What makes a colony?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Emily

What makes a colony?

Post by Emily » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:31 am

Tank size notwithstanding (let's assume we are in a fairy world where tanks are free and you can get the size you want!), what number do you find is ideal for a functional colony? Is a simple 2-4 crabs enough? Or do you find that having 12+ hermit crabs makes a difference? What are your experiences?

I'm a returning crabber thinking about starting up again. I like to leave lots of room for my crabs, so I am thinking of getting only two this time. I'm curious to see what people think about colony sizes.
Returning crabber. Used to own 7 crabs.
5 PP's and 2 Ruggies. <3

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: What makes a colony?

Post by wodesorel » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:02 am

The longest lived crabs are the ones usually kept in pairs. I personally don't see anything wrong with keeping only two. :) They'll be easier to care for, and there will be less to worry about with a smaller number of crabs. Big colonies are a labor of love, and most of us with a crazy numbers of crabs did it because there was no one else to take in local adoptions, not because we said "we want all these hermits!". Having a huge colony is not for everyone. I also don't think having a massive amount of crabs has much of an effect on the behaviour of the crabs - there's just more of them to watch so they seem to be more active.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Emily

Post by Emily » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:54 am

Hey Wode, can I ask what is the longest you've been able to keep a hermie alive in captivity? I remember that you have excellent husbandry and the pics from your tanks were always top rate.
Returning crabber. Used to own 7 crabs.
5 PP's and 2 Ruggies. <3

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:30 pm

I got Goji - my first hermit crab - in September 2009, and he just went down to molt for the fourth time last month. So long as he comes up again, it'll be 6 years on Labor Day. :) Hannibal we got just a couple of months after Goji, and he's king of the tank right now while Goji is gone. One-Eye we brought home in... 2010? He's still around, too. The biggest crabs in the tank are the ones I can recognize on sight - the smaller ones I have no idea which ones are which so I can't say for sure how long they've been with me, but I'm pretty sure most of my original crew is still here. The crab I have that's been in captivity the longest is one of three that I adopted from an HCA member two years ago, and she had him for 8 years prior to that. There are four more that I adopted a year ago from a somewhat local gentleman who was not an HCA member but who did everything right, and he had them for something like 7 or 8 years.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram