Is an isolation tank necessary?

Where to post if you have questions or concerns about your Isolation Tank ("ISO").

Topic author
CandyBolts™

Post by CandyBolts™ » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:58 pm

I've only just recently gotten my hermit crabs. And the more I read about them to make sure I can do my best to care for them, the more I hear people saying that I should have an isolation tank for various things. We're not exactly the highest income family and I have to depend on money from my parents so I won't be able to get an isolation tank right away- do I need one immediately at all times? Or is it safe for me to wait a little while?Or, is it possible for your crabs to live happily and fine without an isolation tank at all? And while we're on the subject, what makes an adequate isolation tank? I'm assuming it doesn't have to have all the regulations and size of the regular crabitat, does it? What should I look for when looking for a good isolation tank?
Call me J C:
Beginner, 2 PP's for right now.

finalfantasyxii

Post by finalfantasyxii » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:22 pm

Instructions on making a 10 gal iso:http://landhermitcrabs.com/eve...5101988/m/1201086752I would say it's a good idea to have a 10 gal tank on hand for emergencies but not a dire necessity. I've only ever had to iso crabs because they were new (knock on wood).
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy
http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/s432/herder79/

jgfceit

Post by jgfceit » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:52 pm

Actually, a small plastic Kritter Keeper would be perfect, since it only houses one crab at a time Mine is about 5 gallons.
My Website (Check it out!):
My Point(s) Of View
Three PP's: Sporta and Curiosity

finalfantasyxii

Post by finalfantasyxii » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:10 pm

But a kritter keeper will only be ok if you can keep the humidity and temp correct. I have heard of people just putting the kritter keeper in the bigger tank so they don't have to worry about the conditions! I guess the size of your crabs determines the size of the iso since they will need to be able to bury.
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy
http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/s432/herder79/

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:52 pm

An isolation tank is a must and must mimic the main tank in temp, humidity, substrate depth and consistency, think of it as a small version of the main tank for new purchases, sick or molting crabs.You can get away with not having an iso for a little while but it's highly recommended and very beneficial to have one on hand ready to go at all times.KK's or Kritter Keepers do not make good iso tanks because you can not control the temp or humidity in them unless you put in them in the main tank which completely destroys the reason for having the iso in the first place.Think of it like this lets say you purchase a couple crabs and they have mites and you didn't know it so you isolate them only to find the mite a few days later, by putting the iso in the main tank your allowing the mites full access to the establish cast(group)thereby defeating the purpose of having the iso in the first place.Your not just isoing the new crab/s to allow for it/them time to molt, de-stress and recover from any illness your also isoing the new crabs to protect your established cast from anything the new crabs may be carrying both externally and internally.With any new purchase that crab needs to be isolated for a minimum of one month to allow it to de-stress, molt if need be and to allow any illness or pests to present themselves for possible treatment.Isoing new crabs drastically increases their odds of living a long and healthy life.You need a minimum tank size of ten gallons for an iso you can get ten gallon tanks by themselves at places Wal-mart for around $13.00, you can get mesh screen lids for around $10.00, you can use a $3.00 50lb bag of regular play sand for substrate, the water and food dishes can be anything from plastic peanut butter jar lids to small tupperware containers, for heat you'll need a UTH pad rated for a 30gallon tank these are usually around $25.00 at most large chain pet stores, you'll need to cover the lid to the tank and you can use Glads Press N Seal which costs about $3.00 for a roll and you'll need one dual gauge for heat and humidity for around $15.00.Total for everything excluded the dishes which I'm sure you have something laying around in the kitchen you can use your looking at $75 +/- $2.00 including taxes to get a ten gallon iso up and running.I understand what it's like to be dependent on other people as I'm legally blind, live with my parents and am unemployed due to disability which I'm currently seeking benefits for so don't feel pressured into trying to hurry to get your iso together you can put it together as you can when you can it's just important to have one at some point.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.