How many?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
casssch

How many?

Post by casssch » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:23 pm

As it's a two hour drive for us to get crabs, I'm wondering how many we should get. The guy said on the phone they typically only carry quarter-fifty cent piece sized crabs, I'm assuming that's the shell size. They'll be in a 20g tall, but I'll have the ability to upgrade down the road if necessary. My biggest fear is losing some/all to pps and having an empty tank or a lonely crab. But on the flip side, I don't want to over crowd them. I'm thinking 4? I think they carry pp.

megmaholm

Re: How many?

Post by megmaholm » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:41 pm

If they're small, I think 4 PPs would do fine for quite a while in a 20g. :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:07 pm

You could 6 to 8 quarter sized PPs in a 20 gallon tall if upgrading is not a problem as they grow. However, you should be prepared for the possibility that they may all survive, too!

Two hours is extreme! You should keep an eye on your local classifieds as well for hermits. We get adoptions in some really out of the way places, so it does happen. :) Those people are always out of luck, too, because there is no one around wanting to adopt.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
casssch

Post by casssch » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:35 pm

Yeah, I know it's also possible that they may all survive, which is why I don't want it too crowded, but they're technically for my daughter's fifth birthday, so if they all (or mostly) die out, there's a lot of disappointment. It happened a couple years ago with her fish, but I wasn't nearly as prepared as I am no.

I've been looking on local sites as well as the adoption forum on here, and so far nothing near me. I'm in western Nebraska, and to my knowledge the closest shop with crabs is in Cheyenne, WY. Heck, I'm pretty sure that's the closest pet store! We still have a couple weeks before we go get them, so there's still time for an adoption to pop up.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:19 pm

We had a couple adoptions in WY last year, so they do come up occasionally. Keep looking and with luck you'll find some closer by the time you need them! :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram