Infected Claw

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Escape

Infected Claw

Post by Escape » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:19 am

I think Cutie Pie's claw is becoming infected. Either that, or it is dying (the claw, not the crab). It is starting to turn brown on the tip (both the movable part and the stationary part wit the injury) and to me, it just does not look right. I saw that there is a soak that I can make up for her. Is this recommended, or is there something else I can do? I do not want to loose her because of this. If she was a mammal, I would just put Neosporin on her, but I am pretty sure that is not safe for her.
--
My crab babies: (Es): Badoos, Ryuunosuke (Ryuu), and Spot. (PPs): Cutie Pie, Hermes, Mike, Rose, Russell, Scuttles, Steve, Toothless, and Zeus. 14 rescues either in recovery or ready to adopt - All PP.
RIP: "2005", Love River, Butch, Yumayie, Mini-Me, Bob, Pinky (and) The Brain, Palm Guy, and Nico.
In memorium: Rescues who just did not make it

Crabby Abby

Infected Claw

Post by Crabby Abby » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:12 am

Hermits bleed blue and what you're seeing could be something akin to scabbing over. You can mix up some double strength salt water and wash the wound gently with a q-tip. I can't say it's an infection but I can't rule it out either so if you can make up the soak recipe (is it the one that Vicki sells?) it certainly wouldn't hurt.Is the claw functional? Does she use it to walk, eat or dip to drink? Do make sure that your salt water dish is deep enough to soak it if she wishes. If it's bad enough she will likely just drop the limb. I really have no experience with infections but let me check around the library for more info.
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

** Nonna**

Infected Claw

Post by ** Nonna** » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:21 am

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your crabs claw. After I complained about FMR (see post), I remembered that they do have a recipe for tetracycline for illness, injury. It seems a relatively simple formula that can be purchased to make at home and you can purchase the capsules from Pet Smart in the fish location. Best of luck with your little guy!
In a years time and my 2nd childhood with Hermit Crabs, I now have 23 Hermies!! Purple Pinchers, Indos, Violas, Blueberry's, E's and one lone Strawberry!

Escape

Infected Claw

Post by Escape » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:40 am

Thanks both of you.CA - Yes that is the recipe I am thinking of. It said to only use it for the injury/illness specified, so I wasn't sure if it was risky to use it. I am not sure if she is using the claw or not (and I had no idea that they bled blue), but she was using it earlier. I just don't want the infection (if there is one) to spread to her body. The water dish I am using is deep enough for her to soak her claw in. I am not sure if she is doing it though. Nonna - Thanks. I know not all bad places are all bad, but FMR did used to be good at one point in time. If I remember correctly, it was discovered that their foods had harmful substances in them, and they ignored people's complaints. It all went downhill from there. Because of that, it makes me leery to try anything they say. I am not sure if crabs can use tetracycline. If they can, I would use it in a heartbeat.
--
My crab babies: (Es): Badoos, Ryuunosuke (Ryuu), and Spot. (PPs): Cutie Pie, Hermes, Mike, Rose, Russell, Scuttles, Steve, Toothless, and Zeus. 14 rescues either in recovery or ready to adopt - All PP.
RIP: "2005", Love River, Butch, Yumayie, Mini-Me, Bob, Pinky (and) The Brain, Palm Guy, and Nico.

Crabby Abby

Infected Claw

Post by Crabby Abby » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:48 am

We have an old thread in the admin forum discussing FMR and Christa didn't support the safety of tetracycline for hermit crabs. I trust her experience and judgment myself.
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

Nicole

Infected Claw

Post by Nicole » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:02 am

Can you take a pic of the claw?
~ crabbing since 2003

Escape

Infected Claw

Post by Escape » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:03 am

I was thinking that the top part of her pincher was turning color, but looking back, it still looks the same. Here is a then vs now pic to compare though. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/ ... aw.jpg/IMG] And I Will keep the tetracycline thing in my mind. Do not want to do anything to hurt them.edit: And I do not think she is using the claw now. She didn't do anything with it when I cleaned it off. Either she is really docile, or she has lost its use.
--

Nicole

Infected Claw

Post by Nicole » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:09 am

I would also highly recommend not using tetracycline. Try the concentrated salt water now and see what happens. Somewhere in my house, I have a recipe from the Crab Care book for a tea that helps crabs with infections - I am at work right now but can look and PM you tonight if you like.Did this happen post-molt by chance?
~ crabbing since 2003

Escape

Infected Claw

Post by Escape » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:15 am

Nicole - this was a shell fight, and I do believe she was probably a few days post molt. I have the instigator in ISO (both of them) and am feeding them in intense diet. In the mean time, Hermes (above) is all alone recuperating. I feel badly for her.I did just clean her with the salt water treatment, and I will see how she is in a few hours. I do have a recipe, but I am not sure if it is the one you are talking about. Here it is:http://crabstreetjournal.com/x...icle.php?storyid=148If it is the right one, I am going to go out today and get the needed herbs. At least I am a big natural tea drinker so I do have some of the loose flowers myself (just not the ones for this) and the equipment to steep them. Thanks.Arg. I just realized that I have been calling Cutie Pie, Hermes. Oh well. Not going back to edit (Hermes is the surface molter).
--

Nicole

Infected Claw

Post by Nicole » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:09 am

Yes that is the correct recipe - good luck with her!
~ crabbing since 2003

Keg

Infected Claw

Post by Keg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:33 am

quote:Originally posted by Escape:Nicole - this was a shell fight ?So in the process of a shell fight, the other crab grabbed/attacked cutie's BP? But only managed to crack the exoskeleton?Darn... She can't repair the exo until she molts right? It might have been healthier to lose the BP and grow a new one. Who knows what consequences this will have.

Escape

Infected Claw

Post by Escape » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:06 am

quote:Originally posted by Keg:quote:Originally posted by Escape:Nicole - this was a shell fight ?So in the process of a shell fight, the other crab grabbed/attacked cutie's BP? But only managed to crack the exoskeleton?Darn... She can't repair the exo until she molts right? It might have been healthier to lose the BP and grow a new one. Who knows what consequences this will have. Not only cracked the exo, but ripped a chunk off as well. If you look closely, the bottom part of the pincher undercuts the top. She also lost a walking leg. She is very lucky, but she is growing brown on her other walking legs and that brown I thought I saw, is there. The part of the claw with the black nail looks like it is withering and is turning brown... just on the very tip (maybe just a mm). I am making the decoction now. It smells really nice (the myrrh). It will probably be two hours before I can give it to her though. I have to let it cool first. I am very worried for her. She is my youngest's favorite crab, and it is not looking good. Hopefully this bath will help.
--

Rachel Lillie

Infected Claw

Post by Rachel Lillie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:09 am

Escape I feel for you, I wish I knew how to help you but I do not. But I am sending all my good crabby (((vibes))) to you and your favorite crab. Best of luck!

Escape

Infected Claw

Post by Escape » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:39 am

Nicole - I have made the mixture as the second set of instructions has stated, although I did add the marshmallow root as well. About half of it evaporated away as it was steeping though. I was wondering if I should add an equal amount of decholrinated water to it to make sure it is not too strong? I doubled the recipe (made two batches), so I originally had 4 cups of water, but only have 2 in my container. Do you (or does anyone else) think it is too strong? Should I dilute it?
--

luvmyhermies

Infected Claw

Post by luvmyhermies » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:48 am

to me the claw doesnt looked infected. if you have ever seen a crab just as it pops out of its exo then you know what i mean. a bright red fresh exo. i think that just needs to harden and molt again. once the crab molt it will have a beautifully colored claw.