New (ish) crab owner w/ a few questions

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Re: New (ish) crab owner w/ a few questions

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:33 am

I detest the yellow plastic ladders Image but it was what I could wrangle up in a pinch from a basket I got from Target a few years ago & don't use anymore.

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 crabs Image

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:52 pm

One of the new dudes checking out the chola superhighway Image he and I startled each other when I took the lid off to move some of the tiny shells into their own shell shop area Image

Nia

Post by Nia » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:54 pm

wow you did a lot :). Looks great! If you don't like the yellow ladders and you have/can get some plastic canvas around that makes great ramps. Mine love it! It is easy for them to go up n down for both the small and bigger ones. Can be cut as wide or thin as you like it depending on the size of the sheet. You can pick which ever color you like or clear. A cheap and easy selection :). We also share the shell shop lol I have the same caddy for theirs in our tat :P. Greens don't last long with my Tasmanian devil Bat girl around lol she tears everything apart, example I made a screen top til I could get one made....Yea um...she shredded it -.-. I had to put the old tanks top over the frame I made. Ugh this girl 0.0 she is a terror lol.

Man I hope HCA doesn't close, I will freak out ><. That is the only place the carries their vitamins -.-. So hope that they don't.
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)

fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:17 pm

It looks fantastic! :D I love the cholla highway. I just ordered some small bits of cholla for a set up I have in mind, but I want to get some bigger pieces eventually for cilmbing fun.

I found the post, Nia, it sounds like they are closing. I'm sorry! viewtopic.php?f=39&t=104150 Better order extra vitamins while you can. Maybe you can find some of them or something close elsewhere?

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:29 pm

Snapped some pics of the crew today and sort of decided on names...

Balla' since I swear this pic makes him look like a little thug with his ball cap on sideways Image

Twitch since he snaps in EVERY time I open the tank lid. No problem once I'm in there but sheesh

Thing 1 & Thing 2 are the two little bitty ones Image

Thing 1 Image

Thing 2 Image will not show himself Image

Fat Boy Slim...he's by far the largest of the bunch.

Will have to wait for the others to reappear Image

Nia

Post by Nia » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:35 pm

NOOOOOOO!!! *CRIES* omg thank you for telling me tho. I will have to bulk up on their vitamins 0.0. Seriously about to cry tho cause they are the only place that sells them. I recommend them to everyone to cause they work so well for mine.

I love your crabs lol so pretty. Esp the blue one omgosh is that one pretty!
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:39 am

So yay!! Lol today saw a shell change and the first visitors to the moss and leaf pits

Guess that's what I get for naming a crab based on the look of his shell...he's the one that changes

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 crabs

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:19 am

So I thought Thing 2 had dug down for a molt but nope! Changed into a new shell that now allows for 2 miles, vs the original 1, between the edge of the shell and claws when pulled in lol

And apparently I'm just THAT scary to him because he was eating and I got up off of the couch, which is 1.5 rooms away and he snapped in so hard he fell backward off the food dish

taylorgirl123

Post by taylorgirl123 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:27 pm

i just got 2 crabs 4 days ago. im scared to hold them what should i do :?:

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:40 pm

Seems most people recommend leaving them to themselves for a while to let them settle into their new place...and maybe to let you not be freaked out

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:41 pm

So it appears that Balla has decided the big kid shell shop is his Image he's been guarding it all day and Thing 2 was just summarily denied access Image

Nia

Post by Nia » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:46 am

Lol yea mine do that to. Hearts has BIG DREAMER syndrome :hlol:. Idk why but she aways picks shells 10x to big for her. She can go into the shells with her shell on and these are the ones she guards :hlol:. She has some serious size issues lol. Herc (who just got done another successful molt ^.^) usually gives her that loving claw nudge into the smaller shell shops direction and she just zooms right back to the Big crab section lol. They can be so funny.

Taylorgirl:
Yea just let them de-stress for awhile. Bringing them home into a new place is very stressful for them. This way you can watch them and you all can get used to each other making less stressful for you all :). If you are nervous to hold them at first just wait until they settle in and you get used to them running around. It takes time to get used to them for some and same for them. They still have to get used to you :).

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:00 pm

So Thing 2 was just determined as heck to get into the big kid shop last night lol

Seems he took an interesting approach...he's the first one I've ever seen eating the chola and Balla watched for a while and apparently decided that was a cool trick. While Balla was busy discovering the joys of a chola snack Thing 2 went under the chola highway and snuck into the shell shop

Nia

Post by Nia » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:36 pm

Thought you might get a kick out of this video! We sure did lol. It is funny to see them shell shop this way. Nice to see, for the most part, that they share so well. http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-bri ... YSYiUapLVQ

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:24 pm

That's so cool! Nature is amazing.