Please help...

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
MeganM

Please help...

Post by MeganM » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:41 am

Okay guys I am having an issue and I am trying not to stress... Over the past month Hermie has not been moving. I assumed he was active at night as he is the only crab above ground and there was dirt in the water bowl and on the bridge to the shell shop.. so I cleaned those up and since then there is no clue of activity, no dirt, no nothin. He stays in this little rut he made him in his shell at all times. Last night I did one of his favorite things. I boiled the shells and then moved him in the middle of them. I do this in hopes he will change out of his painted one and he usually spends at least an hour climbing over the shells sitting on top of them, being really active. Well l moved him up to the shell shack and he still didn't move. Woke up this morning and he is still in the same spot. The only thing that has kept me from freaking out that he is dead curled up in his shell is that every now and then he will poke the tips of his legs out. Over the past few weeks I have barely touched him as I don't want to stress him. There is no signs of a surface molt, he isn't stocking up on food or water. And actually from what I can see when he pokes his legs out he is gaining a lot of color. He used to be really pale and now his tips are bright orange and red. Temp stays around 84 humidity ranges from 73-higher. I know my humidity could be better but I have tried everything with no success, I do spray regularly to get the humidity 76+ and he still doesn't move. Sub is 6 inches in its lowest spot. 39 gallon tank. Day and night cycle. Deep pools.... This is not normal for him and now its gone on so long i'm worried... Is he just lonely?

Clypeatus

Re: Please help...

Post by Clypeatus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:00 am

When did you get it and what were the conditions that he was living in.
I have five hermit crabs: three Purple Pinchers , one Ecuadorians, and one unknown living in a 20 gallon crabitat.

Crabbing since spring of 2011.

Topic author
MeganM

Post by MeganM » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:04 am

I've had him for almost two months and got him from the mall. Where I got all of my others who are underground molting. His conditions just weren't lol. An inch or two of sand in an open display so no humidity or warmth.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:05 am

There is only two ways a crab will change color - the first is an optical illusion when they get wet or are in a moist environment, since a wet exo looks brighter. The other is from a molt. Once that exo forms it stays the same until their next molt. Are you sure he didn't surface molt? He could have done it in as little as a 3 or 4 days if he was quick about eating his old exo. You may not find any pieces or if you did they may just be tiny tips from his legs and BP.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
MeganM

Post by MeganM » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:21 am

No he was pretty visible the whole time and I didn't see any exo or anything. He has just stayed inside his shell. I have been paying close attention because he did dig himself a small ditch and I was worried about a surface molt. If he is still in the shell shop when I get home I am just going to carefully put him back in his rut): Idk what else to do for him.

Topic author
MeganM

Post by MeganM » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:26 pm

Update on Hermie: so he isnt moving all all. I picked him up and brushed he leg that was slightly sticking out and I saw a tiny bit of movement. So I thou k he is on his last leg): (figure of speech not literal) so I made him an ISO to try and help him get better. It might not have been needed because he is the only one up but I want to do everything I can. Dennis thinks he is no longer with us but I really think I saw a leg twitch. So he has shrimp, honey, and coconut oil, and a mini salt water pool. I covered it with a moist warm rag and out it in the tat. Any thoughts or suggestions? Image

New to crabbing as of 1/3/15. 5 PPs Hermie, Hermione, Poseidon, Odin, and Zenon

YYWW

Please help...

Post by YYWW » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:42 pm

What is he sitting in? It looks too green for moss.

Crabbers unite!!!

ETA: since he's wearing a painted shell, maybe he pinched off a bit and ate it and got poisoned?

Topic author
MeganM

Post by MeganM » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:03 pm

It was moss but I switched it out for some extra sub. I think my moss had dye in it so I tossed it.

New to crabbing as of 1/3/15. 5 PPs Hermie, Hermione, Poseidon, Odin, and Zenon

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:47 am

O, ok. If it were one of mine.... I'd get some good no-dye moss, wash it a bit and get it soaking wet, put a pit of it near the heat source of the main tank, let it warm up real nice and then just put him in it. Get him nice and snuggly and then cover him with something he can easily push off as needed, like a plastic lid.
If he's alive he might just want to be super safe before he moves. If he's dying he can die in comfort and hopefully not be stressed any more. If he's already dead that might help produce a death smell.
Going back to your first post: you said one of his favorite things was for you to boil shells and put him in the middle of them. How did you know they were his favorite?
Where was he when he had not moved for a month?
You cant gey his BP to squeeze anything? I use a toothpick and gently touch the ridges inside the BP, to tickle them into closing. No response?
How much was he poking his legs out when you figured he was still alive?

Crabbers unite!!!