Looking for opinions on Repti-Fogger by Zoo-Med.

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:25 am

I'm looking to purchase one of these units have been doing quite a bit of research and was able to find to helpful and interesting information but also came across several negative reviews based on the rate of failure with the internal parts of the unit.A few of the bad reviews were about how the unit builds up hard water deposits and calcium inside itself and basically stops running within two months of purchase.I'm doing my first ever poll on this site please if you have ever owned one of these units please take a moment to take the poll and leave a description of any problems you may have encountered with it and how long you owned or still own it.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Keg

Post by Keg » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:38 am

Crabber85 I've never bought this unit, but I guarantee it will clog up with hard water deposits because everything does.I have a nice honeywell humidifier designed for humans. I have to change the element every three months or so because it clogs with minerals. And I'm using bottled water.When I want to raise the room humidity a couple of more degrees, I boil some water. After about three bottles of water, the remaining water is cloudy with lime and at the end of the cold season, the pot is completely encrusted with minerals.The showerhead lasts a bit longer, but the minerals take a toll on them.Anything that uses water will degrade this way. I suspect humidifiers release the minerals faster.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flkPXe5TlcMHere's an interesting comment from this reptifogger review:"I've heard of people actually getting a new fan for this since that's what goes to crap when you don't use the proper water. Besides that stop filling it up with non-distilled water and it would probably last longer than 6 months. I've seen everywhere it says specifically to use distilled water for this otherwise it won't last as long."Crabber85That's probably true if the distilled water removes the lime.http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-...t-revi ... 19IJXD2The Amazon reviews hint at the same thing; A short lifespan, but they probably aren't using distilled water.Is distilled water fogging healthy for the crab?

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:36 am

@Keg, true distilled water is as pure as it gets but to do this you'd need to actually boil the water and have a way to catch the water vapor and collect it as it escapes from the pot this is a process also known as vapor distilling and the final product is so pure that you can use it to turn ocean water into pure fresh water as there is nothing left in the water.Just simply letting tap water stand out for twenty four to forty eight hours to let the chlorine evaporate is what most people think about when they hear the term distilled but this isn't true distilling because as we all know the heavy metals, chloramine and other heavy contaminants don't get evaporated out and are left behind which kind of ends up with the water being pretty toxic.Vapor distilling can be accomplished using a boiling pot on a stove top and a capturing apparatus over the pot.I've decided not to go with a fogging unit for obvious reasons.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Keg

Post by Keg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:16 pm

I just learned something.I was using a Honeywell humidifier which cost about $35 at Ace hardware. It has been getting louder over time. Now it's hard to hear anything over the roar. So expect that to last a year or so, unless you wan to push it.Well,now I've got a Sunbeam ultrasonic for about the same cost. It is whisper quiet and I can see the little fog spouting out of it. That makes it easy to aim the stream into the tank and it brings the humidity right up. Unlike the Honeywell, this doesn't come with a filter element, so I suspect it will have problems with lime buildup eventually.After a few minutes, the humidity is good, but I'm not sure if the crab likes it. She is not standing in front of the mist. I think it might be a bit much for her modified gills to process. The Sunbeam has an adjustable opening but only one speed. So I'll have to try aiming it indirectly at the crabitat.***Azazul was more active than usual. I wasn't certain if it was due to better respiration or distress. So I made a tent out of a paper towel and she went under it, rather than increase exposure to the mist. When she headed under the reptile cave, I turned the mist off. Maybe if I move it back a few feet, that will be gentle enough.****Another thing about the ultrasonic, it seems to have a heating element, so the mist gets thicker as it heats up. This make it difficult to regulate. Also, there is a puddle, I assume it is from condensation, which I don't get from the swamp cooler style humidifier because it is cooler.When I use the Swamp cooler thing, Azazul rests right in front of the airflow. But when I turn on the ultrasound mist (by itself or in parallel to the swamp cooler) Azazul wakes up and gets active. I'll keep it on standby for humidity emergencies, but I don't think she likes it.*****It is difficult to interpret whether a crab "likes" something. Again, Azazul gets active when I turn on the fogger. She even eats more. But she winds up in the reptile cave for the second time. I'm pretty sure the fog irritates or is too much for her. It's a shame because it really brings the humidity up and it lasts a long time. Seriously... Azazul is giving me looks. I'll be in the doghouse if I use it again.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:44 pm

