I hope I didnt mess up...:-(

Where to post and/or get advice about your molting hermit crab(s). Includes pre-molting, molting, and post-molting issues.

Topic author
EricByers

Post by EricByers » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:48 am

My crab Lilly has just molted.I didn't know she had and thought she was dead. I picked her up and tapped out (what I thought was her) but it was just exo. I placed her alone into a isolation tank and covered her a bit with sand. I put fresh water and food in the dishes and sprayed saltwater over thee sand. My question is, Will she be ok?

Topic author
EricByers

Post by EricByers » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Can some one please tell me what I should do?!?

Theodora

Post by Theodora » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:19 pm

Um.... did you keep the Eco with her?

JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

Post by JediMasterThrash » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:27 am

As theodora mentioned, the crab must eat their exo when they are done molting or they will not harden properly. They also are unable to move around for a couple weeks so the exo must be placed directly under them for direct access without having to move their shell much.
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:50 am

And you should uncover the crab's body. They can't survive in man made holes. Try to keep the tank dark.
6 Purple Pinchers: Two E's.
Demon, Cabela's Gimli
San Fransisco Gandalf
Coconut, Stitch
King Kong Junior

JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

Post by JediMasterThrash » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:00 pm

I usually just make a sand "pit". As long as it's moist the walls will hold. Gives them a simulation of their molting cave without worrying about packing them in.
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Sorry i meant to say man made cave not hole.
6 Purple Pinchers: Two E's.
Demon, Cabela's Gimli
San Fransisco Gandalf
Coconut, Stitch
King Kong Junior

Topic author
EricByers

Post by EricByers » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:40 pm

I placed the exo in her food dish and found her in the food dish this morning. She moved, do I just leave her there and keep ISO dark?

dylan644

Post by dylan644 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:20 pm

Yes, dark, warm and humid. Other than that there is nothing else you can do at the time. She should have her exo done with exception of leg tips and claws by the end of the week. She will then proceed to harden. She may dig back down for a few weeks and then come back up. When she is up wanting food/water and wondering around the tank go ahead and add her back.

Topic author
EricByers

Post by EricByers » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:17 pm

Lilly is a shy girl, the smallest bump or movement and phew back inside she goes lol. She came out in the ISO and was walking around most of water was gone and all except claw and a leg is gone of exo, she seems more...brave. But still skiddish, her molted only took about 2 weeks if that, is that normal? Well she seems hard and normal so I have added her back to population. Only three others, BB being our biggest and most out going. She won't even go into her shell when you pick her up, rather she looks as if she might slip out of her shell completely. I place my hand under her when I pick her up for fear of this very thing. I only own BB and Lilly the other two I am sitting for a friend but they seem just as skiddish as Lilly. Do you think they fear BB as she is much bigger?? Any way thank all of you who helped me through my first molt, and Lilly thanks you too :-)

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:03 am

The bigger crabs get, the molts will take longer to complete and the 'quick molting' will be a thing of the past. Mine take an average of 5-6 weeks under now and they're golf ball-sized.Crabs normally don't fear other crabs due to size. I had a jumbo and I remember the baby crabs climbing on her. I think new crabs in general are skittish no matter what, give them a couple of months with no handling and see if they calm down.
~ crabbing since 2003