San...............................................

Where to post about the loss of your beloved pet hermit crabs. Replies are not permitted in this forum; please PM a member with your condolences for his or her loss.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:29 pm

San died for unknown reasons on February 21, 2003. I'de had her for nine years.San's death was unusually hard to cope with. She was a loyal friend, and an almost constant companion. All day every day, San would sit in the little hollow at the back of my nech, or twirl around in my hair until she had made a bird nest out of it. She would crawl on my hand and hug my finger as I did daily things- and she was always there. San was a great listener (silly as that seems). She would gaze at me, hugging my finger, while I would spill my guts to her. If you put her on the table between me and my mom, she would always come to me. She slept in my pocket, rode on my head as we traversed the PetCos and PETSmART, and occasionally ate her FMR treat at the dinnertable with me in her little pen. The 55 gallon was her gift, and she was the queen. Her spot was on the Arch I made with grapevine above the tank, and all the hermies slept under San's Arch. Truly, she was.............. human. San decided to molt in December, and miss Christmas. She missed the new turbos, the new food and water dishes, and new hut. But that didn't bother me. I knew there would be other Christmases........ She made it through the molt perfectly. I watched as she broke the surface of the ISO, and I remember how happy and proud I felt. She was three weeks recovering in ISO, and she was moved to the main tank. She was fine, moving every night, acting like a normal crab. But something was wrong. On thursday, as I was leaving for science, I checked the crabitat. San was sleeping in the middle of the crabitat, but I brushed that aside as just being wierd crab behavier. When I came back, she was half- way out of her shell. Her shell was in the same position, put she was lying on her side, her head sticking out from onder the shell in a way no shelled crab could have done. I saw her twitch her feelers, I gave her a bath in SC and put her in ISO. On Friday, she died in my hands. I woke up in the middle of the night and went to check on San. Her feelers wiggles once, twice against my cheek, and she was gone. My baby San, Forever San, the Queen San. My friend and companion. Gone.On Sunday I buried her in the garden, in a special corner. Come Spring, I will plant forget- me- nots on her grave, and I will mourn the loss of a true friend. She is and will always be in my heart. Goodbye, San.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:09 am

Laralla, San sounds like a very sweet, very loved crab. You provided him a good home for a long time. ((hugs))

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:32 am

Well, it seems to be an old thread (San's died in February). However, it was good putting it up! What a nice and sad story!In fact, from what I've read here, isn't it San's death which lead to the construction of this forum "In memory of San"? The dates and the names match... Well, I'm sure that San deserved this honnor since she was such a terrific (and tough!) crab!