Velcro to hold up second levels?

Archived information regarding the proper control and maintenance of your crabitat.

Theodora

Post by Theodora » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:14 pm

Can I use Velcro to hold up second levels? I am out of suction cups. LOL

Geranium

Post by Geranium » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:04 am

Velcro came with several of my gauges and I used it. I am concerned about the glue though. And with the humidity being so high in the tank, it didn't last very long.Peg

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:40 pm

velco didn't last long in my tank either

Topic author
beka

Post by beka » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:56 pm

The sticky Velcro that came with my gauge has out-lived the gauge! It's also been better than the suction cups! Not sure why I still have it on the glass and my crabs don't touch it~
Hermit crab stalker and owner of 6 PPs: HHHC (F) & HHH, Santa Clause (M), Pearl (F) Zelda, Link
6 Es: Krispey Kreme (F), Money Maker Mike, Ms Clause (M), Hermie 10 (M), stitch
RIP Lobby the Straw (cheetah and squinty) and sandra d, milo, s2

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:04 am

@Theodora, velcro can be used to hang light weight things pretty successfully but if your planning on having any weight on them then you'd be better off using suction cups at a later date.Different brands of velcro have different strength or weight ratings and the most commonly available velcro strips don't have a very high rating and will peel apart under excessive weight strain.You can try to use the velcro and see how it goes but don't expect to much out of it.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:32 pm

I've tried nearly everything to hold things up in my tank! Recently I picked up some hooks from the Dollar Tree. They hang on to he side of the tank and support all the weight I put on them.
6 Purple Pinchers: Two E's.
Demon, Cabela's Gimli
San Fransisco Gandalf
Coconut, Stitch
King Kong Junior

mom_0f_3

Post by mom_0f_3 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:41 am

I use the command hooks...they do great holding up my second levels. I use the corner shower caddys and the hooks easily hold it up. I had 2 hooks that have been in the tank for over a year and I just recently took it down to move it somewhere else. So i recommend using them if you can. My crabs leave them alone and even the one that i finally took down and moved did not have any claw or pincher marks on it. hope this helps.
No longer have mine and miss them every day
http://s1168.photobucket.com/albums/r49 ... f_hermies/

Theodora

Post by Theodora » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:22 pm

Thank you guys! you have been really helpful

Tetra4CClyPtus

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:38 am

In my opinion, I think velcro under weight along with humidity will not hold up, so the only velcro I use is just to hold up the hygrometers ! I remember my Dalek( he is about jumbo) he was climbing to a magnaturals rock level I got, and he knocked down the hygrometers !But Velcro can use for small crabs I love these magnaturals magnetic rock ledgesIt will make the crabitat more natural looking and they get a lot of sizes

dylan644

Post by dylan644 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:34 am

You could try some high strength stuff. Just don't expect to get it off if you accidentally put it on wrong.

Topic author
beka

Post by beka » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:37 am

I couldn't get command strips to work in my tank! And for some reason only certain suction cups work, though I don't know that it is brand specific. Actually I was just given a tank and took the shower caddy off I the glass and attempted to put it on mine but it just slid right off and wouldn't even entertain the idea of sticking. I can't get the "oil trick" to work with suction cups ever either.
Hermit crab stalker and owner of 6 PPs: HHHC (F) & HHH, Santa Clause (M), Pearl (F) Zelda, Link
6 Es: Krispey Kreme (F), Money Maker Mike, Ms Clause (M), Hermie 10 (M), stitch
RIP Lobby the Straw (cheetah and squinty) and sandra d, milo, s2

dylan644

Post by dylan644 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:30 am

I've never been able to get them to work either. So I ended up putting aquarium silicone on them. It worked until the crabs knocked them off.

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:43 am

I used Velcro in my tank many years ago and it separated one day...my one crab Ocean got stuck on the glue that was on the backing and it was horrible getting her loose because she was moving around so much. I never recommend Velcro for that reason.
~ crabbing since 2003