Anbody heard from crabber85 in the last week?

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author
jenok

Post by jenok » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:59 am

I haven't seen any post from him, starting to get a little worried. Did he get to go on his little mini vacation? Or not feeling well? Or just lurking in the shadows waiting to pounce?

Keg

Post by Keg » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:51 am

Don't know; He only left that one clue. Yes, there is a disturbance in the force now that you mention it.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:35 pm

I've had a lot on my plate and had to take some time off and from here on out I may be hit and miss because things are getting worse on the home-front my mother is loosing days on her paychecks now and we aren't clearing enough to make all the bills, if it weren't for my sister we would have been homeless months ago.I appreciate the concern its nice to know someone out there is as folks close to home just don't seem to care anymore...
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
jenok

Post by jenok » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:09 am

That's bad news but at least you wasn't in the hospital or something like I was afraid of. Hopefully it gets better soon.I hope someone else can step up to the plate for a while cuz after the end of the month I won't be on for a couple months. It seems like its just been keg and myself the last week or so. Someone has to keep this place going.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:07 pm

@jenok, we really need some of our older members on here to help out but unfortunately our numbers contrary to what our counter shows is only about a twenty strong the rest of the thousand or so members we have registered with us either don't come on anymore or are part timers and just pop in every few months or so.I know I need to be on here more regularly but like I said I've got a lot going on with my personal life, I'm still looking for a job while I wait to see if anything is going to happen with my social security situation.My lawyer told me to be looking for a job that way they at least have it in my records that I've been applying but keep getting turned down or denied based on my disabilities apparently the more jobs I get refused on the better my chances of getting the judge to give me a break but that is what is taking so long there are only ten judges who handle this kind of case for my entire state so they travel and you have to wait for an opening to become available on their calendars when and if they come to your city or town, the paperwork to get on a judges calendar has already been done and submitted over two months ago and from what my legal council says it could be another six months or even six years down the road before I get my day in court.I've been receiving phone calls from my lawyers office every two weeks or so just so they can let me know they are still there and still working on my case and to get any updates on my job searches and if I've received any medical attention for my conditions.Unfortunately I have not been able to obtain medical help but I do have about fifty applications from three months worth of looking and putting in that all turned out to be dead ends because of either my vision or autism so those have all gone into my file as potential proof for the judge.I'm going to send you a PM to kind of explain some things that are going on with the forum I'll go into more detail there.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
jenok

Post by jenok » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:29 am

Yeah even laurie is usually on but I haven't seen any post from her in about 2 weeks I think.It seems like this time last year it also was like a ghost town, must be something to do with summer. I may try to pop in every now and then but it won't be regularly like this month until sometime in August since i'll be taking off for the baby soon.It sounds like you've got a good lawyer since they keep checking with you. Hopefully you get in soon to see the judge and only have to see him/her once my hubby had to 2 or 3 times but his conditions aren't as obvious as yours seem to be.

Keg

Post by Keg » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:28 pm

I would help if you're willing to let me.However, I have a fever at the moment. Can't think about it until I'm better.When I first registered here, this was the most vibrant forum I've ever seen. I used to post hours worth of research to answer questions. All those personalities. Then it dropped off. I know three went to college. At least one got married... I guess they had to cut back on something to make time.Or maybe they just found a home on one of the other forums. Or they didn't find the connection with their pet.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:08 am

@Keg, there is literally only about five or ten of us senior members left and out of that only a couple of us who still post semi-regularly or regularly.I know we have several members who have either gone to college or are preparing to go in the fall and then a lot of our other members have just drifted away due to life situations or simple lack of interest.At one time we were the largest hermitcrab care community we had the best staff around ten active admin and close to a thousand active members.When I signed back up in 2009 we were doing pretty well there was so much extra work for the admin then that they decided to bring me on after just a couple months of my being back because I had a lot of free time and they needed somebody to be on frequently throughout the day each day to answer questions I then excitedly accepted and started my journey as a staff member.At first things were looking good that lasted until 2012 when a few of our members had to go off to college and after that our numbers just kept dropping off a few at the time never to be seen again.From what I understand this forum has had membership fluctuations since Sasha and Roland first started it back in 2002 they then handed it over to Christa who just recently gave it over to Jedi Master Thrash about a year ago.During all this time regular fluctuations have occurred with a usual peak in attendance every three years or so, well we hit a deep low back in 2013 and should be seeing the beginning of another peak occurring this year but instead we aren't really seeing much improvement it almost looks like we are going into a double low as summer is typically our busiest season with all of the gift shop souvenir purchases but so far we haven't had much activity generated from this.For some reason our host has enabled a guest feature so we have had a lot of people stopping by but not officially registering and since the guest feature is very limited in posting privileges I don't know why its even available???
#Autism Speaks.

