Crabitat - Decorating 2.0

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Asheka

Crabitat - Decorating 2.0

Post by Asheka » Mon May 04, 2015 5:30 pm

So, other than the lid I'll be getting tomorrow and shower caddies I can't seem to find, I have everything for getting my Crabitat set up!
I'm taking a dinner break as my back is screaming at me, and my measurements were off so I'm irritated on having to change everything, so thought I'd start to share my progress!

I mixed the sand and EE in a bucket. Literally 5:1, using a large yogurt container (5 scoops of sand, one scoop of EE). I've got about 8 inches in there now.
Now, the part I've stopped at, putting in my 2.5G tanks. Apparently, I was a quarter inch off to be able to sit them side by side at one end. Even less to have them sitting in each end. I am so annoyed by this because they now have to sit end to end at the front of the tank. I hate how it looks, and it takes up so much more floor space. I even took the black piece off the 35G to try and get them in each end, and literally needs a cm or two. :evil:

Anywhoo, this is how it looks right now.

Yes, I know they're not completely level, but I was so irritated, and my back is killing me, so it's the best I could get them. I may or may not start adding deco etc tonight, but I have to be up early tomorrow for my friend to drive me to Lowe's etc.
Last edited by Asheka on Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz

Topic author
Asheka

Re: Crabitat - Build in Progress

Post by Asheka » Mon May 04, 2015 6:55 pm

So, while my dinner was cooking I said screw it. I had to try and clean up all the sand on the floor anyway, so I popped most of the stuff in the tank how I think I want it. It may not stay this way once I get the plexiglass to set up with the Exo-Terra, but we'll see.

What do you guys think?
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Mon May 04, 2015 8:50 pm

From personal experience I would put the water tanks on the back side of the tank. Unless that skrews up your whole plan. It could get annoying trying to see the crabs through the water.
If your crabs end up being like mine and not using the water much, you may want to down size the dishes later in the future to clear up space.
It looks good so far :)
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
Asheka

Post by Asheka » Mon May 04, 2015 9:00 pm

I had them against the back, but got thinking they shouldn't be because of the UTH? I'd rather them be at the back myself.

I really hope they will use them. I wish they sold 1G glass tanks, cuz I would have gone with that instead. I'm thinking when I have extra money again I'll see if I can find someone who could make them maybe.

Thanks! I will have hemp nets, they should be here in a couple weeks I think. I also have the "lid" from one of the 2.5Gtanks I want to try to make a level with, plus some cholla wood onit's way. So still lots to add and change.

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:21 am

This is just my opinion, so take it as you want....but those pools are way too big for that tank. They will hardly have any room to roam.

How about a couple of Tupperware containers instead? That was they can still have pools they can swim in, and lots of ground to play?

Other than that, it is beautiful! The sub is nice and deep!

Topic author
Asheka

Post by Asheka » Tue May 05, 2015 7:55 am

I'm getting nets and cholla wood and have something to try and make a second level from, so we'll see. If they don't use them much, I'll be looking for someone who can make me 1G tanks.
Thank you though.

Topic author
Asheka

Post by Asheka » Tue May 05, 2015 10:18 am

So, while I'm still irritated, and now considering returning the tanks, I found shower caddies today! :banana: I also found substitute pools. Half gallon containers. They should still be more than deep enough for the air rocks, though the filters I ordered obviously won't heh I suppose I'll keep them for the ever possible tank upgrade :lol:

I got my lid cut to size at Lowe's. Unfortunately, they can't do the interior cutting though. They did tell me it's not hard to cut myself though. Just mark and score it with an exacto knife and it'll eventually "break". My fiance is handy with stuff like that, so when she gets up I'm gunna see if she can.
Unfortunately, this all means I will have to rearrange everything again, and can't get it up and running until the lid is done, but now I also have extra pieces of plexiglass to play with!

Topic author
Asheka

Post by Asheka » Tue May 05, 2015 1:24 pm

New pools and shower caddies are in!

Topic author
Asheka

Post by Asheka » Tue May 05, 2015 3:03 pm

So, should hopefully have the lid done in an hour or two, but here's how it looks with just the lid pieces, and with how I hope it will look once finished (other than decorations), oh and the Ultratherm is on! Nothing plugged in just yet, but ready to go otherwise.

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Tue May 05, 2015 3:56 pm

Looking good so far. I can't wait to see it done.
The pools seem to fit much nicer :)
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
Asheka

Post by Asheka » Tue May 05, 2015 6:53 pm

Thanks! Yeah, I'm still annoyed by the tanks, but oh well. Trial and error, right?

My fiance started cutting the lid for me a few hours ago. Unfortunately, it's a bit more difficult than Lowe's let on and her wrist is bad, so hopefully the frame part will be done tonight to allow the silicone to sit for the week to attach the Exo-Terra.

I'm only working three days this week (vacation days this weekend :banana: ) so I'm hoping I can have it fully functional by then, and pick up some cabbies next week!

Topic author
Asheka

Post by Asheka » Wed May 06, 2015 10:45 pm

So, the lids are still in progress as my fiance is hurting today (she has degenerative discs) but my pieces of cholla wood came in! I have the smaller piece underneath the shower caddies as they're not staying up 100% and the other is propped in front of it, as sort of a ladder.
I also turned on the UTH to get ready for the isopods that are waiting for me at the post office. I was surprised that my gauges read 80% humidity (they both read 4% off) with just the top covered with plastic wrap. The temp was only low 70s, but I thought it was pretty cool the humidity could be that high really on it's own.

Topic author
Asheka

Post by Asheka » Fri May 08, 2015 1:16 am

So, the UTH has been running 24hrs and while the humidity seems to have stabilized around 80% (so really 76%) the temp isn't getting any higher than 75F. Looks like I'm going to have to insulate this weekend. I'll probably hook up the air rocks too, see if it will boost things.

There's been no progress on the lid, but I'm sure it'll be done in the next few days, and I'm now going away next weekend to my mom's so I'd rather wait until I'll be home for the first couple days when they first get home anyway.
I did; however, get my isopods today! (Yes it's 2am, but I'm still awake so same day to me lol) and I put them in the tat. They seem to be chilling. Gunna have to add some strawberry tops or something for them tomorrow. Here's a quick picture of some munching on the cuttlebone. The sub around them is a mix of the coco husk I put in (just on top) at the one end and the sub they arrived in (safe mixture from Canadian Crab Connection).

fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Fri May 08, 2015 7:32 am

Your set up looks awesome so far! The isopods are so cool. I've been considering getting some at some point after seeing so many posts about them on the forum.

NeatHedgehog

Post by NeatHedgehog » Fri May 08, 2015 8:39 am

Looking pretty good.

My only comment is that your mileage on the ceramic huts might vary (they looked a little reflective in the pics, so I'm assuming they're not natural). My crabs had very little interest in them given a choice between hut and lava rock. I think they prefer being up off the ground when they hide for the daylight hours, and being able to latch on wherever they're sitting. They'd usually go over to the hut, try to climb it, slip off, get disgusted, and go climb into crags in the rocks instead. Hollow log or lava rock, or even natural coconut shell, might prove more popular.