people use, however lately I've seen a lot of members use egg crate for larger pools.
It's up to you how shallow you want your pools to get, if you're worried about them not getting in and out easily then you may want to put in a shallower part.

Suction cups aren't the only safe things for attaching second levels. In my tote I drilled holes in the side to attach zip ties to the wood I wanted to be up on the side of the tote. Using silicone to attach it isn't really necessary, plus it will become permanent and you may want to move it some time in the future. There are these platforms that are sold for lizards online called magnaturals they are hung on the side with really strong magnets. Those would work well if you wanted to look into those.
Holes aren't a huge deal, hermit crabs get around really well even with holes, and small spaces, no need to worry.
I think that was everything... Hope I didn't miss anything :)
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
casssch

Post by casssch » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:32 pm

Our tank is a glass aquarium, so drilling holes is out. :( I'll look more into the needlepoint canvas. I haven't seen any plastic egg crate, so that is out. All we get is the paper type crates. Considering I'm not even sure how big/what species our crabbies will be, I want to keep my options as open as possible with the pools. :) I have some baskets that would be perfect for shells and moss then if holes aren't a problem. :)

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:53 pm

Egg crate is a sheet of plastic grid used as light diffusers, and is found at the hardware store in the drop ceiling supplies area, sold in giant sheets. They can be easily broken using a large metal filer.

Crabbers unite!!!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:53 pm

Btw fake plants can be used for crabs to climb in and out of pools.

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
casssch

Post by casssch » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:49 pm

I never thought about putting the fake plants in the pools. I do have a couple that would fit perfectly, but I'm not sure any would work for climbing in and out. They're kind of short and bushy lol.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:07 am

Crabs are very crafty! I made a complex wall+ramp system for my first pools out of needlepoint canvas, and the crabs would always go the hard way and climb out under the ramp, via the smooth wall i dodn't think they could reach, but they sure made the most of what they had!

Crabbers unite!!!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:07 am

YYWW wrote:Crabs are very crafty! I made a complex wall+ramp system for my first pools out of needlepoint canvas, and the crabs would always go the hard way and climb out under the ramp, via the smooth wall Image i dodn't think they could reach, but they sure made the most of what they had! (Just not what i gave to them Image)

Crabbers unite!!!

Crabbers unite!!!

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:59 am

For second level, I silicone L-shaped plastic corner guards to the glass, with holes punched in so I can moved stuff around at will. You have to do it at least a week before the crabs go in. I got so frustrated with suction cups!

In my pools, I have a large aquarium rock in one end, a plant and a plastic canvas ladder at the other, with loose sea shell chips at the bottom. That's in my big tank. Small tank with tiny crabs has pretty much the same.

Mine love plastic dishes from the Dollar tree store with holes all around the sides! That is how they climb in and out!