Here's the new crabbies! :D

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
fantasybookworm

Here's the new crabbies! :D

Post by fantasybookworm » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:04 pm

Here's the bigger guy first. He was named Sherman by his previous owners, but I'll probably change it once I can get a chance to check the sex of all three & decide on names. This guy doesn't think much of sitting still & has been on the go for most of the evening, exploring the new tank!

Then there are the two little guys from the other home. I was told this one in the painted shell was more social & he did come out for a close-up right away (sorry for the picture quality - awful cell phone):

Since I put him in, though, he's mostly stuck to hiding under a fake log or underneath the shelves, so I haven't seen much more of him.

I was told his friend was very shy & won't come out. He hid until I dipped him in the freshwater pool (for the introductions, to try & avoid aggression), and then he came out to say hi (and maybe protest the dunk, who knows. :lol:) -

He's such a little cutie!! I'm already in love. :D He's been doing a fair amount of exploring as well -

CallaLily

Re: Here's the new crabbies! :D

Post by CallaLily » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:16 pm

Congrats on the new adoptions! :D

Your substrate looks a little shallow, though it may just be the angle. Make sure it's at least 3x your crabs height or 6 inches, whichever is deeper. Sorry if it's just the angle or if I'm repeating something you already know. :)

Topic author
fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:33 pm

Thank you! :D And no, you're fine! :) I'd rather someone say something if they're not sure. I think it should be okay (though please correct me if I'm wrong) - the tank in the first picture is the previous home of the two little babies, not their new tank (just to clarify). And my tank's substrate is about 7 inches deep when I measured it.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:37 pm

fantasybookworm wrote: - the tank in the first picture is the previous home of the two little babies, not their new tank (just to clarify). And my tank's substrate is about 7 inches deep when I measured it.
Oh! Sorry about that. You sound good to go. :)

Topic author
fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:44 pm

Thank you! :) Also, I know the pictures aren't fantastic (& I have more to add in a bit), but I'm not entirely sure what the best way is to identify what species they are. I'm guessing Purple Pinchers, but I have very little clue what I'm doing, so. :lol: The tiny guy in the painted shell has a pretty dark purple-ish big claw.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:31 pm

I can't see the first crab clearly on my phone but the others are Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:41 pm

I took better pictures of the big guy (first one) on my dad's camera, but need to get them uploaded to the computer. I'm pretty sure he's a PP too, looking at the description. He's a nice deep, bright red & otherwise looks the same as the little guys.

DaTrininator

Post by DaTrininator » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:22 pm

Beautiful crabs and tank :crabbigsmile:
10 Crabs: Herman, Lily, Blue, Andy, Pablo, Schlanpuffa, Zoidberg, Edgar, Ginger, Wasabi