Plastic Shells ??

Archived seashell-specific information.

Topic author

Plastic Shells ??

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:07 pm

I had ordered a small cage kit from Ebay. I thought it would be a good one to use for when I get more crabs and one is going to molt, I would use it. I got is so cheap I could not pass it up because it also came with a lot of other stuff. So I did see the shells that were going to come with it and I had though they would be painted shells and I thought I would just give them to my daughter. But to my surprise there are plastic shell (I really didn't think they made something like that) They are not painted it is just all plastic. So my question is are they harmful?

breezeetew

Plastic Shells ??

Post by breezeetew » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:01 pm

I had thought of getting some plastic shells, but the ones in the store are too expensive for an experiment, so I skipped it.Since it looks that the color is part of the plastic, I think it should be perfectly fine to use, but I have no idea if the crabs would choose to use one. As far as the KK kit goes, I use a large KK for a temporary single crab iso. I cover the slots in the lid with Press and Seal wrap and the humidity stays up just fine with EE in there as a substrate. I have a small heat mat mounted on the back as well, so it is perfect for one crab that has to be isoed for streaking or something temporary. Space is limited, so I wouldn't suggest it for permanant home, but I don't think your post sounds like you were thinking permanant anyway.Anyway, congrats on a good deal on Ebay. I have gotten a lot of good deals that come with a KK (good shell storage or temporary iso) as part of the deal. I would be very interested to know if the crabs go for the plastic shells as I think they would be a great alternative to depleting the natural supplies of beach shells.
I have had hermit crabs for a couple of years and still have most of my originals. I joined LHC over a year ago and have learned a lot about crab care there. I have about 50 crabs (PP, Straw and E) in my 130 gallon tank that is a feature point of my living room.
Mother of 4 humans, one canine, 3 felines and many aquarium dwellers.

Topic author

Plastic Shells ??

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:18 am

I decide to do a search on plastic shells to see what I would find. I thought this was interesting:http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/13/demaray.php

Topic author

Plastic Shells ??

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:31 pm

I read that article before. I personally dislike those plastic "shells". Anyway, natural shells are way prettier! I know that people are always taking the natural hermit crab shells, but I remember in old LHC, someone said if we donated some shells back to the beach and talk people into not taking the shells from the beach, the wild hermies would have many beautiful shells to choose from... Jedediah, those crabs in the can and in the coconut shell, they look creepy in a way...

Topic author
tnyfootprntz

Plastic Shells ??

Post by tnyfootprntz » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:31 pm

Aawww! I love the picture of the babies. I would never have seen any that teeny. Thanks for posting it.Those plastic shells leave so much to be desired. I can't imagine them protecting crabs from birds or other animals. And the idea of hermit crabs being used for advertising! How trashy would that look with corporate logos crawling around all over the place? Not something I'd want to see while strolling on the beach.

Topic author
SeaShellE

Plastic Shells ??

Post by SeaShellE » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:31 pm

I have never seen any of my crabs grasping their shell to move around from place to place. They usually climb my hand with both claws clasped gently(ocassionaly) to my skin.

Topic author

Plastic Shells ??

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:31 pm

quote:Originally posted by SeaShellE:I have never seen any of my crabs grasping their shell to move around from place to place. that part stood out to me as well, they have shell legs to grasp the shell. The idea is a good one but I don't think those plastic things are suitable. There is no spiral that they can use their shell legs to grip and I can't see it being great for carrying around water either. I doubt many crabs would even look at them unless in SERIOUS need. plus the opening is square and they retract into a round shape...anywho, i like the idea of creating synthetic shells but I think more work needs to be put in to make them as 'ideal' as she is saying they are...Well thats my rant...