Geranium

Post by Geranium » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:15 am

I am still around daily if that helps. Mostly I have been lurking, others seem to have things covered so felt no need to add to the comments.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:16 am

I'm around...Lol.. been busy!! Going to the pool sitting in the HEAT! Soaking up the sun and loving it!! Going to Some girls baseball games. My friend has a little girl in 2nd? Then cleaning the clinic still at night, come home take care of my bird..the 2 crabs I have left, clean my own place. I'm pooped.. I clean the local hair salon place now. Once a week it's 25$ extra. Well getting ready to go go a retirement seminar in Springfield..get to stay in a hotel for free. Mini vacation!!

Topic author
jenok

Post by jenok » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:52 am

You guys think you can help crabber 85 for the next couple months since I won't be on much to post? We're still getting a few newbies in that need help and you never know what day they decide to come on and post questions.Good for you laurie. I'm all about free stuff. Enjoy your mini vacation.Yeah when JMT took over he started posting more often, but then just drifted off. Kinda miss him posting too he had lots of good info and ideas.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:18 pm

People need to take time to read the sticky threads in bold and most of their questions would be answered or research before getting a crab would save a lot of crabs from dying from stress. I will try to check in but I just don't think to much about it cause I really don't have to many issues w my crabs

Keg

Post by Keg » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:18 am

@LAURIEResearch before getting a crab. That would be the best thing ever to do, of course. But may I ask all you guys:How many of you researched before getting a crab?I didn't. My girlfriend needed me to take care of it for awhile and the crab liked me better than her. There was no time to study and it took me a long time to get up to speed.Many, if not most crabs are probably bought on impulse (or gifted) and they never make it to the forum.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:09 pm

@Keg, about 99 percent of all hermitcrab purchases are impulse buys because the person very often a young child sees the crabs in their brightly painted shells on neon gravel in a store display cage which is also more often than not completely set up wrong which only adds to the impulse purchase pressure on the customers not to mention that the crabs are marketed as cheap easy to care for pets that only require a couple of inches of space to survive and thrive which we all know is completely wrong.All that said when I got my first crabs as a seven year old back in the summer of 92' I wasn't old enough to really understand the concept of doing research to learn about the animal beforehand not to mention there was very little info available on them at the time and all of it was looking back on it now worse than useless, however when I turned eleven and got my next set I was old enough to do the research and was quite enthused about learning as much as I possibly could about them before I got them for my birthday that year and from then on I never stopped researching as new, better and more accurate info was steadily and regularly coming available.I think I might have been an exception to the rule because of my O.C.D. issues.lolI agree I do need some eyes and ears on here helping me to catch new threads as they come in and help answering posts in a timely and friendly fashion as I'm not able to be on regularly enough anymore to do it all on my own.I'm hoping after Dec of this year things will be more settled down for me so I can be back full time or at the very least more regularly.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:14 pm

At keg: my son just went and got crabs then dumped them on me then YES I did go and researched about land hermit crabs. That's how I found out that a 5 gallon tank w a scant of eco earth with no heat and feeding them fish food was all wrong. I went and bought a 29 gallon tank at a yard sale and found this site. Happy to say I have one of my original crabs from 2009 my 2 live in 55 gallon tank and I have learned a lot over the years and I always research a pet before I get one. I have a cockateil. I had to wait 3 months for one and I researched a lot about them and I still am ..