You can actually remove limescale and hard water deposits with a mild vinegar and water mix three parts vinegar to one part water, the acid in the vinegar literally eats the limescale, calcium and other nasties that get left behind from tap water.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Keg

Post by Keg » Fri May 15, 2015 4:18 am

I'd like to update on the performance and interaction of the Sunbeam ultrasonic.At first, Azazul hated it and hid from the fog it produced. She did that two or three times. But I kept trying to introduce the fog in increasingly fainter amounts now and then, because it really does bring up the humidity. If we get a very dry day this summer (in Arizona), it could be a life saver because Azazul might need more humidity now then when she was younger.Anyway, I was using the blast of air from the "swamp cooler" humidifier to disperse the fog and moved the mister farther away. Eventually Azazul tolerated it by facing in the opposite direction. Now, for the last few days she is facing directly into the effects of both the honeywell humidifier and the Sunbeam ultrasonic.I try not to run them both all the time. For instance, the sky is hazy outside today and the humidity doesn't need much augmentation, other than the honeywell. I note that the swamp cooler doesn't use as much water on humid days.As far as the calcium issues, I think the humidifiers are slowly covering everything in my room with calcium dust. Or maybe it's just regular dust, I dunno. The sunbeam is holding up OK. I don't actually see where any calcium would build up in there... Although I don't know how it makes the mist. I should look that up. I would like to note that the honeywell alone can use almost a case of bottled water a day. At roughly $3, that can run in the range of $1000 a year. Probably even more with both machines running. I DID try tap water in there and Azazul freaked out. So don't do that.This whole setup is kind of necessary for Azazul's survival because I keep the top off of her crabitat. If I even put a screen lid on, it raises the temperature and Azazul will climb on the screen and rattle it unpleasantly for hours to show her displeasure. She wants to sit on a branch near the top of the crabitat, seemingly at the humidity of the room, which is really really dry in Arizona. She's been doing that for years now. I probably benefit personally from the effects of the increased humidity since my nasal passages no doubt function better at trapping germs if they are moist. But I can't honestly discern any difference.

jenok

Post by jenok » Fri May 15, 2015 5:13 am

What about using gallon water jugs instead. Or when you used the tap did you add the dechlorinator stuff or just straight tap water?

Topic author
Keg

Post by Keg » Sat May 16, 2015 6:30 am

It was straight tap water. I should have let it sit.It only ran for a minute.Gallon jugs, good idea.

jenok

Post by jenok » Sat May 16, 2015 8:42 am

If I were you I think I'd try the ap water again only let it set overnight or put the dechlorinator stuff in it to see if that makes a difference. That would save you a lot of money.

Topic author
Keg

Post by Keg » Sun May 17, 2015 10:25 am

thanks, will try.

** Nonna**

Post by ** Nonna** » Mon May 18, 2015 12:34 pm

Hey Crabber,I've been using the Repti Fogger for a few years now and even I have mixed reviews! You are correct that the calcium buildup is a problem; in fact exactly as you described in your post. The other issues you state I've also experienced. I've bought and returned, bought and returned, bought and kept/ When I get a good one it will last 2-3 years.I did speak with a rep from Pet Smart and she advised to use distilled water only to avoid the build up. I have well water with no additives but she stated the distilled would be better than my water so I'm trying that and I also now clean out the interior once a month with a vinegar wash to get rid of any build up. I also will continue to purchase from either Pet Smart or Petco due to their awesome and easy exchange policy of 'no questions asked'. It's a lot easier than returning something purchased online. Best of luck!Nonna
In a years time and my 2nd childhood with Hermit Crabs, I now have 23 Hermies!! Purple Pinchers, Indos, Violas, Blueberry's, E's and one lone Strawberry!

