Help

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.
Locked
User avatar

Topic author
Hermie_Beginner
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:43 pm

Help

Post by Hermie_Beginner » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:50 pm

So I'm wanting to get some hermit crabs, I know some of the basics but I do need some help.

What items do you guys suggest that are inexpensive for items such as, Thermometer, Humidity Measurer (Forgot what that's called), Heat Source, Rot-Resistant Wood (I want to build my own Crabitat), Climable material. I also want to have this neat water fall using a water pump, any suggestions on that?

Now finally, I hope, what foods do you guys recommend?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie_Beginner
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:43 pm

Re: Help

Post by Hermie_Beginner » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:51 pm

I do know you need deep substrate, No painted shells and etc.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie_Beginner
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:43 pm

Re: Help

Post by Hermie_Beginner » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:52 pm

Also, what substrates do you guys suggest

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk


fantasybookworm
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:59 am

Re: Help

Post by fantasybookworm » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:28 pm

Undertank heaters are recommended for heating source - mounted on the back of the tank, not on the bottom. The most popular seem to be Ultratherms, which can be ordered online. I got mine from Reptile Basics.

Check out the FAQ and guides here - http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... m.php?f=51 They contain a lot of information and will answer some of your questions. :) Substrate and food are both covered in the topics there.

I know a lot of people get Acurite thermometer & hygrometers, and that they can be bought at Walmart. No experience with them myself, I buy mine from pet stores. I think right now I have a National Geographic one and something else, can't recall the brand.

Crabs really like cork bark and cholla wood for climbing on. Mopani wood is good too, I currently have a chunk in my tank & my adventurous small crab, Eowyn, loves to climb around on it.

I wouldn't suggest doing the waterfall thing - many others have tried and it never ends up lasting long. The crabs drag in too much stuff into the water, especially sand, when they go swimming, and the pump ends up clogged & broken. Not to say you can't try yourself, I guess, but know that it'll likely die in a few months. Also keep in mind that if you want a water feature like that or if you have large pools (they do need to at least be large enough for the crabs to submerge), it would be a good idea to have a false bottom on your tank to prevent floods from killing any molters.

User avatar

JulesRolyCrab
Posts: 399
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:22 pm
Location: United States

Re: Help

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi! Welcome to the HCA, it's awesome that you are researching hermits before purchasing, great job! :D So glad you asked. So. Here are all the care sheets, for basic crab care:
viewforum.php?f=51

aaaaand basic crab care itself:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=92457

Anyway, in response to your questions:

For a temperature/humidity, 2-in-1, I use "Acurite Digital Themometer": http://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Digit ... r/16888914

Heat source, "Ultratherm Heat Mat", for a 10 gallon tank (for larger tank, use larger size. Heat mats should be place on the outside back of the tank, above the substrate line): http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultratherm ... -uth-6-x11

Wood-- do you mean for their climbing? If so, I use cholla from the Hermit Crab Patch: http://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Cholla-C ... /cl011.htm

Oh, I guess that was the climeable material.... Whoops. Did you mean wood to build a case/ crabitat? Sorry!

I also use plastic vines from Petsmart-- just rinse/soak before use. You can pickup cheaper ones at Michael's or a craft store, but make sure it isn't scented or harmful to the crabs.

For substrate, most crabbers (myself included) recommend/prefer a 5:1 ratio of play sand (clean, undyed) and Eco Earth coconut fibre, usually the compressed brick form you can get at a pet store.

Make sure you buy a water dechlorinator and sea salt for pets at the petstore too. Most recommend Instant Ocean salt, and Seachem Prime dechlorinator. A small bottle is about $4 and can last virtually forever.

I think I covered what you asked... Hopefully I helped. Oh, and for cheaper options, for example, you could do a DIY coconut hut for a hide, or an empty, clean butter container, provided it's not clear (are there such things as clear butter containers??!!!).

What type of tank are thinking of getting? How many crabbies? Best of luck! :)

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see fantasybookworm's msg, lol. I use the Acurite digital thermomter, and it works, but be warned, the display will mess up. I kept it because it still reads accurately, but the temp display is screwed up. Don't know about waterfall/water features, I honestly haven't tried yet, but many use bubblers w/ great success. Oh, and sorry for the novel of a post. :D

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie_Beginner
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:43 pm

Re: Help

Post by Hermie_Beginner » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:32 pm

JulesRolyCrab wrote:Hi! Welcome to the HCA, it's awesome that you are researching hermits before purchasing, great job! :D So glad you asked. So. Here are all the care sheets, for basic crab care:
viewforum.php?f=51

aaaaand basic crab care itself:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=92457

Anyway, in response to your questions:

For a temperature/humidity, 2-in-1, I use "Acurite Digital Themometer": http://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Digit ... r/16888914

Heat source, "Ultratherm Heat Mat", for a 10 gallon tank (for larger tank, use larger size. Heat mats should be place on the outside back of the tank, above the substrate line): http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultratherm ... -uth-6-x11

Wood-- do you mean for their climbing? If so, I use cholla from the Hermit Crab Patch: http://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Cholla-C ... /cl011.htm

Oh, I guess that was the climeable material.... Whoops. Did you mean wood to build a case/ crabitat? Sorry!

I also use plastic vines from Petsmart-- just rinse/soak before use. You can pickup cheaper ones at Michael's or a craft store, but make sure it isn't scented or harmful to the crabs.

