My Power's Out! How to heat tank??

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
melina

My Power's Out! How to heat tank??

Post by melina » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:23 pm

My power has been out for an hour and doesn't seem like it's coming back on anytime soon.. The temp in the tank has already dropped to 73.. It probably won't get much lower since it's warm out tonight. Will my crab be okay in this temp overnight? Idk how to heat the tank without power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Re: My Power's Out! How to heat tank??

Post by Crabinski » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:38 pm

I wasn't online last night and apologize for not replying sooner. I certainly hope this situation has been resolved by now but here are a few tips for keeping crabs tanks warm in power outages:

1. Blankets! Wrap the tank with blankets, top, sides and back.
2. If hot water is still available (i.e., water heater gas-powered), fill small plastic containers with hot water, put the lids on and place the containers in a few spots in the tank.
3. Just to have on hand in case of emergency, pick up a few hand-warmer packs -- they're easy to activate and place in the tank. It's also a good idea to have one of those tin-foil-looking mylar emergency thermal blankets on hand as they can also be wrapped around a tank to retain heat.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

crabby_D

Re: My Power's Out! How to heat tank??

Post by crabby_D » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:30 am

Great info here. Thank you!