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:56 am

@ **Nonna**, thanks for the info, I'd already decided against getting one of these units months ago because of several factors including their overall failure rate they just seem like a costly investment to me.Since posting originally I've moved my hermitcrabs back into their old forty gallon breeder tank because the one-twenty was just to much hassle trying to keep the humidity stable and being able to get into it even with a step ladder.lolMy new rescue Guinea Pig male Harley is now using the one-twenty has his new home.
#Autism Speaks.

** Nonna**

Post by ** Nonna** » Tue May 19, 2015 1:29 pm

Ha! I've had a 75gal for my crew for a couple of years. Then being on VACA in the Outerbanks, NC, my daughter and grand kids decided to get Nonna even more crabbies! (I currently have 20) A couple of the new crew are large and the rest small and they're current;y in a 30gal. My big decision is separating the large guys from the s/m.My big guys will have a lot more run to bury and molt and won't be running into the "furniture" anymore. The little guys will have plenty of room in the 30gal. Now that I have 27 crab babies it seems like a plan for me. Let us know what you've decided to go with in your 40 and best of luck!
In a years time and my 2nd childhood with Hermit Crabs, I now have 23 Hermies!! Purple Pinchers, Indos, Violas, Blueberry's, E's and one lone Strawberry!

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Wed May 20, 2015 1:53 pm

@ **Nonna**, I'm running two diy bubble pools using one air pump that has two outputs on it, its made by Aqua Culture and is supposed to be used on aquariums up to sixty gallons so it produces about triple the amount of air I need which has kept the humidity levels on both ends of the forty gallon running at eighty percent constantly.I have found that if you want to get stable long term results out of an aquarium air pump then you need to choose a pump that is rated for use in an aquarium that is a least three times the size of the enclosure you are using so for a twenty gallon tank you would want an air pump that is rated to handle a minimum of forty gallons.Another tip is to try to purchase the more expensive brand as the cheaper brands typically use cheaper rubber diaphragms to produce and drive the air into the tank and since the diaphragm is the part that gets worked the hardest it will be the part to wear out the fastest and the cheaper/weaker the material the quicker it will fail.I have three different air pumps which are from three different brands Pen Plax, Whisper and Aqua Culture.The Pen Plax air pump was bought back in 98' and still runs like a charm it came with one of those sponge filter kits sold for use in small tanks and was use on two different beta tanks because it didn't produce too much flow it was perfect for that type of setup but it didn't work to well for producing enough bubbles in a bubble pool, it is only rated for tanks up to ten gallons.The Whisper was also purchased as part of a filter combo, it came with the smallest Whisper internal filter kit they make and is only rated for up to five gallons, the diaphragm in it is not large enough to drive a great amount of air so it was also of little to no use for producing enough bubbles in a bubble pool.This is why I went on ahead and purchased the Aqua Culture 20-60 gallon air pump it was thirty dollars the other two pumps were around ten in the combo packs they came in but regularly retail for five dollars on their own.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Keg

Post by Keg » Fri May 29, 2015 5:08 pm

Update.The Sunbeam ultrasonic I got 3 months ago stopped working. The manual says that the water sensor has to be cleaned periodically, but I haven't had any luck getting it restarted. I looked online and this has happened to other people.The ambient humidity was 9% outdoors, so I can't really do without it. My other Honeywell humidifier doesn't seem quite up to the task by itself. I went to super Walmart and the only comparable one they had was a Vicks cool mist humidifier for about $36, so I got it.The Vicks seems to have the same sort of mechanisms inside, as if it was built by the same manufacturer or uses the same patent. But the Vicks has better design of its plastic and electronics. This allows better direction of the mist and far better control over the density of the mist.***I would add, that before I got the first humidifier, My crab was occasionally passing out and falling from the branch where she prefers to perch. That hasn't happened since.Also, lately I've placed a lamp near the crabitat. I turn it on in the mornings. It seems to signal that the day has started and the crab becomes more active. Azazul will often turn to face the glare, seemingly preferring that direction over facing into to the breeze of the humidifiers, which she usually does. There is also a special light designed for crabs that I got at the petstore. Azazul seems to like that light even more than a regular florescent bulb. But I am a little leary of what it might do to human eyes. Until I do some more research, I will only turn that one o when I'm going outside. Seriously, that's why people are advised to wear sunglasses outside... The UV is not good for human eyes.