For substrate, most crabbers (myself included) recommend/prefer a 5:1 ratio of play sand (clean, undyed) and Eco Earth coconut fibre, usually the compressed brick form you can get at a pet store.

Make sure you buy a water dechlorinator and sea salt for pets at the petstore too. Most recommend Instant Ocean salt, and Seachem Prime dechlorinator. A small bottle is about $4 and can last virtually forever.

I think I covered what you asked... Hopefully I helped. Oh, and for cheaper options, for example, you could do a DIY coconut hut for a hide, or an empty, clean butter container, provided it's not clear (are there such things as clear butter containers??!!!).

What type of tank are thinking of getting? How many crabbies? Best of luck! :)

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see fantasybookworm's msg, lol. I use the Acurite digital thermomter, and it works, but be warned, the display will mess up. I kept it because it still reads accurately, but the temp display is screwed up. Don't know about waterfall/water features, I honestly haven't tried yet, but many use bubblers w/ great success. Oh, and sorry for the novel of a post. :D
I appreciate the long post actually, thanks, will keep all of this in mind! I want to build my tank from rot resistant wood so it'll last and be customizable, I want them to have an epic life, so I plan to have a water fall with a hiding hole with a little tunnel system kinda thing, along with high climbing material. Like a playground for Hermies

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie_Beginner
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:43 pm

Re: Help

Post by Hermie_Beginner » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:32 pm

fantasybookworm wrote:Undertank heaters are recommended for heating source - mounted on the back of the tank, not on the bottom. The most popular seem to be Ultratherms, which can be ordered online. I got mine from Reptile Basics.

Check out the FAQ and guides here - http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... m.php?f=51 They contain a lot of information and will answer some of your questions. :) Substrate and food are both covered in the topics there.

I know a lot of people get Acurite thermometer & hygrometers, and that they can be bought at Walmart. No experience with them myself, I buy mine from pet stores. I think right now I have a National Geographic one and something else, can't recall the brand.

Crabs really like cork bark and cholla wood for climbing on. Mopani wood is good too, I currently have a chunk in my tank & my adventurous small crab, Eowyn, loves to climb around on it.

I wouldn't suggest doing the waterfall thing - many others have tried and it never ends up lasting long. The crabs drag in too much stuff into the water, especially sand, when they go swimming, and the pump ends up clogged & broken. Not to say you can't try yourself, I guess, but know that it'll likely die in a few months. Also keep in mind that if you want a water feature like that or if you have large pools (they do need to at least be large enough for the crabs to submerge), it would be a good idea to have a false bottom on your tank to prevent floods from killing any molters.
Will keep the false floor thing in mind for sure! Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9103
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Help

Post by wodesorel » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:12 pm

No such thing as rot resistant building wood that is also crab safe. You have to seal whatever you use with a 2-part epoxy. Marine epoxy is the best but it's expensive. I use Envirotex Lite for smaller projects but it would cost even more than marine epoxy on a big project. The base needs to be a hardwood (not soft like pine) and you need to coat it at least three times for it to be scratch proof and waterproof. It's a pain! If you can find a used large aquarium it's a lot less of a headache.

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9103
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Help

Post by wodesorel » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:57 am

Sorry, that wasn't a complete answer. ;)

2-part fiberglass resin with or without the fiberglass also is safe once cured and aired out.

Potable water paint, which is a specialty coating for use inside water towers.

There is like one or two paints on the market used for sealing concrete fish ponds, those are safe. 2-part epoxy paint should also be safe.

1-part coatings cure by evaporating nasty chemicals, and this can continue for years, which is why they are not safe. 2-part coatings cure by chemical reaction, and in the case of plain epoxy once that reaction is finished you end up with inert plastic.

Anything used to build plywood aquariums and frog vivariums will also be crab safe, with the caveat the crabs have claws and will pinch at anything they can get their claws around, so it has to be claw and nail proof as well.

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie_Beginner
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:43 pm

Re: Help

Post by Hermie_Beginner » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:30 pm

wodesorel wrote:Sorry, that wasn't a complete answer. ;)

2-part fiberglass resin with or without the fiberglass also is safe once cured and aired out.

Potable water paint, which is a specialty coating for use inside water towers.

There is like one or two paints on the market used for sealing concrete fish ponds, those are safe. 2-part epoxy paint should also be safe.

1-part coatings cure by evaporating nasty chemicals, and this can continue for years, which is why they are not safe. 2-part coatings cure by chemical reaction, and in the case of plain epoxy once that reaction is finished you end up with inert plastic.

Anything used to build plywood aquariums and frog vivariums will also be crab safe, with the caveat the crabs have claws and will pinch at anything they can get their claws around, so it has to be claw and nail proof as well.
Well the wood only shows in the exterior, on the interior it'll be completely covered, let me find the video I found my inspiration through

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie_Beginner
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:43 pm

Re: Help

Post by Hermie_Beginner » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:32 pm

Hermie_Beginner wrote: Well the wood only shows in the exterior, on the interior it'll be completely covered, let me find the video I found my inspiration through

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
https://youtu.be/WdUoT7toVdQ

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9103
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Help

Post by wodesorel » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:50 pm


User avatar

Topic author
Hermie_Beginner
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:43 pm

Re: Help

Post by Hermie_Beginner » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:57 am

wodesorel wrote:That would be Edis's: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 6&t=101262
My god! Thanks, I'm glad he's on here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Locked